Author Topic: Hydration in this hot weather  (Read 2074 times)

MichaelUK

Hydration in this hot weather
« on: 18:41:01, 28/06/18 »
I am planning a multi day hike in mid July, St. Cuthberts Way and St. Oswalds Way back to back, though not going onto Holy Island, so technically not the full Way! In preparation I went for a 2 day hike on Tuesday with full pack 11kg, and that was with 3 ltrs of water. As we know it was very hot, and still is. I used my water filter in several streams, and by 8pm I had ran out of water on the first day.  Had to ask a house holder who was watering their plants to fill my water bottle, which they kindly did. I walked 30 mile Tuesday over rough terrain, the Durham Dales Challenge route! And 20 miles Wednesday. I arrived at Middleton in Teesdale on the first evening, bought some water, sat and drank it. I noticed how much salt was showing on my clothes. Mulled about it and came to the conclusion that water is only part of the solution, we need the essential salts and minerals. There is a condition called polydipsia, excessive thirst. It is also common in schizophrenia, where the person drinks excessive water, flushes out all the essential minerals. Can cause seizures and death!
So dont forget to hydrate appropriately. A lesson learned for me, and I should know better being a nurse.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Hydration in this hot weather
« Reply #1 on: 19:54:30, 28/06/18 »

Totally agree.  There's more to hydration than water, particularly in hot weather and/or prolonged strenuous activity.

I've worked out that as soon as I start tasting salt on my lips I need to be drinking more and as soon as my water starts to taste alkaline (can't think of a better word for it) I need to take on board electrolytes to replace the lost micro-vitamins and minerals.  Plus, if I've not been for a wee for 8 hours then I should have paid attention sooner!

There have been discussions on here in the past about the use of electrolyte/energy gels (and even the dreaded Kendal Mink Cake!) for challenging days out but I do think it's something that folks don't realise until they experience it... feeling weird despite drinking lots of water. 

Oh, and there's lots of delusional nutters on this forum.... obviously dehydrated....  ;)   :D

... anyone for a cuppa?  :crazy2:

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:26:24, 29/06/18 »
I carry a few sachets of Dioralyte - (designed for use with Diarrhoea) they replace all the necessary salts, electrolytes and minerals if 'over sweating'.

MichaelUK

« Reply #3 on: 08:29:12, 29/06/18 »
Ive just bought several boxes. Tesco own brand

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:23:11, 29/06/18 »
I put Power Bar or Zero hydration tablets in my Osprey water bladder - making up a somewhat more dilute solution than that recommended. Makes the water taste nice and puts back electrolytes. True that if I subsequently use plain water there is a taint of the previous flavour but it is not unpleasant and only lasts one fill - can be overcome by leaving water bladder full with fresh water overnight.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:28:13, 29/06/18 »
Oh, and there's lots of delusional nutters on this forum.... obviously dehydrated....  ;)   :D

Aye, I need to hydrate, it will be wine time from 6pm, I will make sure I drink plenty of it  O0
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:41:57, 29/06/18 »
Aye, I need to hydrate, it will be wine time from 6pm, I will make sure I drink plenty of it  O0

Are you hydrated enough yet April?  :D

kevilsonlad

« Reply #7 on: 20:18:07, 29/06/18 »
Just been up the lakes this week and omg it was hot walking but took plenty of water and energy drinks . Biggest walk we did was a 9 mile walk , did plan for bigger ones but didn't chance it kept them down to around miles.

MarkT

« Reply #8 on: 21:50:37, 29/06/18 »
In connection with this......are cold, ice cold or hot drinks better???

Im doing a 16 mile flat walk tomorrow along the Essex way. have  4lts of juice in the fridge but is there any gain from freezing them? I've read that frozen water weighs the same as liquid so shouldn't be an issue of weight but is colder drinks of any more benefit to you?

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:56:43, 29/06/18 »
In connection with this......are cold, ice cold or hot drinks better???

Im doing a 16 mile flat walk tomorrow along the Essex way. have  4lts of juice in the fridge but is there any gain from freezing them? I've read that frozen water weighs the same as liquid so shouldn't be an issue of weight but is colder drinks of any more benefit to you?

If it is too cold it can give you stomach cramps, but I guess an hour or two in these temperatures and it would be far from frozen.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:13:05, 29/06/18 »
I put Power Bar or Zero hydration tablets in my Osprey water bladder - making up a somewhat more dilute solution than that recommended. Makes the water taste nice and puts back electrolytes. True that if I subsequently use plain water there is a taint of the previous flavour but it is not unpleasant and only lasts one fill - can be overcome by leaving water bladder full with fresh water overnight.

Will have to give this a try.  My legs have threatend to cramp up few times after a decent walk in hot weather.  Seems to be hours after the walk and resting that it happens not while active.  I do sweat a lot.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 05:46:30, 30/06/18 »
Are you hydrated enough yet April?  :D

Sorry I didn't reply last night. I overhydrated and fell asleep  :D  >:D
Hate will never win

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 06:48:16, 30/06/18 »
Sorry I didn't reply last night. I overhydrated and fell over :D  >:D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:31:55, 30/06/18 »
The simple answer is to simply avoid venturing out in such hot conditions.
In the current heatwave conditions, its best to take as much fluid as you can physically carry, and even then you will probably not have enough.

Its been so hot here on the West coast of Wales all week, that ive not bothered to venture out into the hills above my home.

I had wanted to visit Bryn Cader Vaner, to take some photographs, but all this week it been above 30C, that's in excess of 90F, with such intense sunshine, that its almost impossible to walk in.

So far, Humidity levels have been very low, but by next Monday that will change according to the Met Office.

Its the cruel heat and high humidity that will lead to dehydration for the unprepared.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:48:22, 30/06/18 »
Fruit pastilles.  O0
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy