Author Topic: Scafell Pike - best route to the top?  (Read 41495 times)

botty

• Veteran Member
Re: Scafell Pike - best route to the top?
« Reply #15 on: 13:39:23, 10/06/11 »
Cheers Ridge Walker.

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:03:13, 13/06/11 »
Re Corridor route.
Hi the scramble mentioned is near Piers Gill but crosses Greta Gill. Sos all  :-[ :-[  Below a few pics  :)

Rocky step on the Corridor Route
The path goes next to Piers Gill  O0

robnolo

« Reply #17 on: 21:21:44, 13/06/11 »
I spent 3 fab days camping at Wasdale Head campsite last week and went up Scafell Pike via Styhead, Sprinkling Tarn, Esk Hause and Broad Crag. It was an excellent walk, (im not good with exposure, and I had no problems at all), although the bit after Broad Crag was a killer!

Parking at Wasdale Green is free with loads of space. 

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:47:45, 13/06/11 »
Just looking at the OS map there does appear to be lots of paths once you get about half way up after heading up Lingmell Gill - any chance of someone posting an image showing the easiest route for less experienced walkers - cheers O0

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 05:02:05, 14/06/11 »
Just looking at the OS map there does appear to be lots of paths once you get about half way up after heading up Lingmell Gill - any chance of someone posting an image showing the easiest route for less experienced walkers - cheers O0

Hey Up botty. Below is a crap pic showing route. Also a vid here  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpyFh4cQyHc

Also this one  http://www.english-lake-district.info/scafell-pike/wasdale-route-map.html

Remember this way is the steepest but the easiest. Around 3mils & 3000ft accent to the summit. Return the same way  O0

Plenty of rests & seeing some of the TR'S you have done allow yourself around 6hrs to complete the walk. 
Start around 8am to avoid the crowds.  That way you can take your time and enjoy a full day  ;) O0

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 05:42:05, 14/06/11 »
I spent 3 fab days camping at Wasdale Head campsite last week and went up Scafell Pike via Styhead, Sprinkling Tarn, Esk Hause and Broad Crag. It was an excellent walk, (im not good with exposure, and I had no problems at all), although the bit after Broad Crag was a killer!

Forgot mention to about that way that avoids the corridor route. Sprinkling Tarn is one of the hidden gems of the lakes  O0 

I remember my first time that way. We did  Great End on the way not realising whats in store.  You slog your way up  on to Broad Crag looking across to the summit of the Pike thinking not much higher to go now.  Suddenly that drop into the coll come's into view  :o :o 

The last climb is only around 250ft but it looks like climbing Everest   ;D 
Did you come back the same way?

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 06:40:15, 14/06/11 »
Avoid the crowds....go from Eskdale and visit Pen.....but be prepared for a long day.

Dave

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:40:52, 14/06/11 »
Cheers Ridge Walker - just what the doctor ordered. We've got a cottage booked in the grounds of Irton Hall in Eskdale are are up there for a week from the 8th July.

rdpounder

« Reply #23 on: 17:45:45, 14/06/11 »

Thinking we might do this in reverse.  i.e. go up Scafell Pike via Lingmell fell and then return via Broad Crag, Esk Hause, Sprinkling Tarn, Styhead and then walk down Lingmell Beck.... we want to take a dip in the pools on the way down, weather permitting.  Can you see any problems with doing the route this way around?

robnolo

« Reply #24 on: 17:58:09, 14/06/11 »
Hi

After reaching the summit, I reversed my route and returned via Broad Crag, Esk Hause, Sprinkling Tarn, Styhead etc. The drop from the summit to the coll before Broad Crag is a bit slippy under foot, but really no problem at all, and from Esk Hause down its a pleasent stroll with places to stop and enjoy view.

rdpounder

« Reply #25 on: 18:05:21, 14/06/11 »
Hi

After reaching the summit, I reversed my route and returned via Broad Crag, Esk Hause, Sprinkling Tarn, Styhead etc. The drop from the summit to the coll before Broad Crag is a bit slippy under foot, but really no problem at all, and from Esk Hause down its a pleasent stroll with places to stop and enjoy view.

Cool, thanks for confirming this.  As we'll have my girlfriend's 7 year old with us (who is an 'experienced' hill walker) I'm just checking that there aren't any nasty surprises in store....other than good old hard work of course!

robnolo

« Reply #26 on: 18:09:02, 14/06/11 »
From Broad Cragg to before Esk Hause you have to step across a boulder field, which is good fun, just follow the cairns and you cant go wrong!

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:46:26, 14/06/11 »
Cheers Ridge Walker - just what the doctor ordered. We've got a cottage booked in the grounds of Irton Hall in Eskdale are are up there for a week from the 8th July.

Hey botty
Here's a few more pics  O0

Brown Tounge in the center of the 2 gills you can see the path you would take just above the right gill  :)  This pic has been taken from the path that goes straght up to Lingmell, well above the one you take

Lookin back from the climb up Scafell Pike towards the coll and Lingmell beyond.  You can just see the path to the left that comes up to the coll

The rocky summit of of Scafell Pike lookin towards  the cairn  ;)  without the snow of course

You can stand on the summit cairn if there's room   ;D

Scafell Pike summit cairn

:) :) :)

Highs and Lows

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:23:13, 16/06/11 »
The route from Eskdale is an interesting way up. A less frequented path (until you get to Broad Stand), you'll pass an impressive Waterfall on the way up and could take a paddle in the River Esk on the way back down. There is a small car park 1km to the East of The Woolpack Inn (which is a nice place to stop for some refreshments after your walk). This route is approx. 17.5 km long with 1123 metres of ascent/descent.

Some photos I took from there last Saturday

Scafell Pike

looking down to Upper Eskdale

I didn't find the mountains - the mountains found me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/some_photos_by_jim

wizard of mountains

« Reply #29 on: 19:00:33, 18/06/11 »
in my humble opinion....... the best route up would be from honister via brandreth, green gable and great gable then pick up the corridor route and make your way to the summit. return via broad crag, ill crag and great end and down via seathwaite.

for a longer day you can also skirt around the front of the pike and onto scafell and then progress to the pike summit after.

and for a truly long day and on allan crags and glaramara and finish in rosthwaite
the best is yet to come

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy