Author Topic: [Trip Report] - Kinder Scout. A multi part serial.  (Read 6530 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
As the number of pictures I can cram into one post without hosting the images outside is limited (and for good reason) I'll post this in a few parts.

First of all the route and a bit of background.

Total length of the walk was 16k there abouts, starting at a car park just outside Barber Booth. We did go up (and down) Jacobs Ladder.

Weather was overcast with rain being blown in, cloud very low and quite cold when you sat down for a bite to eat. Very strong winds at times but of course by the end of the day the sun was shining. Overall though decent weather to walk in.

We'd taken several weeks off from walking (7 in fact) due to work and, frankly, the weather. Originally I wanted to break ourselves back into walking gradually and wanted to do Curbar Edge. However my walking mate said he wanted to do Kinder Scout, so despite knowing I'd suffer, I said yes.

Well in the end we both suffered (and still do, I have bits of me aching I didn't know existed), but we both think it's one of the best walks we've done and a truly unique place.

Plus of course we've done a mountain now, so we can stare into the middle distance with eye's made of flint and say - "Yeah, we've done the Ladder and Kinder" when people ask, and that's worth loads in fake machismo.

The route below, in three parts.

I'll probably do the report in multiple parts to get more pictures in.

Enjoy...

Map reproduced from Ordnance Survey map data by permission of Ordnance Survey, © Crown copyright.

© Dazza
« Last Edit: 23:27:11, 02/10/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Re: [Trip Report] - Kinder Scout. A multi part serial.
« Reply #1 on: 22:09:23, 16/07/07 »
Part 1. Jacobs Ladder (not starring Tim Robbins this time.)

Well it's a bit of a trek from the car park outside Barber Booth (SK 10845 84752). Car Park is a bit generous, there's space for around ten cars so get there early if you want to park up here. We actually managed to leave on time so arrived around 10:15 with plenty of places to park up.

It's a little over a mile to the real starting point, past the campsite and Upper Booth (ice cream shop and cafe is tucked away if you fancy one). So we come to the real start of our walk today. Jacobs Ladder (SK 08870 86070).

Well I knew of it's reputation. It's steep, it tires unfit people (like me) out and all things considered needs replacing with a stair lift or failing that a funicular railway. Still we started up the ladder, as did a few cyclists who decided the bridleway wasn't hard core enough. Taking the opportunity to take several photographs (see below), and obviously not to take a breather or ten, we eventually made it to the top fit as fiddles and raring to go **

The view from the top is spectacular and my digital camera excelled itself in the low light conditions giving me endless shots of blurred stuff and under exposed pictures. So the pictures 1) don't do the vista's justice in anyway shape or form and 2) are a testament to my skill with Photoshop (or not - they look fine on my TFT).

This is where you see the uniqueness of Kinder in my view. Kinder Scout is covered with a 7000 year old peat bog, that is strangely springy to walk on (whilst being boot suckingly good in places as well) but a rocky almost lunar landscape around the edges. Wind and rain erosion does some very strange things to the rocks and landscape this high up.

There being many many rocks around theres plenty of cairns of various sizes as well. Someone even started a new one, which I kicked over. No actually I didn't cos, well I'm not that kind of person. The wind was pretty fierce around here, gusting to 60mph by my guess, you certainly knew about it that's for sure.

Feeling peckish we looked for somewhere out of the wind for a quick sandwich and Hob [censored] Flapjack break. Unfortunately in direct opposition to all meteorological experience the wind was coming from everywhere so we sat by the trig point (SK 07913 87052) and started to eat.

Now we had big coats with us in our rucks, but whilst eating we got really cold and were glad to get moving again. But more of that in part 2.

Coming soon.
Kinder Downfall,
Why following riverbeds isn't always wise,
Why Alan Titchmarsh would love my boots and
GPS? Don't you love it when it decides you're 50 feet away from where you really are and heading in the wrong direction.

** may not be true
« Last Edit: 22:16:15, 16/07/07 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:56:38, 17/07/07 »
Part 2: The Mancunian Way (kinda), getting wet and getting lost

So partly refreshed, and very chilly we got up and headed north up the Pennine Way yet again. I knew that from here you can see Manchester so we frequently went near the edge to see what we could see. Admittedly the weather didn't give the best visibility, but yes we had Manchester!

After taking sometime to absorb the view we carried on towards our turn off point, Kinder Downfall. The approach to the downfall is much more defined and obvious than elsewhere on Kinder Scout, so this was fairly easy going. Of course you can see the valley where the downfall is well before you can actually see it. Here we saw one of the few walkers we'd encountered so far.

The something startling happened. I bought a round, no even more astounding than that. The Sun came out. A golden patch illuminating Kinder Reservoir, so naturally out came the camera if not to record a fine view, then to prove we had seen the sun at some stage!

Turning back to the job in hand revealed something unusual. Previously I mentioned it was a tad on the gusty side, well that's true. The gusts were so strong that before we even reached the downfall we knew we would get wet. Mainly because the wind was blowing the water over the top! Hmm. A quick stowing of electronic gear (GPS, mobiles,  microwave **) we headed for the fall itself (SK 08288 88917).

Well considering the rain we've had I was expecting more of the waterfall to be honest, but then the lack of water did have one bonus. Half the water was falling as you'd expect but the wind was bringing the other half back up so it looked like a waterfall in reverse. I sidled near the edge (I don't like heights you see, well actually it's depths I have a problem with) and took a rather shaky picture. After getting home I realised I'd have to go back and take it again, oh well, shame it means going up there again  ;)

It's at this point we got some indication of how busy the rest of the walk would be. As we took our lives in our hands and headed onto the moor proper a walking group passed by the Downfall. Obscuring what would surely have been an award winning picture.

The GPS indicated we follow the stream, so we did, occasionally we faced a decision, left or right. We stayed right. In retrospect that could have been a mistake.

Following (but not crossing) the streams we ended up in an increasingly narrow path, 12 foot of peat on each side, walking on bedrock flowing with water. Eventually we ended up on a path no more than 5" wide (think trench rather than path). At this point we decided to get up top as it were.

Wandering around we found a suitable place and scrambled to the top. This was up 6ft of peat wall, which crumbled away and was very difficult to climb. Still we made it and spotted a 2 foot high exit not 20 yards away! Still I now knew my boots were water proof, having been submerged for a few minutes, plus I had enough peaty soil attached to my boots and trousers to make Alan Titchmarsh a very happy man. Or I could sell it to gardeners and get rich! Sadly the soil fell off.

However that was a minor problem compared what we saw. GPS was saying where we were, but looking out didn't fill us with confidence. We knew GPS sometimes got it wrong as the resolution isn't always great. We checked we had our maps, two compasses and ventured out....

..into a featureless landscape with no land marks and no end.

Coming in Part 3...
Why you can trust a compass and eventually GPS
Hmm hasn't it got busy
Whipsnade
The fast march home
Dying in the car

** May be an exaggeration
« Last Edit: 22:08:26, 17/07/07 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:44:26, 22/07/07 »
Part 3. Phew we made it and the race!

So we rejoin our story on the middle of Kinder Plateau. Generally we'd been trying to follow the footpath, sadly unlike most footpaths the one on the plateau is truly a work of fiction. It exists on paper and on the day in question no where else. All we had was endless trenches, water, mud, soggy peat and boot sucking quagmires.

At this point the GPS unit decided we were a) a good 50 meters from where we actually were, and were heading in the wrong direction! Unable to help my hair went into panic mode, and the realisation hit me that I could totally understand how people got lost up here. It was entirely possible to get hopelessly lost and trace a large circle. In the end we broke out the compasses, kept a watchful eye on the gps and headed south.

Eventually we arrived at the top of Crowden Clough. Which considering the small number of people we'd seen all day, was packed. Acheing and sore we decided to sit on the tower, have a bite to eat and plan our route down. Originally we'd expected to go down the clough, sadly the path disappeared halfway down, I was still up for it ofcourse ** but we decided to go along the edge and back down the Ladder again.

Ofcourse this meant going through Whipsnade... sorry the Woolpacks.

The Woolpacks is a huge collection of rocks, many of which look like animals due to erosion. Sadly we were in a hurry so we didn't linger although I earmarked a few for the rockery. Next time we will do. However we'd extended our walk much more than anticipated and the route was packed with hikers so we got a kick on and speeded along.

We were actually making good time, people letting us by and us overtaking folk who'd passed us whilst we were eating a sandwich. Part way across the edge we got a view of the ladder. Well we had to take a picture, as you don't really appreciate it (well it's hard to when you're cursing it) on the way up.

So we find ourselves at the top of the ladder again. Shattered and in pain (no seriously). Only the ladder and a 2 mile walk back to the car to go. Well, going down the ladder is hard, it's an uneven surface and with legs protesting all the way it wasn't as easy as it should have been.

Finally we got to the bottom where a fellow walker and his dog basically jumped in the river to cool down. We couldn't stop though, we had hot tea and hob [censored] waiting for us.

Taking one last look with eyes of flint and a 1000 yard stare we bade Au Revoir to our first mountain and took one last picture. We'd be back.

We got back to the car, made a cup of tea and sat down. We'd done well, we felt good, agreed it was a good walk. And perhaps in an hour or two we'd be able to move unaided.  ;D

** probably a lie
« Last Edit: 21:56:19, 22/07/07 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:37:43, 07/08/07 »
Dazza, this was an excellent read and, frankly, filled me with an aching jealousy. What an experience.

I have to say you took some of your pictures so far .. really good. Thanks.  ;)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:45:06, 07/08/07 »
Tell you what I'll swap your jealousy for my real aches?  ;)

As for pictures, we were in a rush to get down so lots of missed opportunities (including a rock bridge in the woolpacks), so we will be going back.
Dazza
--------

Feriol

« Reply #6 on: 23:15:49, 07/08/07 »
Nice report, i enjoyed reading that, and some great pictures.  O0
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

Gregmuzz

« Reply #7 on: 10:21:17, 08/08/07 »
very nice dazza brings back some nice and not nice memories.
Holiday Scotland website www.holidayscotland.org

Holiday Scotland Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HolidayScotland

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 00:30:19, 20/09/07 »
 O0 Awsome pics pal,Ive never been to the Peak but i will sometime now Ive seen your experience, i can guess why its called Jacobs Ladder,great path.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:00:11, 21/09/07 »
fantastic pictures dazza lovely write up there too. I've been to the peak district so many time now, and have enjoyed them all not to mention being up there in a lighten storm which was not fun and was very very scary to say the lease. But enjoy your story. 
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

rodd

« Reply #10 on: 13:36:38, 27/01/09 »
Just read through this and the other thread Dazza and have to say im even more eager to get up there now. 

Grindsbrook Clough looks quite a scramble over those loose rocks. I bet they're tough in the snow.

Great pictures mate. It's great having images to accompany a story.
I'll be taking my camera up there so will post mine up when im back.

Thanks again.

Rodd

« Last Edit: 13:40:07, 27/01/09 by rodd »

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:41:46, 28/01/09 »
No problem. I've not done it in deep snow, snow of a couple of inches depth I found was OK, the clough must have been sheltered somewhat. If it was deep snow I doubt I'd want to tackle it - too much of an opportunity to injure yourself (wuss? well mebbe).

It's not a scramble per se, but you may well need to use your hands on the very last bit. Describing the last bit of Grinsbrook always foxes me - technically not a scramble, but not your typical footpath either.

So a bit of a scramble, but which bit erm... I know it's a scram. or a ble  ;D

When you've done it I'll let you decide.

Weather permitting I'm hoping for a few weekday jaunts around Edale soon. Though looking at the forecast probably not this week.

Look forward to see the photos and your take on it.
Dazza
--------

scenic

« Reply #12 on: 23:30:23, 28/01/09 »
Dazza, good to hear you enjoy going up to Kinder (so many people don't ??!!)

Have you made it up via Crowden Clough yet,... it's quite do-able but the first time I saw it I turned back, somewhat miffed that the path just disappeared.

As for Grindsbrook and the fork just beneath the top.... the conventional way is to take the left hand fork. Have you tried the right hand fork - a good way to keep things interesting and extend the enjoyment a little.
Life without spice is like food without flavour

rodd

« Reply #13 on: 16:37:59, 29/01/09 »

How come some don't enjoy Kinder?

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:58:59, 29/01/09 »

Have you made it up via Crowden Clough yet,... it's quite do-able but the first time I saw it I turned back, somewhat miffed that the path just disappeared.

As for Grindsbrook and the fork just beneath the top.... the conventional way is to take the left hand fork. Have you tried the right hand fork - a good way to keep things interesting and extend the enjoyment a little.

We have looked at Crowden before and through better of it, this was going down though rather than up. Whilst I'm doing a bit of solo walking (person I usually walk with is recovering from an injury) I may take another look.

I don't think I've taken the right hand fork but then again it's been a while since I was last there (March last year).  I'll try and bare it in mind for future reference, although with so much choice in the area it may get forgotten!

I like Kinder as you get some good views, can vary your difficulty a fair bit and it's pretty unique. I'm not a huge fan of the plateau itself though - too much wandering around obstacles, the peat makes it hard going coupled to the very acute feeling you're causing damage. Which is hard to reconcile with the feeling that it's so unusual every walker should go across it both ways in my view.

The edges though I do like a lot. Easy walking for the most part with all you have to do is make sure you don't fall off and enjoy the view. It's nice to have something like that practically on my doorstep, and whilst not directly comparable to the Lakes, you do get a slight flavour of them.

Dazza
--------

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy