Author Topic: Bleaklow, The B29 Superfortress and I got Bleaklowed!  (Read 7380 times)

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
My desire to visit one of the air crash sites in the Dark Peak has been a long burning one. This was one opportunity I was not going to miss.

What is 'Bleaklowed' you may be asking, I tell more a little later.

After two failed attempts on Kinder, the first from Upper Booth ascending via Crowden Clough in September 2010 and the second from Bowden Bridge, ascending via William Clough May 2011, the first, starting out from Upper Booth to ascend to the Kinder Plateau.

To be honest, the day we started from Upper Booth, if we reached a crash site, that was a bonus. The main goal was the summit plateau, extra to that would be a nice bonus.

The second attempt, in May 2011, the goal was to get to a crash site. But the weather had other ideas, it lashed it down, visibility just short of the plateau was less than three metres!

So common sense prevailed, but all was not lost. I had just bought a new jacket, the Keela Pinnacle Lite, which proved it was more than waterproof, with the driving rain on Kinder.

Anyway, Bleaklow.

My desire was burning to get to a crash site, which some may think is a little ghoulish. However, I would always treat these sites with respect and dignity.
So, after talking to Chris, a Peak District walking buddy, we talked quite a few times about the crash sites, one of which was the B29 Superfortress, also mentioned by others, one of many I would love to visit.

We chatted about it and by chance, I had Easter Monday or Tuesday to make the trip. But wait!

The weather was not looking good, almost brimstone and whatever else the weather could throw at us was threatened!

Was this going to be another failed attempt?

After some discussion, Chris and I decided, Easter Tuesday was going to be the day, whatever the weather. If it became brimstone and whatever, we would enjoy the walk, but if the weatherman had got is wrong, then the B29 Superfortress crash site, here we come.

I’m sure many of you are under no illusions as to what the terrain of Bleaklow is, basically, its peat soil, high and exposed, open to all sorts of weather, featureless, very boggy in places.

We set the date, the time and to meet at where the Pennine Way crosses the A57 Snake Pass (oooo, what a road).

We met up, the cloud was there, nice and low, very grey looking ready to drop whatever it had on us.

We kitted up, ready for the wet, the cold (it did get very cold and wet at times) and whatever else the weather may thrown at us.

We set off in a northerly direction along the Pennine Way, which while generally well-marked by a stone path, did on many occasions disappear, either under the snow, yes, there was quite a bit of snow from the recent snow fall the Peak District, along with much of the northern UK had, or under the peat muddy.

In some places, we actually followed the course of a stream.

But before we got to the point where the path was the stream, I got “Bleaklowed”!

That was a term Chris used to describe, get a boot full, or going leg deep in to bog or something.

Fortunately, it was a small culvert where water had flowed under the snow. Luckily, I was kitted out and never got a boot or leg full.

We carried on along the Pennine Way, trying to dodge the deep snow bits and crossing the stream that forms the path, heading towards Bleaklow Head.

There were a few folk out, enjoying the day, some suitably dressed, some with back packing gear and others, well, least said the better.

When we got to Bleaklow Head, apart from being open and exposed, the weather tried to make its mark, though I know, if it really wanted to, the weather could have been a lot worse. May 2011, when I had to turn back down William Clough, was a good example, and even then, I’m sure the weather could get worse if it tried.

After a couple of minutes at Bleaklow Head, we headed in a southerly direction, trying to follow a route marked on the map, as a path, down towards the B29 Superfortress crash site.

This would entail crossing pat bog land, while it was very wet, the wind was blowing and the snow, well, it was almost like hail, beat against us!

We reached Wain Stones, also called the Kissing Stones, as you can see from the photo. We stopped there for a few minutes, debating whether to get the Jetboil out and have a cuppa, or move on.

We decided to move on. Trudging, no, let’s get it right, walking, across the moor, heading for our desired destination, still being battered by the wind and snow, that was almost like hail!

But we managed to cross the moor, without getting a boot or leg full, arriving at the B29 Superfortress crash site.

On arriving at the crash site, the weather relented!

Yes, it stopped trying to beat us back. I wondered afterwards, if that was like one of those challenges you see on the television, you work hard, sweat hard and at the end, you get the prize.

But we made it, I was awe struck.

You see the photos others post of the wreckage, the poppies along with the various Remembrance Memorials and the memorial plaque, but until you get there, you just don’t appreciate fully the carnage from that fateful November day in 1948.

It wasn’t just the spread of the wreckage, but the size of various parts of the aircraft, the aircraft had a crew of thirteen, all sadly killed.

It really was a humbling moment, well, few moments to be honest.

The Memorial Plaque; I took the time to read the plaque, which for who wish to read the transcript, here it is; IN MEMORY HERE LIES THE WRECKAGE OF THE B29 SUPERFORTRESS"OVEREXPOSED" OF THE 16TH PHOTOGRAPHIC RECONNAISSANCESQUADRON USAF WHICH CRASHED WHILST DESCENDINGTHROUGH LOW CLOUD ON 3rd NOVEMBER 1948 KILLING ALL 13CREWMEMBERS. THE AIRCRAFT WAS ON A ROUTINE FLIGHT FROMRAF SCAMPTON TO AMERICAN AFB BURTONWOOD.IT IS DOUBTFUL THE CREW EVER SAW THE GROUND.MEMORIAL LAID BY 367 AIR NAVIGATION COURSE OFRAF FINNINGLEY ON 12 NOVEMBER 1983
While we were at the crash site, a group of young hikers stumbled on the crash site, were quite taken aback on what they saw.

From the expressions on their faces, it was doubtful they expected to see what they stumbled on, so Chris explained to them what had happened.

After a while, we then headed over the Higher Shelf Trig point. Well, it was only a couple of hundred metres away.

It was at that point, that the wind really did its best, but we were high up, 621 mtrs according to the OS map, and very exposed. My Kestrel weather kit, recorded a max wind speed of 26.9 mph and a wind chill of -6.0ºC!

Chris and I discussed our next course of action. Stop and eat (toooo beep cold for that and windy) or progress on.

We decided that the wisest move, in view of the weather, was to move on and head back towards the Pennine Way, then track back to our cars.
So we plotted a course, with a bit more cheating. (I didn’t mention earlier, but we used Chris’Memory Map GPS, to plot the course from Bleaklow Head towards the crash site), to plot our course back towards the Pennine Way. This would mean one final visit to the crash site, then to move on.

As we walked away from the crash site, Chris suggested that we back track the route we approached the crash site from, because we knew that was reasonably good ground to walk on.

So we did, only at was a game of guess work, so a bit more cheating was employed. I usually carry my GPS, a Garmin eTrex H, not a posh as Chris’, but just as functional, to record the walk track, distance and time taken.

So I set mine to back track the route we took, then to head generally in the direction of Hern Stones with the aim to veer off once we got a little nearer the Pennine Way.

Well, it happened again, I got Bleaklowed. Not as bad as it could be. Leaving the crash site, I started to descend down a soft peat bank and I lost my footing.

No sooner had I got Bleaklowed, than Chris did as well!

No injuries, no boot or leg full and no dented egos. Just part of the fun of the day and walk.

While walking along, back tracking the route, the weather started to get rough again, with more snow falling.

Eventually, we could see the Pennine Way, so started to veer off towards it, finding a rather nice sheltered spot, to take a late lunch break.

Even better, not only was it sheltered, but the sun came out!

We ate lunch chatted, something not overly easy to do with the wind roaring around you and the snow beating in your face.

Then the time to move on came, the weather hinted that we should move on, the clouds started to get dark and closer to us, while the wind took on that nasty chill feeling that you often get before the weather turns to rain or some other form of precipitation!

So we continued towards the Pennine Way, we then back tracked to where the cars were parked, I got Bleaklowed one more time. I ended up with one of my legs as deep as it would go, through snow and in to a peat bog!

Once again, I never got a leg or boot full. But my waterproof trousers were nice and muddy….

It was a thoroughly enjoyable day, the weather when all said and done, really was very lenient with us.

To be honest, from a photographic perspective, I wouldn’t want brilliant sun while taking photos of the crash site. The cloud cover we got was enough to put an air to the atmosphere.

To finish the day, we stopped off at the Snake Pass Inn, for a drink and chat, before departing our separate ways home.

I would like to say a very big thank you to Chris, for sharing the day with me and guiding me around Bleaklow.

I’m sure I would have got there, but not quite as quick as with someone who’s been before, along with the use of the GPS.

The full set of photos are available to view on my Flickr account;
[font=]http://www.flickr.com/photos/leaping_jaguar/sets/72157629788420755/detail/
« Last Edit: 19:25:05, 11/04/12 by Fleegle »

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
Re: Bleaklow, The B29 Superfortress and I got Bleaklowed!
« Reply #1 on: 21:03:33, 11/04/12 »
I've just been told off for dropping a clanger. I forgot to include a couple of photos, where Chris, Peak Lad, placed a Remembrance Cross with the others on the B29 Superfortress crash site.   :-[

I'm truly sorry, so here are the two missing photos;

Peak Lad

« Reply #2 on: 21:13:55, 11/04/12 »

Great trip report Mike and thanks for a great day out  O0   sorry i had a little laugh when the bog got you ::)

It was always going to happen ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 21:17:15, 11/04/12 by Peak Lad »
Walking the Peak District, and loving it.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:29:38, 11/04/12 »
Great report & photos Mike  O0   

I wish I'd known you were both doing this walk. ::)   I was bored stiff on Tuesday and could have joined you!

***Happiness is only a smile away***

Peak Lad

« Reply #4 on: 21:36:34, 11/04/12 »

I wish I'd known you were both doing this walk. ::)   I was bored stiff on Tuesday and could have joined you!

Sunny your always welcome, over to the dark side of the peaks ;)   
Walking the Peak District, and loving it.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:00:38, 11/04/12 »
Brilliant TR.  Really enjoyed reading that.  Thank you.   O0 O0

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:19:26, 11/04/12 »

Great trip report Mike and thanks for a great day out  O0   sorry i had a little laug O0h when the bog got you ::)

It was always going to happen ;D ;D

No worries. It was all part of the fun.     O0

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:22:22, 11/04/12 »

Thank you.

As Chris said, you're always welcome.

Though it was almost a last minute decision with what weather had been forecast.

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:24:28, 11/04/12 »
Quote from: dittzzy link=topic=18859.msg257493#msg257493 date=1334 :)178038
Brilliant TR.  Really enjoyed reading that.  Thank you.   O0 O0

Dittzzy, thank you very much.     :)

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:26:20, 11/04/12 »
Enjoyed reading your TR Fleagle, quite different and very interesting..  O0
roll on the weekend

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:45:06, 11/04/12 »
hey, well that was a great TR, it s nic eto have a proper story of the day out instead of some music and vague unnamed shots like i usually do! I really got the flavour of the day and find the crash site very moving even though ive never been in the flesh, im sure it would be a very haunting place if i went up there.

Bleaklowed  ;D   Once is ok 2x looks like carelessness and 3x is sheer lunacy! I was in Lakes wi Humperlumper a while back strollin along nice and easy and went into summat right up to one of me knees, totally unsuspected.
Easy done!

Glad you made it back in one piece and ta for postin this  O0 O0 O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

Cooky

« Reply #11 on: 11:44:53, 12/04/12 »
Fab report Fleegle, fascinating to see your pics of the remains of the aircraft.

I must try and get up there one day.

JC
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing!

ianj37

« Reply #12 on: 19:51:08, 12/04/12 »
Excellent trip report and photos. I can't help but wonder how long the plane wrecks will actually last before the weather gets the better of them.
 Thanks for sharing.

di36mg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:43:31, 12/04/12 »
Great pics and TR. I love Bleaklow.. We stumbled across the Superfortress and there is a very strange atmosphere up there.. Calm but haunting.. When you're up there and get used to the flatness its strange to think a plane go go awry and crash, doesnt seem that high..

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:09:43, 16/04/12 »
Thank you all for your kind comments.

Apologies for the delay in acknowleging them, I've bee naway in North Wales, visiting family.

Sadly, no trip reports from this visit, but perhaps next time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy