Author Topic: First trip to Peak District  (Read 5653 times)

Phileas

Re: First trip to Peak District
« Reply #15 on: 05:49:38, 09/10/13 »
Funnily enough, having GPS actually makes me more adventurous. If I only had a map and compass I wouldn't be so confident about going for a long walk in a wild and unfamiliar landscape when the days are short. The reason I mentioned GPS in my OP is that I was thinking of walking to the summit of Kinder Scout and I haven't walked across flat featureless moorland before. Obviously, following the edges is not difficult.

I live in Bristol, and this trip is costing me a few quid so I'd prefer to see some of the highlights of the district and not waste time discovering the best bits through trial and error.

The Wayfarer ticket may not be of much use to me since the most expensive return ticket I would need to buy is less than £11.
« Last Edit: 06:29:36, 09/10/13 by Phileas »
Robin

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 07:36:26, 09/10/13 »
Funnily enough, having GPS actually makes me more adventurous. If I only had a map and compass I wouldn't be so confident about going for a long walk in a wild and unfamiliar landscape when the days are short. The reason I mentioned GPS in my OP is that I was thinking of walking to the summit of Kinder Scout and I haven't walked across flat featureless moorland before. Obviously, following the edges is not difficult.

I live in Bristol, and this trip is costing me a few quid so I'd prefer to see some of the highlights of the district and not waste time discovering the best bits through trial and error.

The Wayfarer ticket may not be of much use to me since the most expensive return ticket I would need to buy is less than £11.

The advantage of the Wayfarer ticket is that it allows you to do linear walks as opposed to circular walks, and use train and buses flexibly. I've started day from outskirts of Chesterfield for example, got bus to Chesterfield Station, got train to Chinley. Walked through to Edale, got train from there to Sheffield. Done some shopping at Sheffield. Then train back to Chesterfield, and bus back home.

Agree no point buying one if you are doing pure circular routes... but linear routes can offer a lot more fun and flexibility, and the flexibility is, I think, quite a good advantage in a new region.

Agree with you about GPS being a boon if you want to do a fair distance in a new region without good lines of view. Yes, in old days, I did cross Kinder Scout a time or three on my own using just map and compass. But once you leave edge path to cross plateau its slow stuff... line up a target 50 yards away in right direction, walk 10 yards, target "disappears" (because you are in a gough hollow, etc)... and you need to consult compass again.

Pretty sure you'll enjoy the Peak by the way. But bear in mind... if you don't take an immediate liking to Kinder and Buxton... that there's an immense variety of walking in the area. I have to admit, for example, that although I like the Edale valley, I prefer the gentler Peak landscapes of places like Millers Dale, Manifold Valley, Youlgreave, etc.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 07:42:32, 09/10/13 »

Forgot to say in earlier posting... that's two of us. (I don't live in Bristol, but recently went to Shropshire for first time, and went about planning that trip more or less exactly the same way you have planned your first visit to Peak.)

Do let us know know how it goes. (By co-incidence, same Week-end will be doing my second Shropshire visit.... really enjoyed first one.)

Phileas

« Reply #18 on: 10:04:50, 09/10/13 »
Paul

I agree about linear walks and if using buses as well as trains or different train lines or greater distances, the Wayfarer ticket would be good but I'll probably just get returns which still allow me to use different stations for the outbound and return journeys. As it happens, I'll probably do circular.walks anyway.

I may do Shining Tor from Buxton, Edale skyline and some edges around Hathersage.
Robin

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 11:06:02, 09/10/13 »
Paul

I may do Shining Tor from Buxton, Edale skyline and some edges around Hathersage.

All good choices. The edges around Hathersage give some stunning view, and are easily reached by good walking routes from Hathersage railway station. And the place itself has a fair few good walking kit shops....sometimes a good thing on the rare occasions when the wallet is bulging, and money needs to be released to stop the seams bursting.

Phileas

« Reply #20 on: 17:09:40, 12/10/13 »
So I set out earlier today with the intention of doing the Edale horseshoe.

I got off the train at Edale and was disappointed to find that the weather was wetter than I'd anticipated :( . Too late to change plans so I carried on.  I walked up Grindsbrook and quite enjoyed the clambering over rocks and boulders in the higher reaches with the water gushing down - a new experience for me, so that was nice.

I turned left along Kinder edge and followed the very obvious path, although I still managed to wander off course once or twice. Not surprisingly, the visibility was very poor as the rain was light but continuous. I then discovered that my recently purchased Hi-Tec Alto walking shoes are not particularly water resistant, despite the Dri-Tec breathable "waterproof" liner. So my feet got very wet - an unusual experience for me, so that wasn't nice.

I decided to abandon the horseshoe at Jacob's Ladder and walked back to Edale to catch the train back to New Mills. I did toy with the idea of getting the train to Hathersage to purchase a decent pair of boots (I need a new pair anyway) but I was starting to feel a bit cold and shivery so I returned to b&b. If it carries on being wet, I'll just have to accept that my feet are going to be squelching inside my shoes.

I have to mention the lively atmosphere on the train back to New Mills. There was someone playing banjo and singing the Blues in the other carriage and the young women on the seats next to me were in very high spirits after their walk. When I got off, a giggling hen party wearing pink tutus joined the train.

Sorry about the lack of pictures, but I didn't take any - it was that kind of day.

The MetOffice forecast for tomorrow has improved so that's good news.
« Last Edit: 17:20:59, 12/10/13 by Phileas »
Robin

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:19:40, 12/10/13 »
Probably looked a bit like this  :)

Where there's a will ...

Phileas

« Reply #22 on: 17:23:58, 12/10/13 »
Exactly.
Robin

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:27:49, 12/10/13 »
Shame about the weather, and your boots, but the unpredictability is part of the challenge.

Isn't it?

Phileas

« Reply #24 on: 17:52:47, 12/10/13 »
I can cope with wet weather up to a point, it usually enhances the colours of the surroundings. On the other hand, IMHO, unless there's something interesting about the ground under one's feet, there's very little pleasure to be had in rain plus very poor visibility, and I generally walk for pleasure. If I want a challenge, I do something physically or technically demanding. Or scary!
« Last Edit: 18:20:30, 12/10/13 by Phileas »
Robin

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 07:41:35, 13/10/13 »
I can cope with wet weather up to a point, it usually enhances the colours of the surroundings. On the other hand, IMHO, unless there's something interesting about the ground under one's feet, there's very little pleasure to be had in rain plus very poor visibility, and I generally walk for pleasure.

+1

Kinder isn't nice in poor weather....and really, what's the point in climbing up there if there's nothing to see but the inside of clouds! Sometimes though, when the sky is dark and broody looking, (but it's not raining), it can add to the overall experience of being on a high windswept moorland plateau.  It sort of suits the terrain and surroundings and I personally find it quite evocative (at times).

Having been up there in fog/drizzle/mist/high winds/rain/hail/thunder/lightening/snow, it does make you appreciate the glorious views you get on better weather days O0 .....although having said that, being up there in the snow is a fantastic experience! 8)

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Phileas

« Reply #26 on: 08:37:15, 13/10/13 »
Thanks Tracey. I think it was just the wrong walk for the conditions.
Robin

Phileas

« Reply #27 on: 06:47:03, 15/10/13 »
I managed to do a proper walk yesterday. (On Sunday I'd intended to do Shining Tor to the west of Buxton but the rain came down and I cut the walk short.) It still rained, but in showers rather than continuously. Starting at Hathersage, I joined Stanage Edge somewhere in the middle and walked east, then continued along Burbage Rocks and finished on Millstone Edge, returning to the station.

All very enjoyable, the cold showers and the bitter north easterly whipping across the moor adding a bit of atmosphere.

I just managed to catch the 14:32 train (only because it was late) so I got off at Edale and nipped up Mam Tor, which compensated slightly for Saturday's disappointment.
« Last Edit: 07:03:40, 15/10/13 by Phileas »
Robin

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:05:00, 15/10/13 »
It's the photos of the girls in tutus we want not a mist shrouded Kinder Scout.  As to crossing Kinder, it really is a very short distance and it is very good practice to see if you can keep a straight line without a compass.  Or indeed a map.  When I lived in Bakewell, B.T., I sometimes used to go up there on a foggy day to try to get lost just for a bit of fun.  You get to know the pattern of the groughs draining to the edge.  B.T. ?  Before Tracey of course.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 23:28:03, 15/10/13 »
Hi Phileas
Sorry to hear you had a mixed bag of weather that dampened your experience of the Peak District, I think it's an acquired taste, walking on Kinder Scout, it's not for everyone, also having leaky boots and soggy socks isn't going to help. :(
But I was pleased you tried Grindsbrook, and enjoyed the little scramble at the top. Hope you return in a dryer spell some time, as the place looks different again in the sunshine  O0

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy