Author Topic: Small and pleasurable!  (Read 971 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Small and pleasurable!
« on: 09:36:27, 02/07/19 »
I like the small pleasures of hiking a lot.

When on the trail I'm in the habit of carrying a small container of 'dry shower' and use it to ease any discomfort on my feet. I find that it works well for me, especially when they are feeling really hot.

I also carry a small Lifeventure shower head and a basic lightweight water container, (up to 1L) and if I've been walking for a few hours, especially when it's really hot and if there's no one around, I sometimes just strip off, hang the container from a tree and have a quick cold shower.

I always keep my tent footprint (or groundsheet) on the outside of my rucksack, really useful when I want to take an afternoons sleep. I sometimes get to the point where the desire to sleep overwhelms me and I need an 'instant bed.' Hat over my face, rucksack as my pillow, shoes and socks off, wiggling my toes, brilliant!

When I can, if passing a shop, I will often buy a tin of Ambrosia creamed rice. I carry it until I can wait no longer then I eat the lot slowly! Always seems to taste the best for me when I've achieved a personal goal, e.g. sitting on the top of a mountain on a nice clear sunny day, relaxing and looking at the scenery. I try to make each mouthful last as long as I can to enjoy the maximum taste.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Small and pleasurable!
« Reply #1 on: 14:40:08, 02/07/19 »

My luxury item used to be a tin of mandarins. Lovely on a hot day when I was flagging a bit - I would drink off all the sugary juice then scoff the mandarin segments - a delightfully refreshing energy boost.

...but I think that I have become rather more Spartan as I have got older - didn't even bother taking a stove when I was camping in the Cairngorms last weekend.
« Last Edit: 23:17:28, 02/07/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:57:07, 02/07/19 »
I like the small pleasures of hiking a lot.

When on the trail I'm in the habit of carrying a small container of 'dry shower' and use it to ease any discomfort on my feet. I find that it works well for me, especially when they are feeling really hot.

I also carry a small Lifeventure shower head and a basic lightweight water container, (up to 1L) and if I've been walking for a few hours, especially when it's really hot and if there's no one around, I sometimes just strip off, hang the container from a tree and have a quick cold shower.

I always keep my tent footprint (or groundsheet) on the outside of my rucksack, really useful when I want to take an afternoons sleep. I sometimes get to the point where the desire to sleep overwhelms me and I need an 'instant bed.' Hat over my face, rucksack as my pillow, shoes and socks off, wiggling my toes, brilliant!

When I can, if passing a shop, I will often buy a tin of Ambrosia creamed rice. I carry it until I can wait no longer then I eat the lot slowly! Always seems to taste the best for me when I've achieved a personal goal, e.g. sitting on the top of a mountain on a nice clear sunny day, relaxing and looking at the scenery. I try to make each mouthful last as long as I can to enjoy the maximum taste.

I carry one of these - cost pennies and attaches to any pop / water bottle from 500ml to 2 litres.

A quick, cheap and lightweight shower head.

[font=&amp]

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:57:31, 02/07/19 »
Excellent buy, I paid a fortune for mine, £10!

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:20:42, 02/07/19 »
Excellent buy, I paid a fortune for mine, £10!

The difference being yours has an 'air vent' so you don't need to squeeze - it is free-flowing.
With the 20p version you need to squeeze, but it easily wets the hair, quick rub with shampoo and then squeeze to rinse.

It also 'squirts upwards' for doing the 'pits & bits'.

Certainly works better and 'more economical with water' than just using an open bottle.

zuludog

« Reply #5 on: 15:10:17, 03/07/19 »
Yes, I often carry either a can of mandarin oranges or creamed rice pudding

In my first aid kit I carry a fruit spoon - that's the one that's bigger than a teaspoon but smaller than a dessert spoon. I suppose a Spork would be more usual now
And a fold - flat P51 can opener

that means if I get stuck for food somewhere I can always open a can of beans or somerthing

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy