Author Topic: The Roaches and Lud's Church from Upper Hulme  (Read 6795 times)

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
Re: The Roaches and Lud's Church from Upper Hulme
« Reply #15 on: 07:22:22, 02/06/15 »
Sounds like you were right by it. I found the OS makes sense when you realise you are approaching from the right direction, it is a tad deceiving. The chasm floor itself is often quite muddy, but very worth the effort once in.
roll on the weekend

robrymond

« Reply #16 on: 01:33:01, 03/06/15 »
I might have to visit again and investigate when I don't have a dog swimming in the thick mud down there! I'm more confused by the series of paths west of Luds Church right near the ridge and back of the wood which seemingly weren't on my OS Explorer map. At one point I thought I was off the correct path until I found the junction where you can loop back down the hill to Gradbach.

werringtonwalker

« Reply #17 on: 09:14:08, 03/06/15 »
I think it's perhaps because the paths on the ground are concessionary rather than actual rights of way. As such, they probably can't be marked on the OS map as the concession could be withdrawn at any time, or may not apply every day of the year - in theory, if not in practice. 

From your description, you were at Lud's Church but it can get exceptionally muddy down there (as you would expect). The paths beyond it can also get very sticky as well - but are worth persevering with as the ridge above is glorious.

Staffs Wildlife Trust have taken over management of the Roaches Estate on a 125 year lease. I'm not 100% sure of the boundaries but it may be that the paths will be "improved" in due course. But it's the countryside - am not entirely sure what you can do to prevent mud!
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

robrymond

« Reply #18 on: 23:43:53, 09/06/15 »
Yes there is a sign up in the Gradbach car park about the need for £125,000 to invest in the paths. They are asking for £5 text donations which would involve sorting the ridge and also the mud through the forest.

I'm not bothered by mud, it just surprises me how much it slows you up on what feels like a relatively short journey. I'm still stumped even if they are concessionary paths as some of these are marked on the OS Maps but I guess I'll need to re-visit and work it out.

kevilsonlad

« Reply #19 on: 18:23:16, 20/08/15 »
we love luds church and the roaches , you get some fantastic views over Tittesworth res

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy