Author Topic: Attacked By A Large Dog Today  (Read 4076 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: Attacked By A Large Dog Today
« Reply #1 on: 15:59:30, 31/05/20 »
Obviously my walk was cut short:

https://peakwalking.blogspot.com/2020/05/attacked-by-large-dogfollowed-by-visit.html

Sorry to hear about your experience with the dog Lee , but still happy to see those photos you managed to take .
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:10:56, 31/05/20 »
Sympathy.

I’ve had one mild-ish bite and a couple of close calls.

The scariest one was when walking a public footpath alongside of a fairly high wall...behind which there was a large “attack dog”...no idea what breed but very large and aggressive.

I was just thinking “thank goodness that brutes at other side of wall”...when it promptly took a run at wall, scrambled up and over.

No idea what recommended line is..but idea never crossed my mind it was going to be calmed down by dog whispering or any such cobblers.

Fortunately I spotted a very large stone, picked it up, and got ready for aggro. It worked like magic...as soon as it saw stone in my hand it stopped running at me, turned round and rescaled wall.

I assume it was some sort of guard dog for house wall surrounded..but I wasn’t tempted to knock on door and ask, anyone who keeps a dog like that isn’t going to be Joe Amicable.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:24:08, 31/05/20 »
Dangerous dogs are for me (an off-road runner) an obvious danger every time I go out. I never know who I'm going to meet. My 'solution' for what its worth, is to always carry, strung across my back, is a horseriders whip. Very lightweight only about 24" long, easy to use accurately, it cost me a fiver from Go Outdoors, it's pink, that's why! Also its a very useful asset to 'tap' cattle and difficult horses out of the way.

I have used it, but only once have had to land a real blow, a 'tap' or the threat of a 'tap' usually suffices. I don't let the dogs see it, I stop, stand my ground and hold it ready behind my arm just poised for action if needed. I also shout 'heel' very loudly as well, that tends to add to my defence strategy. Mind you the worst owners are those who are shouting at least 100yds back, "don't worry, he won't hurt you!"

I had to punch a dog on the nose once, I panicked but it worked luckily, but that was a crude and unreliable way of protecting myself, which is why in the end I bought my whip.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:25:49, 31/05/20 »
 Sorry to hear about the dog incident,Lee.By your description it sounds more like a badly trained dog that is allowed to jump up people.If they really intend to attack they usually bite.Did you find out who the owner is?

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:26:56, 31/05/20 »
Sorry to hear about the dog incident,Lee.By your description it sounds more like a badly trained dog that is allowed to jump up people.If they really intend to attack they usually bite.Did you find out who the owner is?

Yes I agree...it might well have been attempting to be friendly.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:57:53, 31/05/20 »
Out of control dogs are a pain, I've had to knock a few away using the side of my thigh only to be told by owners 'it's ok, he wouldn't hurt you' to which my reply is 'no he won't but you need to keep him under control'. Conversation normally goes two ways after that, either an apology or a discussion on the law that defines what 'out of control' means, never lost that discussion yet  ;D

Only once have I had to take serious action against dogs. Was walking along a green lane when bounding towards me around a corner came 3 large snarling dobermans. First one got a big kick to his nose, resulting in a yelp and all 3 turning tail. Walked around the corner to find a lady in her mid fifties very apologetic saying they wouldn't have hurt me  ::)
Where there's a will ...

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:05:15, 31/05/20 »

In Scotland there is a clear definition of what out of control means in the Control of Dogs (Scotland) Act

3 For the purposes of this Act, a dog is out of control if—

(a) It is not being kept under control effectively and consistently (by whatever means) by the proper person,
(b) Its  behaviour gives rise to—
(i) alarm, or
(ii) apprehensiveness,
on the part of any individual, and
(c) the individual's alarm or apprehensiveness is, in all the circumstances, reasonable

(4) The apprehensiveness mentioned in subsection (3)(b)(ii) may be as to (any or all)—
(a) the individual's own safety,
(b) the safety of some other person, or
(c) the safety of an animal other than the dog in question.
« Last Edit: 18:12:24, 31/05/20 by Bigfoot_Mike »

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:17:53, 31/05/20 »
My sympathy goes to Lee BIG TIME, as over the years, ive been bitten seven times by various dogs.
Back in 1970, a very large Alsatian, called Queenie, rushed out from its owners drive in Cardiff, and dug its jaws on my left arm.

This was not a playful animal, wanting to nip at your ankles, but a large Dog full of real aggression, and i happened to be walking past its home at the wrong time.

I still to this day cannot understand why it chose to show real aggression, as all i was doing was walking near Roath Park lake with my friends.

Even though its so many years ago, i can still remember it happening, and can take you to the very location even to this day.

I spent two nights in hospital as well, as the depth of the bite was sufficient to require stitches, and the medics obviously showed enough concern, that they thought it wise to keep me in for a day or two, i still have a scar to show everyone, who cannot understand my fear of their tiny pooches.

When someone shows fear in front of a dog, or is very unsure, as i always am, they latch on to it, and behave in a different manner to another person who is confident and not afraid.

I much prefer the company of cats, they are smaller and just as affectionate towards their owners
« Last Edit: 18:28:23, 31/05/20 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:24:52, 31/05/20 »
Yep, hope you are ok Lee.  Sounds like the owner wasn't around, which is not good at all. 

But DA -  preferring cats?  Noooooo.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:38:13, 31/05/20 »
The thing that really annoys be big time, is those owners who always say, Its only playing, or something to that effect.

Owners who are devoted to their pet, and cannot comprehend people who show fear in the presence of their animal, can be most annoying.

Ive had a few close encounters, of dogs, large and small, that clearly are too large or out of control for their owners to handle them properly.

One of the other nasty bites i received, was from a collie on poppit sands in Pembroke, a few years ago.

The owners just called their dog, that was running amok amongst the wary visitors, and did not even want to find out if i was alright.

They obviously did not want to face the possible reprocusions, from a member of the public reporting them for a out of control animal.

No i am sorry, i am not a dog lover.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:02:58, 31/05/20 »
The thing that really annoys be big time, is those owners who always say, Its only playing, or something to that effect.

“Its only playing”.

“It’s never done that before”.

“Don’t worry it won’t hurt you”

It’s like a manual of standard excuses is provided to a few owners...along with the instruction “don’t bother with training”.
« Last Edit: 19:06:47, 31/05/20 by pauldawes »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:18:37, 31/05/20 »
In Scotland there is a clear definition of what out of control means in the Control of Dogs (Scotland) Act

3 For the purposes of this Act, a dog is out of control if—

(a) It is not being kept under control effectively and consistently (by whatever means) by the proper person,
(b) Its  behaviour gives rise to—
(i) alarm, or
(ii) apprehensiveness,
on the part of any individual, and
(c) the individual's alarm or apprehensiveness is, in all the circumstances, reasonable

(4) The apprehensiveness mentioned in subsection (3)(b)(ii) may be as to (any or all)—
(a) the individual's own safety,
(b) the safety of some other person, or
(c) the safety of an animal other than the dog in question.

Similar in England etc

A dog shall be regarded as dangerously out of control on any occasion on which there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will injure any person or assistance dog, whether or not it actually does so, (section 10(3) Dangerous Dogs Act 1991). This is not an exhaustive definition and the ordinary meaning of the words should still be applied. If a dog is factually deemed to be acting in a way that could be termed ‘dangerously out of control’, for example attacking livestock, a prosecution may still be brought.
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 05:35:40, 01/06/20 »
A nasty experience, Lee - hope that you mend quickly.

I hate the pathetic excuses that people come up with - although in my case it is usually my own dog that is on the receiving end of the aggression. I have learnt to let her off the lead if an aggressive dog approaches - at least then she can defend herself properly, or run away if required. And I use a heavy hazel walking stick on my local walks, which I would make free use of if things were going badly for Tess!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

snaderson

« Reply #14 on: 07:57:21, 01/06/20 »
I got a little nip from a Jack Russell in Staffordshire last year. The owner came out of his shed and said, "Don't worry, he won't bite."  Too late.

I've been followed by dogs a couple of times. A couple of years ago I was followed for an hour by what I thought was a farm dog. I couldn't lose it over stiles or through gates. It only stopped when it found someone else to follow (in the opposite direction). On Saturday, I was followed for a mile or so when the dog left one couple it had been following and chose me instead. I was glad it gave up as we approached a field full of cows with calves. Not sure what I would have done if it had all kicked off.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy