Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2896 times)

Agentorange

Re: Hello
« Reply #15 on: 00:38:03, 21/09/19 »
I suspect he means the photo of the young girl who had been napalmed (which was something different). Agent Orange was a defoliant used in the jungle that had some pretty nasty side effects, mainly due to dioxin residue.

I was about to say if it's that one it's napalm, not that Agentorange was wonderful either

Agentorange

« Reply #16 on: 00:40:19, 21/09/19 »
and hasn't this thread gone off-topic!

Anyway, welcome AO (which is also a Depeche Mode instrumental)   :)  Where do you walk?

Thread creep is kind of inevitable I think...

Mostly walk in north west Kent which is where I live, though can drive so have walks planned in east Kent and bits of Sussex.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 04:44:32, 24/09/19 »
Hi AO & welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:23:47, 25/09/19 »
If you really don't like your name, Agentorange, the simplest thing to do is just start a new account with a new name. Not sure if names can be changed on this forum.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

SloMo

« Reply #19 on: 17:09:03, 26/09/19 »
Welcome from Leicestershire

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:32:14, 26/09/19 »
Welcome from Manchester  :)

Not sure if names can be changed on this forum.

Almost certainly not, at least on all forums I know - it can only be changed by the forum owner or a moderator, and then only with a lot of persuasion - it's a significant job.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:45:41, 27/09/19 »
I would stick with your name, your post on how you chose it is more interesting than many. In my case I chose a name that represented the sort of walking I was doing 15 years ago, however this sparked of and interest in the Definitive Map and it's vagaries and inadequacies. Some of my posts seem to put the backs up of some, from time to time; so what, have I got to remodel myself into some sort of PC clone?

There is another side to the ingredients of the defoliant, one I seem to remember as 2 4 D and the other something something T, I practically had to bathe in the stuff in my younger days before the days of strict H&S regs. At a venerable age I am still about, had I succumbed to some of the maladies it is deemed responsible for, I would be dishonest if I did not own up to some other lifestyle choices that could also given me ill health.

In another topic there could be scaremongering on agricultural fertilizer use, having been a farm manager at the time that industry was using practices that had lifted production from a level well below the needs of a nation, at the time of war, to national self sufficiency. I remember having to adjust fertilizer applications with a rusty old ratchet, now photo recognition combined with computer control can change rates on the move by very small degrees.

The point; maintain a sense of humour, do not respond to knee jerk judgement that so often is the result of sound bite learning triggering a stereotypical  mass reaction.
I like your name, I know you are from Kent and Welcome to the forum from Shropshire.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:05:56, 27/09/19 »
I've had a look back at the comments about the username 'agentorange.' I can't find anyone who wrote asking 'agentorange' to change it, some wrote (like me) that the username prompted unpleasant memories of the past, a couple of clarifications were offered as regards the well known photo of the little girl and a suggestion was made that if 'agentorange' as an individual was doubting the continiued use of his or her username it was explained as to how he could change it. I changed my username once, it was easy to do.

I'm one of those people who believes that being 'politically correct' is an important skill to have. My interpretation of being 'politically correct' that its about being accurate with the language that we use, not a bad thing to aim for in my opinion. In our modern, highly competitive world, especially for the young perhaps, accuracy with language could mean the difference between getting a job, or a career, or not? I wish I'd had this skill when I was younger, when for me it mattered most, but I didn't.

In the 50s, I was bought up on a farm, my mother became so worried at seeing farmers dipping sheep in all sorts of chemicals and pills, pods, lotions and injections being pumped in to them and into other animals, that one day she announced that we as a family would no longer eat any meat! At the age of 74 I still don't.

My brother lived in a cottage on the edge of a farm and I remember when they had to close every window and door (on the instruction of the farm owner) when the fruit spraying tractors came through the orchard at the end of his garden. About ten years later my brother died of a cancer which spread slowly throughout his body and his wife died of cancer three years later. We'll never know of course but as a family we will always wonder if breathing in these farm chemicals had anything to do with it?

I suppose my point is that we, as members of the public, have little or no idea what is being done in the world that may, or may not harm us.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:13:37, 27/09/19 »
Cheers GWM, your common sense and factual answer beat me to it.
Hi AgentOrange a big welcome from insect free  Lincolnshire.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy