Author Topic: What3words app for your location  (Read 4763 times)

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Re: What3words app for your location
« Reply #15 on: 14:46:35, 21/08/19 »
I understand the benefit of using 3 words. It was an interesting system when is appeared a few years ago. It didn't, however, make them enough profit.
Basically, I find that using the emergency services to further profit-making to be unpalatable.

If you have enough signal to send a text, you can copy and paste an exact location from any of a host of existing free apps. That then cuts out the middle bit of remembering something and then communicating it.
Really, the drive should be to things like SARLOC where location information is sent device to device, though I'd prefer a standardised app that people could have pre-installed on their device.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:10:46, 21/08/19 »
I understand the benefit of using 3 words. It was an interesting system when is appeared a few years ago. It didn't, however, make them enough profit.
Basically, I find that using the emergency services to further profit-making to be unpalatable.

If you have enough signal to send a text, you can copy and paste an exact location from any of a host of existing free apps. That then cuts out the middle bit of remembering something and then communicating it.
Really, the drive should be to things like SARLOC where location information is sent device to device, though I'd prefer a standardised app that people could have pre-installed on their device.

I think rather than market it as a SAR app, the main intention is to make profit from other commercial organisations - for example it works in conjunction with Google Maps or Uber.  Or at least that is the impression I have from the website.  That said, if you have to send someone in your party, or a passing stranger, to hike a mile or more to get a signal, it might be handy.
Solvitur Ambulando

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:34:51, 21/08/19 »
Hello,
Is there not a system of registering your phone number on the 999 feature to assist in getting a message through to the rescue services in the event of having poor reception?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:07:32, 21/08/19 »
Hello,
Is there not a system of registering your phone number on the 999 feature to assist in getting a message through to the rescue services in the event of having poor reception?
http://www.emergencysms.net/registering_your_mobile_phone.php 
If you haven't done it - do it now!  SMS can get through when voice cannot.
Solvitur Ambulando

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 08:16:01, 22/08/19 »
Many thanks for that....as you say no excuses for anyone not to do it.
That combined with the read out of location from the OS Locate should be very helpful.

dank86

« Reply #20 on: 16:47:27, 26/08/19 »
The reason they're advertising so heavily is to force the emergency services to pay them to use it.
Os locate works and the emergency services know that, honestly w3w isn't something we should be pushing

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:10:03, 26/08/19 »
The reason they're advertising so heavily is to force the emergency services to pay them to use it.
Os locate works and the emergency services know that, honestly w3w isn't something we should be pushing
But do not forget W3W is a global system whereas OS locate only works within the OS grid.  The pitch is wider than UK emergency services.  I suspect its one biggest application is logistics.  There are over 27 properties in my cost code where as there are more than 27 3m squares inside my boundary - no more "we couldn't find you" messages.
Solvitur Ambulando

dank86

« Reply #22 on: 17:19:49, 26/08/19 »
But do not forget W3W is a global system whereas OS locate only works within the OS grid.  The pitch is wider than UK emergency services.  I suspect its one biggest application is logistics.  There are over 27 properties in my cost code where as there are more than 27 3m squares inside my boundary - no more "we couldn't find you" messages.

If you use OS Locate outside the UK it gives lat long. Not sure why people bring this up whenever someone mentions OS locate...

Yes logistics may use it but they're heavily advertising the emergency services in their ads trying to force them to use it so they can get regular payments  out of them. Disgusting business practices

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:42:54, 26/08/19 »
Yes logistics may use it but they're heavily advertising the emergency services in their ads trying to force them to use it so they can get regular payments  out of them. Disgusting business practices
  Sorry I haven't seen their ads - just their web site which is not pushing emergency services (https://what3words.com/business/): the tab headings on the business element of the site are Automotive, Ride Hailing, Navigation, Travel, E-Commerce, Logistics, Emergency, Government, GIS and Humanitarian.
OS Locate is advertised as a walkers aid. It has no advantage that I can see over W3W for use by the non-mapreading members of Joe Public so the issue would be one of cost to the user and the Emergency Services.  Now that OS is run as an Agency, as far as I am aware, its products are no longer free, even to government https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:59:58, 26/08/19 »

Emergency Services don't make money / are not-for-profit organisations. 

If this quote (taken from their "About Us - FAQs" page) is anything to go by then they can't charge the Emergency Services for signing up/using it:

Is what3words open source?
Addressing is a vital piece of infrastructure and building a global, multilingual address system tackles huge economic and social problems. However, a great deal of resource is needed to create and maintain such a solution.
We’ve developed a business model that works for everybody. what3words is not open source and our focus is on having the right commercial solutions for different users: the system is free to use for most people, while companies that use the service to make money pay a fee. This approach ensures both the scalability and sustainability of the what3words solution.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:55:06, 26/08/19 »
The thing that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth is the using of the emergency services to create awareness and push users to adopt their system so they can then leverage that in their commercial arm.

It is a neat idea and pretty well implemented. However, it has only really started to take off (after many years of being around) due to this push with emergency services.
If it wasn't a profit-making move they should have made their database available to others or made their own emergency app separate to their commercial one.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:16:26, 26/08/19 »
The thing that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth is the using of the emergency services to create awareness and push users to adopt their system so they can then leverage that in their commercial arm.
  The only stories I have seen those put out by the BBC where I suspect "This app could save your life!" rather than "This app could help DHL find your house!"  or "This app could get you an Uber" is just better copy.  What have I missed?
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:39:31, 26/08/19 »
In a capitalist economy, if the emergency services are used, I assume it helps to secure employment and possibly create new jobs as well? I may be wrong of course.

dank86

« Reply #28 on: 21:41:07, 26/08/19 »
In a capitalist economy, if the emergency services are used, I assume it helps to secure employment and possibly create new jobs as well? I may be wrong of course.
But if the emergency services are paying fees to use it, they may cut the numbers to cover the cost

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 15:48:16, 06/02/20 »

The head of mountain rescue volunteers in the Lake District has told hikers not to rely on What3words, a mapping app used by more than eight out of ten emergency services and the AA.
The app has divided the world into 3m squares and given each one a unique three-word address that can be given to rescuers to help find people in trouble. It is used by Cumbria police, which has called it a brilliant app and a life-saver.
However, Richard Warren, chairman of the Lake District Search and Mountain Rescue Association, said: “What3words is an ingenious system, but we do not rely on it. The first resort should always be a map and compass to try to navigate your own way out of trouble. Then a call to 999 and stay put.
“A couple of days ago Wasdale [Mountain Rescue] was called to an incident and was 100 metres adrift. That may not sound much but in blizzards it can be crucial. On November 20 Wasdale was called to a group lost on the Scafell range and the What3words location was three or four miles away.”
He said that mishearing or misspelling words tended to cause problems.

What3words said that the app was not intended as a replacement for learnt navigation skills, and added: “We are another location tool that can be useful when existing methods may not be known, preferable or practical.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy