Author Topic: TR 24th June Pico de la Zarza and Monte Aguda Fuerteventura  (Read 3054 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member

A walk slightly to the south of where we normally get to this week. We were in Fuerteventura for a family beach and sunbed holiday but we did manage one day out to climb the islands highest peak.
Ironically the only day we had free for the walk was cloudy which made me feel very much at home. On the drive from the airport I thought that the scale and the shape of the islands hills did remind me of the Lakes but a Lakes in which some malevolent giant has stood in the Irish sea and ripped away the grass and greenery like a tablecloth leaving the bare hills behind.
In my guidebook the walk to Zarza started a few miles down the coast from our hotel but after studying our map we found a way directly from the hotel. The summit was covered as we set off but on every other day the mist had moved on by mid morning.
We followed this dirt road up to what was marked on the map as a landfill site.
Looking back over what we assumed was the landfill with Monte Aguda beyond. We thought we would see how hard the walk was before deciding to return over Monte Aguda which has a path on the other side directly to our resort..
The main path can be seen on the ridge to the left, our way over the ridge ahead seemed a bit more rugged (and interesting )
David and James start the short descent to the more rugged section.
Passing this sheep or should that be goat fold on the way.
The ridge we have just come along with the top of Monte Aguda just visible.
On of the wild goats.
Our path met the main path at a marker post.
Unfortunately no sign of the cloud lifting as we head for the only steep section of the walk. 
Which has been made easier by these generous zig zags.
Another goat by the path.
Although quite common abroad signposts like these are very rare in the UK hills.
The summit area is fenced off to keep out the goats and in the spring is full of Canary island daisies.
Looking back down the steep bit.
Condensation collector by the path.
In fine weather there is a great view down to the sea and the long beaches of Playa de Cofete. We could hear the sea but we kept well back from the 'alarmingly abrupt cliff edge' as it says in the guide book.
A lovely remnant of spring was found just below the trig point.
The trig point at 812 m or 2664 ft.
After waiting around for nearly an hour, which was not really a hardship as although it was cloudy it was very warm we made the trip down returning the same way.
Apart from the heat the climb had been quite easy so we tackled the short steep pull to Monte Aguda.
Looking down to the beach resort of Esquinzo.
As with signposts, painting on rocks is frowned upon in UK hills but the locals must think the tourists need a reminder and to be fair the hill was spotless.
And any litter louts would have this fearsome monster to answer to. ( Fuerteventura has been overrun with chipmunks )
Our route was -
Esquinzo - Pico de la Zarza - Monte Aguda - Esquinzo (about 9.5 miles  2950ft of ascent )

April

• Veteran Member
Look at you with ya foreign exploits  :)

Great photos Karl  O0

Are you branching out with your Karls Kut Price Tours?  :D
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member

Look at you with ya foreign exploits 

Great photos Karl   
Ta April ;)

Are you branching out with your Karls Kut Price Tours?  :D

Yes..the more exciting path we found has already been named El camino de gringo numptio  ;D

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Great pics Karl O0   Brings back memories of when I went to Fuerteventura and walked up a volcano!
The Barbary ground squirrels are everywhere, like you say....and are very partial to fig rolls!....

***Happiness is only a smile away***

karl h

• Veteran Member
Great pics Karl O0   Brings back memories of when I went to Fuerteventura and walked up a volcano!
The Barbary ground squirrels are everywhere, like you say....and are very partial to fig rolls!....

Thanks Tracey O0  I remember your trip to Fuerteventura..it's nice but very strange when you are used to green fields and hills ;)

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great pics and tremendous karl O0
Camino naturals, does that mean naked campers  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

karl h

• Veteran Member
Great pics and tremendous karl O0
Camino naturals, does that mean naked campers  ;D

Cheers Mate O0
Didn't see any naked campers but not one of those chipmunks had any clothes on :D

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Good TR & photos Karl  O0
Admirable that you can have a beach/sun holiday and still find some hills to climb. I'll watch out for it in next years brochure.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

Enjoyed your report and photos. karl - I was unaware that Fuerteventura offered good walking possibilities.

I stayed in the north of Fuerteventura many, many years ago with my wife to be but our focus was more on cycling than walking - although we did have a good day out walking around Los Lobos island.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

karl h

• Veteran Member
Good TR & photos Karl  O0
Admirable that you can have a beach/sun holiday and still find some hills to climb. I'll watch out for it in next years brochure.

Thanks IM O0  We only climbed the hill because it was overlooking our hotel. Typically all the guide books say that it's famed for it's views but  i soon brought my lake district bad weather jinx to the island :(

Enjoyed your report and photos. karl - I was unaware that Fuerteventura offered good walking possibilities.

I stayed in the north of Fuerteventura many, many years ago with my wife to be but our focus was more on cycling than walking - although we did have a good day out walking around Los Lobos island.
Thanks Richard O0  I should imagine cycling would be quite hard work with the heat and the quite strong winds we had on most days.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Thanks Richard O0  I should imagine cycling would be quite hard work with the heat and the quite strong winds we had on most days.

It was. We bit off more than we could chew one day - 60 miles over the hills in blistering heat, and we ran out of water. I was so thirsty that I was seriously contemplating scummy water in an irrigation channel! But we found a garage open on a Sunday in the middle of nowhere, and slaked our thirsts on chilled bottles of mineral water.

Our best ride was along the north coast, along which runs a Land Rover track.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
Nice write up and pics  :)

It made me chuckle that the top of a mountain in clag in Fuerteventura looks much like the top of a mountain in clag in the Lakes  :D

Condensation collector?  Why?  (...goes off to google...)

karl h

• Veteran Member
Nice write up and pics  :) 

Thanks Mel O0 

It made me chuckle that the top of a mountain in clag in Fuerteventura looks much like the top of a mountain in clag in the Lakes  :D 

Ha tell me about it..just my luck :(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy