Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292136 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #900 on: 15:52:25, 03/11/19 »
One of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071D9MB7J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I've already got a solar panel it's a two panel 12w in a canvas case weighs 300g. The new one is 10w but one panel and only 80g.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #901 on: 21:04:57, 07/11/19 »
Popped into millets after work and bought a pair of cotton type walking trousers ready for our trip out to NZ. I still find cotton cooler and more comfortable than synthetic in the warm of summer.  As long as it doesn't rain.

Litehiker

« Reply #902 on: 04:37:50, 08/11/19 »
Quick StiX add-on plastic discs just below my walking stick handles.
A male disc on one pole mates with a female disc on the other pole and I twist them to form an X for resting my rifle while taking a long shot when hunting deer, elk or antelope here in Nevada. Rifle forearm rests between the handles.

These clever discs are made of high impact "engineering grade polymer" and truly work well with my poles and rifle.

Eric B.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #903 on: 09:19:20, 08/11/19 »
I bought 10 pairs of sew-on 1/2" magnets because I had this 'great idea' of using them to secure the flap across the zip on my rain jacket. Then I got cold feet because of the warning leaflet that came with them. Possible damage to phones mainly?

I now think I will use them on the flap that covers my tent zip. At the moment its Velco'd and I hate Velcro!

I'm organising a new rain kilt with my wife's friends help and guidance so I'm hoping that she will tell me that they will be useful to improve the quality of this item.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #904 on: 19:11:10, 08/11/19 »
I bought 10 pairs of sew-on 1/2" magnets because I had this 'great idea' of using them to secure the flap across the zip on my rain jacket. Then I got cold feet because of the warning leaflet that came with them. Possible damage to phones mainly?

Not to mention a compass Reg  ;)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #905 on: 19:49:14, 08/11/19 »
Or an attraction to fridges or any other large metal object  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

Hadrian

« Reply #906 on: 18:35:20, 10/11/19 »

Saved up my pennies and bought a Rab Kangri Gore-Tex jacket from my local Cotswold Outdoor, and with my NT card I got a good deal. Wore it on a 7 mile walk today, and very pleased so far. Just need to try it in heavy rain!

taxino8

« Reply #907 on: 18:10:52, 15/11/19 »
Just received an Alpkit Brukit in the post today.
First impressions are good, another stove to my ever expanding collection, I think I’m up to about seven now.

How many stoves do you have?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #908 on: 19:16:43, 15/11/19 »
Oh yes, compass. In all the years I have been hiking, I've always carried one but have never used it once.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #909 on: 19:32:10, 15/11/19 »
Oh yes, compass. In all the years I have been hiking, I've always carried one but have never used it once.

I guess it really depends on where you go walking. Down in Englandshire, following well layed out footpaths you probably don't really need one. Up here in Scotland and also in the Lakes and Snowdonia where mist is common. Footpaths aren't always easy to follow or don't even exist and are often covered in snow. Here having a compass and the knowledge to use it is very handy.

Before some bright spark says it, yes you can use a GPS on the same way you would use a compass.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #910 on: 22:50:58, 15/11/19 »
I guess it really depends on where you go walking. Down in Englandshire, following well layed out footpaths you probably don't really need one.

You do!!! When you arrive at the edge of a large field with no obvious path, and you can't see where you should exit the far side. When you come to a fork in a path or track, usually in a wood, and you're not sure which one to take. When you've gone a wee bit wrong (aka lost) and need to get back where you should have been. And many more.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #911 on: 08:27:00, 16/11/19 »
Just ordered an Osprey Talon 44 rucksack to replace a Lowe Alpine which I have had for probably 30 years.
It's all uphill from here.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #912 on: 08:30:06, 16/11/19 »
You do!!! When you arrive at the edge of a large field with no obvious path, and you can't see where you should exit the far side. When you come to a fork in a path or track, usually in a wood, and you're not sure which one to take. When you've gone a wee bit wrong (aka lost) and need to get back where you should have been. And many more.
Not to mention foggy days on Dartmoor, Bodmin Moor, Exmoor and all the other moors (also taking the correct exit out of the car park)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

andyapanel

« Reply #913 on: 16:29:22, 16/11/19 »
A-Z Coast to Coast

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #914 on: 17:46:08, 16/11/19 »
Not to mention foggy days on Dartmoor, Bodmin Moor, Exmoor and all the other moors (also taking the correct exit out of the car park)
What they said plus picking the right path in the middle of a forest or taking a bearing to work out later what that distant hill was.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy