Author Topic: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere  (Read 39910 times)

Strider

• Veteran Member
Re: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere
« Reply #45 on: 17:04:29, 13/12/17 »
Now this is interesting.  A couple of organizations have thrown their weight behind the proposals:

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2017/12/12/tourism-and-business-bodies-back-thirlmere-zipwire-plans

What's most interesting about it is that Michael Turner, director of TTT: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06785855/officers

is also director of Cumbria Tourism: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03027358/officers

No vested interest there then!   ::)

Not all those who wander are lost

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 17:06:21, 13/12/17 »
Ah, I read about Cumbria Tourism's backing for the plan - didn't realise the connection though!  >:(

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 17:28:43, 13/12/17 »
The comments underneath that Grough article say it all, especially Stuart Holmes reply. Let us hope the nightmare will be over for all of us who are horrified about this proposal and the LDNPA make the right decision and refuse it.
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 11:01:21, 14/12/17 »
Michael Turner and Joanna Turner (related perhaps  >:( ) also own just over 25% of the share capital so stand to gain from the profits generated by this development. 

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 09:11:50, 17/12/17 »
I see Terry Abraham has resigned from his post at the charity Lake District Foundation (formerly Nurture Lakeland) who seemingly don't object to the proposed Zip-wire(s).

A great gesture, it's a pity other Lake District 'celebrities' aren't quite as forthcoming with their views ...Hinkes, Richards, Powell-Thompson?

Steve18566

« Reply #50 on: 06:58:29, 18/12/17 »
I remember Chris Bonington was in favour of the Honister proposals, but Terry Abraham is (I believe) the first well known name to speak up about Thirlmere - well done Terry.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 08:12:41, 18/12/17 »
I remember Chris Bonington was in favour of the Honister proposals, but Terry Abraham is (I believe) the first well known name to speak up about Thirlmere - well done Terry.

Bonington resigned as vice-president of Friends of the Lake District because they opposed the Honister zip-wire.
Same principles, just a different viewpoint.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #52 on: 09:03:56, 18/12/17 »
For those of you who don't follow Terry Abraham on Facebook, he has this morning posted this comment:

STATEMENT: MY RESIGNATION AS AMBASSADOR FOR THE CONSERVATION CHARITY 'THE LAKE DISTRICT FOUNDATION'
 On Friday 15th December 2017 at the launch of the conservation charity ‘The Lake District Foundation’ (formerly Nurture Lakeland) at Low Wood Bay Hotel, Windermere I announced my resignation as an ambassador in protest at their decision to remain neutral with regards to the proposed Thirlmere Activity Hub by Treetop Trek.
 The charity states it’s aims as “promoting the conservation, protection and improvement of the physical and natural environment and cultural heritage of the Lake District by providing funding and support for conservation, environmental and cultural initiatives in the Lake District and Cumbria.”
 My decision was considered but ultimately impulsive and it saddens me deeply that I felt compelled to speak out. My feelings and emotions as someone who profoundly cares for the Lake District and Cumbria were inevitably overruled by thoughts of a bigger, more important picture which affects the national park and others around the UK.
 The charity’s trustees includes the national park authority, National Trust and Cumbria Tourism. I had been told prior to the launch I was not allowed to express an opinion publicly opposing the plans proposed by Treetop Trek at Thirlmere in association with the charity. I could only do so as an individual. This didn’t feel right for me both personally and supposedly as an ambassador for a conservation charity. I found this neutral stance to be at extreme odds with what the charity claims to represent. Cumbria Tourism (CT) of course recently publicly backed the plans for the Thirlmere Activity Hub of which the director of Treetop Trek sits on the executive board which I found most peculiar as CT’s strategy has a long held convention of neutrality with regards to planning applications.
 Treetop Trek have revealed in their plans they’ll donate sums to The Lake District Foundation if the eight zipwires over Thirlmere are approved by the national park authority. The director of The Lake District Foundation revealed at the launch they’d take money from anyone, anywhere and as much as possible to make the charity a success in the future.
 The argument for the Thirlmere Activity Hub and The Lake District Foundation’s neutral stance goes against everything I feel I stand for and care about in terms of inspiring people to care for the Lake District. The idea the scheme will inspire youth for adventure and appreciate the outdoors I find tenuous at best. The likely admission cost, what’s involved with the zipwires and the potential detrimental effects with regards to conservation markedly conflicts with the role of both the national park authority and the charity; to conserve, enhance and protect.
 People of all ages and backgrounds can go ghyll scrambling, scrambling, climbing, kayaking, mountain biking, cycling, fellwalking, skiing and much more besides in Lakeland which are considerably less intrusive than zipwires. These activities offer more benefits for one’s physical and mental health and appreciation for the environment; better still enjoyed with local groups and guides to really get a sense of fun or danger.
 A few months ago I was offered a free ride on the longest zipwire in Europe which is also the fastest in the world in North Wales, on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park. It resides amongst a working industrial quarry and is an attraction owned by Zip World. I produced a video for social media, shared how much I enjoyed it - it’s fun, I’m not anti-zipwire - but I did make the point it’s in a suitable location and I wouldn’t like to see such an obvious attraction over Thirlmere in the very heart of a national park, especially when it’s just been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
 I was then pressured by sources who wish to remain anonymous to delete the video from my social media as Zip World didn’t appreciate the Thirlmere Activity Hub references and some followers’ negative comments about Treetop Trek. I couldn’t understand why this was happening as I was only stating an opinion and others were only expressing their’s. Despite feeling rather angry at the situation I found myself in, I reluctantly agreed to remove the posts. Some weeks later I discovered that Zip World has connections to Treetop Trek and just recently ‘Zip World Lakes Ltd’ has been registered as a business at Companies House.
 We all stand on the shoulders of giants: Wordsworth sowed the seeds of the idea of national parks; Scotsman John Muir emigrated and contributed to the creation of national parks in the US, we in the UK followed suit; the Kinder mass trespass; the roots of the National Trust; Beatrix Potter fought against the industrialists who sought to transform Lakeland for their own needs. Thirlmere ironically is a birthplace of the conservation movement from when it was flooded to become a reservoir. Ullswater England’s most beautiful lake was planned to be a reservoir at one point but thankfully this didn’t succeed.
 Thirlmere stands as a monument to actions of the past and should always act as a reminder to stand up for conservation when under threat no matter how large or small. The audacious plans by Treetop Trek I feel are better served elsewhere within the Lake District but better still on the outskirts perhaps in West Cumbria - where such an attraction would prove to be genuinely fantastic for the local economy in drawing more visitors to that part of the county and ease the pressures of tourists in Lakeland during peak periods.
 I’ve always sought to inspire and enlighten the public to the beauty and wonderful heritage of the Lake District with my ‘Life of a Mountain’ documentaries which have been seen by millions of viewers on the BBC. The area isn’t a museum of course and will always evolve over time, be it aesthetically or geologically but it is after all a national park; a fact we cannot deny. Millions of visitors come to Cumbria every year and will continue to do so and there’s good reason. Conservation plays a huge part in that and accessibility to admire it’s delights too.
 On Friday I considered all the above and much more besides. I feel terribly sad that things turned out the way it did. I wrestled with my conscience and decided at the very last minute I couldn’t agree to represent a charity which stands in conflict with not only my own beliefs, integrity and convictions regarding conservation but also has tenuous links and contacts with some groups and possible individuals who in turn have links elsewhere and who I feel do not have the national park, it’s people, visitors or the nation’s interests at heart.
 Despite my own feelings and remorse I do hope it encourages the public to scrutinise and hold those in charge accountable for their decision making processes, representation or stances - be it a conservation charity or otherwise when it comes to protecting the Lake District or any other national park.
 Terry Abraham
 Independent Outdoors Broadcaster and Photographer, Cumbria
 (‘Life of a Mountain: Scafell Pike’, ‘Life of a Mountain: Blencathra’ and ‘Alan Hinkes - The First Briton to Climb the World’s Highest Mountains’)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 10:23:57, 18/12/17 »
Thanks Lakeland Lorry and well said Terry Abraham O0

I am shocked that he was told he couldn't express an opinion opposing the zip wire proposals at Thirlmere. Perhaps other well known people are having similar problems with the organisations they represent?
I am sure I have seen Alan Hinkes oppose this zip wire plan publicly, I think it may have been on facebook?

I would be interested in Eric Robson's viewpoint on the zip wire.
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 11:55:28, 18/12/17 »
Thanks for posting Terry Abraham's statement - it states, far more eloquently than I could, everything I think is wrong with this development.  It also shows the pressure being brought to bear by businesses, and the links between them and demonstrates their vested interests.  Nobody on the zip wire proposal side is in this for anything other than profit, and [censored] to the environment.

Paul 

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #55 on: 12:32:37, 18/12/17 »
I've just taken a look at the Grough article about Terry Abraham resigning and it appears that the comments section has been cut off that particular page.   I'm sure that there were comments posted earlier, but there's nothing now.

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2017/12/18/thirlmere-zipwire-film-maker-terry-abraham-expands-on-reasons-for-charity-resignation

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 12:50:02, 18/12/17 »
I imagine that grough's owners may be concerned that potentially defamatory remarks might be posted, as emotions are getting quite raw.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 13:31:07, 18/12/17 »
I noticed that too, I'd scrolled down to read the comments, very odd there are none?

I have sent my email to the LDNPA today after rewriting it about 10 times! Objecting to the plans, of course.

I checked the Planning Application today and the St Johns and Castlerigg Parish Council have submitted their comments. It is at the bottom of the list. It is a No from them.
http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=7/2017/2298
Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #58 on: 14:24:44, 18/12/17 »
To me, it appears that quite a few people and organistions are being told not to voice their opinion.

I don't believe that can be anyone from the 'against' side of the argument, so that only leaves one candidate.   No prizes for guessing who that will be.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 18:45:31, 18/12/17 »
The comments section has now appeared in the Grough article.

Let us hope the LDNPA reject this proposal; they should reject it if they stick to the principles of why they are there.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy