Author Topic: SNOW ?  (Read 2341 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: SNOW ?
« Reply #15 on: 15:17:17, 15/12/18 »

I remember the winter of 1962-3.
Mother had always warned us of the 'bottomless' spring which fed the millpond at Leatherhead. Even in the hardest winters the centre of the pond would remain a stretch of unfrozen moving water where the ducks crowded together but that winter, for the only time I can remember, the millpond froze over completely. Cautiously we advanced onto the ice and eventually stood looking down through the crystal clear ice directly into the wide opening of the spring below where the weeds were still moving in a flow of water!
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:19:41, 15/12/18 »
Not fully relevant but we were once called in to dive a "bottomless" section of the Ribble.  I forget what for - in these cases it was usually a Saxon Hoard or a crashed Spitfire or the like.  Anyway, I got fully booted and spurred to explore this wonder, entered the water and walked across to the far bank without getting my weight belt wet!
We dived Windermere once in the depths of winter when there was loads of snow and took great delight in leaving strange giant froggy footprints coming out of the water.
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:42:08, 15/12/18 »
So far it's still only rain here in Stirling but it could well be snowing higher up. I love the winter and regard it as the main season, as much for the skiing as for walking/mountaineering. Although we've had a few big dumps of snow already this winter it didn't last it rarely does until after Christmas/New Year but then it stays to well into May or even April. So, keeping my fingers crossed for another winter of fun in the white stuff.

I'm heading for Marr Lodge this New Year to slum it with the peasants. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3c/Mar_Lodge_03.JPG/1280px-Mar_Lodge_03.JPG 

staggerindragon

« Reply #18 on: 19:00:15, 15/12/18 »
Wind and freezing rain in malham atm. It's layering up on exposed surfaces an slick as can be.  I hope anyone who started out before it began got back in one piece.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:08:36, 16/12/18 »
I am planning to take a winter skills course in the Helvellyn. Have any of you been on one?

You might be interested in the winter skills videos published online by Glenmore Lodge in the Cairngorms, Slowcoach.

Here's one for starters:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=glenmore+lodge+ice+axe&view=detail&mid=51E0C6564B093CD02C3851E0C6564B093CD02C38&FORM=VIRE

Enjoy your course!

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:40:59, 16/12/18 »
Richrdh. Thanks, that was the best video i have watched about ice axe arrest. I have watched a lot but really fancy having a go.
It's all uphill from here.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy