Author Topic: Covid-19 shutdown  (Read 3632 times)

snaderson

Covid-19 shutdown
« on: 07:47:20, 17/03/20 »
Anyone know what's happening with pubs in the Lake District? I've got a couple of short breaks booked in the coming weeks - one of them staying in a pub - and I don't know whether they will or should go ahead. Where would I be able to get an evening meal? I'm not sure I can take a camping stove into a hotel! I know it's early days and it probably depends on the business itself, but a couple of the bars near me in Manchester are switching to being off licences for the time being (they're small places that always sold a certain amount of stuff as off sales). I don't want to desert small businesses just when they need all the help they can get.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Covid-19 shutdown
« Reply #1 on: 08:54:41, 17/03/20 »
I don't want to desert small businesses just when they need all the help they can get.

I understand your sentiment but what choice is there?
I've already decided that my trip to North Wales won't be taking place in May. I might intend to walk and wild camp on my own for up to four days, but there would be 'comfort stops' at motorway services on the way, a campsite with communal washrooms on the first night, a pub meal, and all repeated after the walk.
As I'm over 70 it's just too risky (and exactly WHAT are the "underlying health conditions" that never seem to be specified?) It's a great shame, particularly as I'm running out of years to be able to do such things, but if I don't take care that time could run out sooner rather than later.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:26:07, 17/03/20 »
The only way to know is to contact them directly and leave it as late as possible to do so as things are changing so quickly.
I work for a theatre and at the end of last week we issued a statement to say that we would stay open as long as possible. Yesterday, with the new government advice, we closed to the public for the next 3 months finishing our current show early and postponing the next.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:53:14, 17/03/20 »
I have put my planned Pennine Way hike on hold, the idea of walking and walking and not be able to have a beer and a meal does not appeal to me.

I am one of those people who are over 70 but I am fit and have no underlying health issues. I don't smoke or vape, I am not overweight and have no heart, breathing or diabetes issues. From knowing the regulars in my pub I would readily suggest to some of them (they won't listen of course) that those who are between 20 - 50yrs are possibly more at risk than me, my judgement is that compapred to me they live rubbish lifestyles.

What I want to feel confident about as soon as possible is, is this virus floating freely in the air and therefore can spread over a wide distance, or is it just a problem between human being close contact? I would also like to be confident that the virus is not being spread by drinking water from the tap. I would also like to trust the word of our Government which at the moment I don't!

My concern is that what may be driving them at the moment is just raw politics, the desire to stay in power at all costs and at the expense of the majority of the population whilst they and their 'friends' just keep trying to accumulate more of the nation's wealth to their coffers. I can see a lot of financial hardship coming for many people in this country, so if help is offered will it be be offered to 'you' or will it be focused on people that are already wealthy in the first place? I am also struck by the differences in approach than that of the EU. Our Government, of course, may in fact be doing it better than the EU and that they should be learning from us but if our Government is playing politics just to confirm we are out of EU and want to prove a point that they are not going to coperarate with the EU then to me that's pathetic! A virus does not recognise any nation-state boundary, we all know this, but do they and have they the maturity to recognise it?

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:25:02, 17/03/20 »
I am rearranging  two holidays today, both based in Keswick, one in 10 days time and 1 in mid May. I am transferring them to similar dates next year.

I do not believe the government is playing politics with this serious situation. You only have to see and hear the support their actions are getting from the other parties. They all realise this is beyond anything we have suffered before.

It's all uphill from here.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:17:36, 17/03/20 »
What I want to feel confident about as soon as possible is, is this virus floating freely in the air and therefore can spread over a wide distance, or is it just a problem between human being close contact?

Call me neurotic, but I did wonder yesterday during one of my two drives into West London, chauffeuring the OH to work and back to avoid the Tube, if it could come in the car air vents.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:00:06, 17/03/20 »
Call me neurotic, but I did wonder yesterday during one of my two drives into West London, chauffeuring the OH to work and back to avoid the Tube, if it could come in the car air vents.
  If it were floating about on the highways and byways we would all have had it long ago.  It cannot multiply on its own, if can only reproduce itself inside a living cell.  Eventually that cell bursts releasing more viruses to infect other cells.  To spread it has to leave the body, being exhaled in aerosol droplets from the lungs.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:21:45, 17/03/20 »
Controlling the spread of COVID-19: Health Secretary's statement to Parliament

"Even if you or anyone in your household don’t have symptoms, there is more that we have to ask of you.
Today we are advising people against all unnecessary social contact with others and all unnecessary travel.
We need people to start working from home if they possibly can.
We should steer clear of pubs, clubs, cinemas and restaurants.
We should only use the NHS when we really need to.
This advice is directed at everyone..."

It is quite clear what you should do to follow this advice.
I have just cancelled a forthcoming holiday in Snowdonia - I might lose all of the money that I have paid so far, but so be it.
« Last Edit: 14:25:59, 17/03/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:27:25, 17/03/20 »
You can call me neurotic as well but when my wife and I are in the car we breather the air in the car, the vent to the outside stays closed. Mind you, I did read a couple of days ago that the inside of most cars is comparable in germs to a motorway service station toilet.

While I respect your information Ninthace, is it your opinion, or are you confident that its a fact? That is the main bit of information I want to believe in because if it's true then surely that makes it easier for all of us? All I want to have is an 'open and honest' relationship with our Government, but it's difficult for me when I already know our Prime Minister has a proven record of being a liar.

We are all individuals and we are all different as well and in my case, I have worked with a number of liars, psychopaths, fantasists and so on for most of my adult life, so it's not so easy for me to just accept warm fuzzy TV presentations without the feeling that I still want to ask a question or two. In my eyes at the moment Mr Johnson is trying to go from being 'pantomime man' to 'serious and concerned man,' I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, I have to but I am on my guard at the same time.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:28:11, 17/03/20 »
As I'm over 70 it's just too risky (and exactly WHAT are the "underlying health conditions" that never seem to be specified?)

Underlying health conditions have been well publicised, and include: heart conditions, any respiratory problems, diabetes, cancer.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:29:40, 17/03/20 »
Controlling the spread of COVID-19: Health Secretary's statement to Parliament

"Even if you or anyone in your household don’t have symptoms, there is more that we have to ask of you.
Today we are advising people against all unnecessary social contact with others and all unnecessary travel.
We need people to start working from home if they possibly can.
We should steer clear of pubs, clubs, cinemas and restaurants.
We should only use the NHS when we really need to.
This advice is directed at everyone..."

Comes over to me that they don't want to be blamed if they are proved wrong. I personally prefer Mr Marcron's view that we are at war!

It is quite clear what you should do to follow this advice.
I have just cancelled a forthcoming holiday in Snowdonia - I might lose all of the money that I have paid so far, but so be it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:42:42, 17/03/20 »
Anyone know what's happening with pubs in the Lake District? I've got a couple of short breaks booked in the coming weeks - one of them staying in a pub - and I don't know whether they will or should go ahead. Where would I be able to get an evening meal? I'm not sure I can take a camping stove into a hotel! I know it's early days and it probably depends on the business itself, but a couple of the bars near me in Manchester are switching to being off licences for the time being (they're small places that always sold a certain amount of stuff as off sales). I don't want to desert small businesses just when they need all the help they can get.

All open while on my C2C, even today when I finished, pubs in RHB open with many enjoying a pint, including me  O0
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:46:50, 17/03/20 »
For the virus to spread there needs to be reasonably close contact with someone who has it, hence the idea of keeping your distance. It can also survive for short periods on surfaces, which is what is driving the wash hands frequently message. It's not floating about in the air waiting to pick on you  ;D
Where there's a will ...

snaderson

« Reply #13 on: 14:52:24, 17/03/20 »
It's all rather depressing. I don't want to be selfish but I do invest a lot of emotional dependence on getting out into the countryside. The prospect of not going out for months horrifies me.

I don't suppose I could get away with sitting in the hotel room with a takeaway and a few tinnies, could I?  ::)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:00:27, 17/03/20 »
It's all rather depressing. I don't want to be selfish but I do invest a lot of emotional dependence on getting out into the countryside. The prospect of not going out for months horrifies me.

Me too. But I am lucky enough to live close to the fells, and I'm not likely to infect anyone whilst on the hill.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy