Author Topic: What will you be planning?  (Read 3139 times)

myxpyr

What will you be planning?
« on: 16:57:29, 18/04/20 »
When we eventually get through the coronavirus nightmare what are folk planning for a long awaited return to the hills?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: What will you be planning?
« Reply #1 on: 17:05:02, 18/04/20 »
I will start with the quiet end of Bennachie (Hermit Seat and Watch Craig, possibly onwards to Oxen Craig and Craigshannoch, if not busy). I will stay away from Mither Tap, as that closest to the main car park and is likely to be crawling with visitors from Aberdeen.  Once I have my hill fitness back, I would head down to Loch Muick for a walk up Lochnagar, assuming my long term injuries stay quiet.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:14:19, 18/04/20 »
Wild camping trips in the Lakes, in particular, after seeing the sheep round up on TV, Upper Eskdale.
My son also wants to climb Helvellyn - happy to oblige!

Also, a boozy walk along the Lancaster Canal with a friend!  :D
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

myxpyr

« Reply #3 on: 17:16:04, 18/04/20 »

Sounds good O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:22:27, 18/04/20 »

Don't fall in!!

Depending on when we are allowed out again our first trip may be to Wasdale Head, I had a wild camp all planned from there before we were all imprisoned. Or it may be the Southern Cheviots if the lockdown lasts longer than I want it to. I know I am going to make the most of every weekend and every day I am on hols from work from now on.
Hate will never win

myxpyr

« Reply #5 on: 17:26:45, 18/04/20 »
Personally I'm planning on regaining my hill fitness with a few walks in Snowdonia and gradually extending my range to further afield such as the Lakes, Scotland and, hopefully the Alps or Pyrenees next year.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:44:51, 18/04/20 »
Don't fall in!!

The only falling in will be falling into and out of pubs along the way!

I know I am going to make the most of every weekend and every day I am on hols from work from now on.

^ this. No more of my prevaricating about the weather forecast being a bit iffy for a camp.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:46:23, 18/04/20 »
Still crossing my fingers for the Pennine Way starting 30th June. Yes, I know that I am probably a fantasist but I will cling to that hope as long as possible. We have had some accommodation cancel already so, if we can't re-book or find alternatives, we'll camp.

My son also wants to climb Helvellyn - happy to oblige!
What route?
Any excuse to re-post one of my favourite photos ever, taken when my son was 11.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:52:47, 18/04/20 »
Not sure yet, Ridge. Striding Edge if conditions are good and he is feeling bold.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:53:40, 18/04/20 »
I'm also going to meet up with some of you good people at the next forum meet in the Lakes.  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:54:44, 18/04/20 »
Personally I'm planning on regaining my hill fitness with a few walks in Snowdonia and gradually extending my range to further afield such as the Lakes, Scotland and, hopefully the Alps or Pyrenees next year.

Sounds good. I would love to go back to the Pyrenees sometime.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:54:58, 18/04/20 »
I was supposed to be hiking in the Sierra Nevada for 5 days in May, the hope is that we can do this in September instead. We shall see.

Aside from that it’ll be back to a weekly walk in the Peak District (closest to home) or the Lakes (favourite).

We were planning a fortnight in Italy this summer which clearly isn’t going to happen. It’s unlikely we’ll take any form of two week break so I think I’ll have a load of long weekends instead.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:58:23, 18/04/20 »
I suspect it will be much longer than many think before things are back to normal. There will eventually be some relaxation of lockdown measures, but it will be a slow process and there is a reasonable possibility of further waves of the disease. I suspect international travel will take a while to restart, especially for other countries accepting people from the UK. I am resigned to not travelling away this year and will see what happens next year.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:01:24, 18/04/20 »
Agreed. Spain in September is an aspiration as it has been so disappointing having to cancel the original trip. I’d been looking forward to it for months.

I forgot to mention - I have an invite to a wedding in Pitlochry in early August. It’s clearly doubtful that will happen but if it does a couple of days in the Cairngorms will be tacked onto the trip.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:34:35, 18/04/20 »
When the opportunity arises I think either the Pennine Way or a GR hike in France.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy