Author Topic: Anyone done the Stand Crags route in Dovedale?  (Read 648 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Anyone done the Stand Crags route in Dovedale?
« on: 08:42:21, 22/06/18 »
I'm just looking at possible routes up onto Little Hart Crag and looked at this route as an alternative to the usual ways up it. Has anyone done it? I've found a few bits and pieces on the internet and there is a brief description in Mark Richards fellranger book. It seems to be mainly pathless but how steep, rough and bracken choked is it?

Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Anyone done the Stand Crags route in Dovedale?
« Reply #1 on: 09:00:15, 22/06/18 »
This thread caught my interest as I have been up lovely Dovedale twice this year (despite living in Orkney). I've not been on the Stand Crags ridge, but if you look on Bing Maps satellite view, you can clearly see a path branching off towards it from upper Dovedale - approx. GR 381113.
« Last Edit: 09:06:20, 22/06/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:32:42, 22/06/18 »
Thanks Richard, I've not used Bing maps before. I may be looking at the wrong thing perhaps but I can't see any path up on to the ridge at that grid ref? Checking on viewranger where the GR is and then on the bing map it seems to be in shadow there on the bing map? Like I say it is probably me, I've not used bing before ;D

A path on the ground isn't that important, we like a bit of off piste, it was more the terrain, how rough it was and if it would be bracken choked that I was interested in. It might be one where we go and see for ourselves but we might regret it with carrying our camping gear. I will see what beefy wants to do, known route or unknown route  :)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:43:45, 22/06/18 »

Pretty sure that I've got the GR right, April.

Here's the path (hope that the link works) - https://binged.it/2IgGN7w

Bing maps is particularly good because you can view 1:50000 and 1:25000 OS maps!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:54:52, 22/06/18 »

Regarding 'off piste' - I descended south from the Hartsop Above How ridge down steep slopes into Dovedale this February, as the usual path below Dove Crag was covered in hard steep snow - regretted it; very hard going over steep grass and then vegetated scree, and I was mightily relieved to reach the bottom of the valley in one piece. I'll not be going that way again.

No bracken to worry about at that time of year though. :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:56:46, 22/06/18 »
I did see that path on the Bing map, the grid ref seems to be for near where it says Stangs according to viewranger but this is in shadow on the bing map. Thanks for this info though Richard, I will use Bing again, now I know of it  O0 I will see what beefy thinks, I think there will be some bracken up there at the moment, we might just play it safe in the end and go the route we know.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy