Author Topic: Bradford Dale and Lathkill Dale  (Read 1859 times)

harry_keogh

Bradford Dale and Lathkill Dale
« on: 16:01:43, 10/02/17 »
Gorgeous weather for this one a couple of weeks back.

Trip Report: Bradford Dale and Lathkill Dale

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Bradford Dale and Lathkill Dale
« Reply #1 on: 18:54:12, 10/02/17 »
Nice photos Harry  :)   Looks like you took a similar route to the one I do, although I usually start this walk from Over Haddon.

***Happiness is only a smile away***

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:16:49, 10/02/17 »
Enjoyed the TR and photos. I did this walk on a dull day last March also from Over Haddon and have earmarked it to do again this year when the trees are in leaf. Found the Mandale Mine and Bateman's House of interest.

Only one grumble. Sitting eating my Sunday lunch of cheese sandwiches and watching two dippers, I heard the sound of constant splashing upstream. Into view came Henrietta and Jeremy clad in green wellies and Barbour with their Labrador. Now there are notices everywhere asking people to keep their dogs out of the water to avoid disturbing waterfowl, but this couple continually threw a stick into the river for the dog to retrieve. Even after they had passed i was aware of the splashing continuing down stream. As a member of the peasant class I bit my tongue and said nothing. Just made me a little angry.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:40:23, 10/02/17 »
Very good photos    :)     Thanks for sharing

These dales are so beautiful and I've loved walking there. 

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:08:56, 10/02/17 »
Thanks Harry. Bradford Dale is a lovely little dale which I have walked many times. When I was last there in 2015 I got hold of a very intersting book on the local history of the area. I never realised how much mining went on in the Bradford/Alport area.

The steps down into Cales Dale can be treacherous  in winter when it is very wet. Great photos.

Hope you don't mind me saying so but I think the photo with the caption "A ford crossing the River Ashop" is the River Bradford near Mawstone Lane in Bradford Dale looking up to the "swimming pool" in the river Bradford. I stayed in a holiday cottage near there and used to walk up by the river before breakfast.

Wish it was a local walk for me and not a 4 hour drive. :(
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

harry_keogh

« Reply #5 on: 23:11:28, 10/02/17 »
Lostme1 - youre quite right! I used the blog post from a previous walk - the alport castles one - as a template for this one. I changed the photo accordingly but forgot to change the caption! Ill try and remember to change that tomorrow! If you really want to see the ford crossing the river alport then you'll have to check the other blog post! :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:45:00, 11/02/17 »
If you really want to see the ford crossing the river alport then you'll have to check the other blog post! :)

Is this the one Harry?...

I crossed it myself around this time last year! :D

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:48:52, 11/02/17 »
........Just made me a little angry.

+1.....and I make my feelings very clear if I see nesting birds being disturbed in this way.

harry_keogh

« Reply #8 on: 22:03:10, 11/02/17 »
Sunnydale - yes thats the one. Didnt cross it myself as it looked a touch too deep. I chickened out and used the bridge :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy