Author Topic: An 8 mile trudge up & around Kinder  (Read 3896 times)

wellerchap

An 8 mile trudge up & around Kinder
« on: 10:45:09, 06/01/08 »
Went to Edale in the Derbyshire Peak District yesterday to do a circular walk over Kinder Scout.
This was the pleasant enough approach view from the village where we parked.

This soon gave way to a 300m plod up this rocky gully, following the course of a small river coming off the tops.

Looking down...

And here, at the top where it emerges onto the plateau.

We then shunned the more comfortable route around the plateau's rim and instead went on a 2km slog over the sodden peat bogs on top, taking us about 3 hours, the going was so slow....regularly going in up to the knee  ;D
We then emerged on the regular path which is a river bed, and instead of walking the peat-bog path we opted to walk on through the water.

Here's my mate at the Kinder Gates

...and further on where the river drops off the plateau in the form of the Kinder Downfall.

We climbed down & sat in a small cave overlooking the waterfall & had a bite to eat....the strong wind was blowing the waterfall back up hill & turning the spray into snow as it fell.

We had a faff about on the rocks with the camera.....a 200m drop off 3 sides of this boulder awaited any wrong step, and in that wind was a bit hairy, to say the least.

My mate Adrian looking over towards Manchester

We then had a 3 miles slog downhill to the car, with the last 1½ miles in pitch black, with the torches out.....a super day out, but I'm a bit out of practise & the old body's feeling it a bit this morning!

kkm

Re: An 8 mile trudge up & around Kinder
« Reply #1 on: 21:17:20, 06/01/08 »
fantastic write up ! ta for that..... :)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 01:21:27, 07/01/08 »
Hi there.  Wellerchap a phenomenal pictures and write up.  We walked from Kinder to Black hill yesterday, which I'll try and post up at some point.  Yet another enjoyable read.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

muymalestado

« Reply #3 on: 09:30:46, 07/01/08 »
WOW!  Great day out and thanks for the report wc.  I thought we were hearing of snow danger in the high ground in northern England?  Cornices & avalanches & all that ...
I think this next one will be the top ...

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:44:04, 07/01/08 »
The only apart of England were snow was heading for was in Scotland and The Lake Helvellyn was classed as dangerous as there was known to be having avalanches this weekend, but the apart from that rest of Britain I think was mostly wet wet wet...........  Or just plain cold. Nice photo's
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:37:51, 07/01/08 »
Nice walk, nice pics - but how do you get so many on a report?  If I try it, it says my files are too big.

But what, no snow? - here's a pic taken yesterday in the Cumbrian Pennines.... Go North a little way for the white stuff. It was a bit sloppy at the time but froze hard after about 3:00 pm
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

wellerchap

« Reply #6 on: 12:58:54, 07/01/08 »
thanks for the comments, everyone....the walk distance has now been upgraded after checking on Google Earth's "path ruler" to 10 miles...I feel a bit better now at feeling so bushed when we finished!

The photos are hosted on photobucket, then linked to the write-up using the img brackets.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:06:56, 12/01/08 »
Excellent report, well done wellerchap.

Took in two walks I've done on Kinder, and I don't know what it is about the place but I always feel shattered afterwards.

May have to start using photobucket for my reports as well.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy