Author Topic: Scafell Pike - best route to the top?  (Read 41425 times)

Ruthr

• Veteran Member
Scafell Pike - best route to the top?
« on: 11:20:59, 09/06/11 »
When we go away to the lakes in the summer I'd like to give Scafell Pike a go. Just wondered what the most kid friendly route to the top would be. When I say kid friendly I mean least boring - preferably with interesting things to see, waterfalls to look at, rivers to paddle in etc. Also the route would need to be the one with least exposure as I'm not great with heights..
Sponser Emma to walk Scafell Pike next month in aid of Brace and in memory of her Great Nan
http://www.justgiving.com/emmas-challenge

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
Re: Scafell Pike - best route to the top?
« Reply #1 on: 12:48:52, 09/06/11 »
Hi
The most direct route and steepest way up to with no exposure is from the car park at wasdale head.
As you face lingmell you can see a path to your right going across and around the hillside and around lingmell towards Lingmell Gill.
When you reach Lingmell gill you are looking up towards  Mickledore. Scafell Pike on the left, Scafell on the right
Follow the path up Lingmell Gill. Just before you reach Hollow Stones follow the path that bears left around Lingmell till you reach the the highest point. Summit of Lingmell to your left and the path to the summit of Scafell Pike to right. Return the same way
The walk is around 5.3 miles return and you climb around 3100 ft

If you decide to return via Styhead Tarn  theres a bit where you sramble up  a 8ft rock staicase above Peirs Gill
Very easy but path give you sense of a big drop into Piers Gill. No danger just keep facing the rock. It's when you look behind and down you would have problems.

If you go up by Styhead Tarn via the Corridoor Route its around 4.5miles to summit. you have to climb down this bit.. ::)

The other ways and no exposure are from Hard Knott Pass road. The road is an adventure itself  ;D

The longest way is around 11.5 miles return and which alot do is from Seathwaite. Nice slog to till you finaly get to the top of  Broad Crag around 3064ft. with the summit of the pike in view.
Then comes a sting in the tail  :)   You have drop down into a coll then climb up over 300ft to the pikes summit  :) You dont see this till the last minute  ::) 

Good Luck with walk  O0 O0

« Last Edit: 19:44:09, 09/06/11 by Ridge Walker »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:26:30, 09/06/11 »
RidgeWalker is right (it must be something to do with the name) about shortest route being from Wasdale Head but you can cross the beck and walk up Lingmell which, for a little more effort, avoids the crowds. Then head right after Lingmell's lovely cairn to go up the last bit of Scafell Pike.

Ruthr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:30:44, 09/06/11 »
Thanks for the info. Not too worried about distance as the little one is capable of doing 10 miles or so - more worried that it might be a bit of a boring slog with not too much to see (aside from the views of course). I guess if we went from Wasdale head she'd prob enjoy chucking stones in Wastwater at the end of the walk :)
Sponser Emma to walk Scafell Pike next month in aid of Brace and in memory of her Great Nan
http://www.justgiving.com/emmas-challenge

rdpounder

« Reply #4 on: 18:10:21, 09/06/11 »
Ridge Walker or Ridge, have you ever returned to Wasdale via Lingmell Beck (rather than Lingmell Gill)?  I've got a book that has a walk which starts off going up Lingmell Beck, via a path on the southern side of the beck (doesn't appear on OS maps) and returns via Lingmell itself and Lingmell Gill, but this could easily be reversed I assume (?)

The book says that there is a series of pools/waterfalls in Lingmell Beck that could provide a nice little dip on the way down if we're a bit hot.  The book is 'Walk! The Lake District (South)' by Charles Davis.  To quote "....passing countless plunge pools and mini-races that are so appealing the compulsion to jump in is almost overpowering"

Also, what's the parking situation at Wasdale head like?  How much?  Does it fill up early on a good day?  It's about a 50min drive from where we're staying
« Last Edit: 18:21:47, 09/06/11 by rdpounder »

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:46:27, 09/06/11 »
I have only done it the longest route from Seathwaite on a lovely day and it was a cracking walk, quite varied and challenging in places. Impressive route through the Corridor. I found the Pike itself a hard slog as it's clambering over boulders a lot of the time and a bit laborious but when you get to the top the views are well worth it!  O0

Just don't come back and do the descent via Great End! lol  ;D

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:07:10, 09/06/11 »
Ridge Walker or Ridge, have you ever returned to Wasdale via Lingmell Beck (rather than Lingmell Gill)?  I've got a book that has a walk which starts off going up Lingmell Beck, via a path on the southern side of the beck (doesn't appear on OS maps) and returns via Lingmell itself and Lingmell Gill, but this could easily be reversed I assume (?)

The book says that there is a series of pools/waterfalls in Lingmell Beck that could provide a nice little dip on the way down if we're a bit hot.  The book is 'Walk! The Lake District (South)' by Charles Davis.  To quote "....passing countless plunge pools and mini-races that are so appealing the compulsion to jump in is almost overpowering"

Also, what's the parking situation at Wasdale head like?  How much?  Does it fill up early on a good day?  It's about a 50min drive from where we're staying

Hi parking at wasdale is a big field. There is a basic campsite close by. The parking at wasdale inn I think is restrcted to patrons only. I have never had probs parking up. It's a while since I've been there so I'm sure that others will update.

Lingmell beck & Lingmell gill are opposite sides to lingmell itself. Yep its as you describe if you have had some rain.
You can follow lingmell beck round but then you encounter Piers Gill. Its the big L shaped  chasm on the wasdale side of Scafell Pike. This is for experienced scramblers & climbers only with ropes. It is dangerous when wet.

The first section of walking up the side of Piers Gill, though rocky, is fairly straightforward. Having lulled you in to a false sense of security amidst the imposing crags you are suddenly confronted with rock walls on all sides.Then you take your choice of route to scramble up the rock. There are 2 or 3 unavoidable short sections of scrambling and plenty of opportunities for more scrambles for those so inclined.

After passing the ‘elbow’ of the gill, the walking becomes generally much easier again as the path leads you to it’s junction with the Scafell Pike “Corridor Route” from Styhead
Would not advise coming back this way as it would take great care  This again may have changed.?

I did piers gill years ago with ropes in the dry with some pitches over 60ft. brill  O0

« Last Edit: 20:08:22, 09/06/11 by Ridge Walker »

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:15:31, 09/06/11 »
I have only done it the longest route from Seathwaite on a lovely day and it was a cracking walk, quite varied and challenging in places. Impressive route through the Corridor. I found the Pike itself a hard slog as it's clambering over boulders a lot of the time and a bit laborious but when you get to the top the views are well worth it!  O0

Just don't come back and do the descent via Great End! lol  ;D

Steve
Just been watching Miss Bradbury doing the same walk. AW fav way up Scafell Pike  O0 
We did a srcamble up the face of great end and returned by sty head tarn.  O0 O0

Fatboysontour

« Reply #8 on: 19:44:36, 09/06/11 »
Yep I agree with Ridgewalker, to fit in with your requirements, go from the car park at Wasdale Head, it's your best bet. The walk from Seathwaite is around 9 miles and though has a lot of interesting places, like Styhead Tarn and Sprinkling Tarn. It would be a long day for young children. Not everyone has a copter to take them down back to the car, like the lovely Julia. The Fatboys have done the peak a few times and the three I liked the best were 1. From Wasdale Head which we did fast in just over two hours up and down, 2. Directly up from Great Moss a great scramble and thirdly the AW walk slightly adjusted to descent around the corridor route. This you can view on our site to give you an insight from the following link: http://www.youtube.com/user/apcdoctor?gl=GB&hl=en-GB#p/u/28/uvx_100RaWQ [nofollow] Part 1 and http://www.youtube.com/user/apcdoctor?gl=GB&hl=en-GB#p/u/27/uf3Jafc4PoU [nofollow] Part 2. Told you it was a long day.
Hope you have a great climb and well done on introducing your children to the joys of the Lakes.
All the best

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:22:46, 09/06/11 »
AW walk slightly adjusted to descent around the corridor route. This you can view on our site to give you an insight from the following link: http://www.youtube.com/user/apcdoctor?gl=GB&hl=en-GB#p/u/28/uvx_100RaWQ Part 1 and http://www.youtube.com/user/apcdoctor?gl=GB&hl=en-GB#p/u/27/uf3Jafc4PoU Part 2. Told you it was a long day.
Hope you have a great climb and well done on introducing your children to the joys of the Lakes.
All the best

Excellent vids. Ah memories    O0 O0 O0   
« Last Edit: 20:30:40, 09/06/11 by Ridge Walker »

Fatboysontour

« Reply #10 on: 22:30:45, 09/06/11 »
Thanks Ridgewalker, glad you liked the vid's, but too long a day for the Children I think, especially if the weather is not as good.
Regards
Graham

rdpounder

« Reply #11 on: 23:35:43, 09/06/11 »
Ridgewalker, the route in the book isn't via Piers Gill, it's via Sty Head.  The book explicitly says that none of the walks in it involve scrambling.  Cheers for the warning though, noted.

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:28:45, 10/06/11 »
IvRidgewalker, the route in the book isn't via Piers Gill, it's via Sty Head.  The book explicitly says that none of the walks in it involve scrambling.  Cheers for the warning though, noted.

Hi sos about that.  :-[  You are correct no scrambling. I thought you meant to follow Lingmell Beck all the way.
I think what you mean is going up Scafell Pike via Sty head, then  the Corridor Route, it's about 4.5miles the  pike's summit. Then you can return the same way. Or return via lingmell gill.
Yep you follow Lingmell beck from the carpark for about 1.6 miles then the path splits. you go left to styhead, the right path follows the beck round to Piers Gill.
As  I said there's one tiny bit where you have to use you hands on the corridor route near pieirs gill . Its about  8ft rock staicase above Peirs Gill you scramble down .Very, very easy  but it gives you the sense of a  drop into Piers Gill.   :)
 It could be a problem for people who have a difficulties with heights like the poster of  this thread.
Good luck  O0 

« Last Edit: 12:34:48, 10/06/11 by Ridge Walker »

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:13:51, 10/06/11 »
What is the 'easiest' route, one with a nice path with no scrambles - if there is one....

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:42:32, 10/06/11 »
What is the 'easiest' route, one with a nice path with no scrambles - if there is one....

Hi botty.
The most direct route and steepest way up to with no exposure is via Lingmell Gill from the car park at wasdale head. has a good path with fells around you till you reach the coll between Lingmell & the Pike  O0 Then a steep but easy walk up to the summit.
Only dizzy bit you may encounter is stood on top of the summit cairn, If you can find room   :2funny:

From my first post quote  ;)
As you face lingmell you can see a path to your right going across and around the hillside and around lingmell towards Lingmell Gill.
When you reach Lingmell gill you are looking up towards  Mickledore. Scafell Pike on the left, Scafell on the right. 
Follow the path up Lingmell Gill. Just past Hollow Stones follow the path that bears left around Lingmell till you reach the the highest point. Summit of Lingmell to your left and the path to the summit of Scafell Pike to right. Return the same way
The walk is around 5.3 miles return and you climb around 3100 ft
Good Luck  O0
« Last Edit: 17:14:04, 10/06/11 by Ridge Walker »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy