Author Topic: 300 mile walk?  (Read 1714 times)

longdistance

300 mile walk?
« on: 20:39:06, 20/03/07 »
Hello fellow walkers!

I am contemplating a walk from Manchester to Broadstairs, Kent. I do not have sufficient funds to return home for Easter via public transport and walking seemed the most logical alternative. I of course envisage that this would involve walking for several days and could potentially be very physically demanding. However, my main concern is safety(best places to pitch tent and sleep) and route(best to avoid motorways?). Since I have not graced this forum or any other walking forum for that matter I am not sure whether my 300 mile stroll seems like cake walk for the more experienced walkers amongst us or just plain idiotic. I would appreciated any feedback(other than don't do it!). PS. Although their would be a practical aspect of my walk(getting home for Easter). I would also be making a point that public transport is far too expensive and generally of a very poor quality in this country.

Best Wishes

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: 300 mile walk?
« Reply #1 on: 17:22:49, 21/03/07 »
Barmy idea, ridiculous ... I love it  :)

I'd suggest you link up several long distance paths .. and only use motorways when strictly necessary  ;D

I take it you're no stranger to walking long distance? (I hope so for your sake).  Not too sure of your motives though, surely it'd be cheaper to get on a train than walk?

Ha Ha, crazy. You gotta smile  :)

titaniumdude

« Reply #2 on: 18:20:52, 21/03/07 »
Agreed.  300 miles is no small undertaking and unless you're super fit it's gonna take at least 2 weeks (and even then you'd need to be fit).  I suppose some dude did run the Pennine Way in 2.5 days and the record for the WHW race is under 16 hours.  Then there is of course the mad Wasedale farmer who managed 63 mountains (hills) in 90 odd miles with 35,000ft of ascent in 24 hours.  Of course there is also the likes of Matt Hazley to put us mere mortals in our place, last I heard he was attempting the Apalachian trail in 40 odd days.  The present record for that one is about 53 days by some ultra marathon runner and Matt was going to achieve his goal mainly by...well...not stopping.  18 hours a day on the move at an average pace of 4mph.  In a nutshell you'd better be setting off soon to get there for 8th April unless you fall into one of the above categories of super human.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Blue-Fingers

« Reply #3 on: 20:46:34, 22/03/07 »
Hello fellow walkers!

I am contemplating a walk from Manchester to Broadstairs, Kent. I do not have sufficient funds to return home for Easter via public transport and walking seemed the most logical alternative. I of course envisage that this would involve walking for several days and could potentially be very physically demanding. However, my main concern is safety(best places to pitch tent and sleep) and route(best to avoid motorways?). Since I have not graced this forum or any other walking forum for that matter I am not sure whether my 300 mile stroll seems like cake walk for the more experienced walkers amongst us or just plain idiotic. I would appreciated any feedback(other than don't do it!). PS. Although their would be a practical aspect of my walk(getting home for Easter). I would also be making a point that public transport is far too expensive and generally of a very poor quality in this country.

Best Wishes

I would think about following the canal ways , you might be lucky enough to cadge a lift here and there of the many friendly boaties  ;)

Have you thought about cycling it ? just a thought

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:18:33, 25/03/07 »
Great idea, (if your fit)

I take it you are going to carry all your kit, i.e Tent, s/bag, stove, food water, ect

If it helps people thought i was mad when i done this    walkingforlife.piczo.com 1252 miles.

the site may help, then again it may not?

Any advice i can give you, just ask

Oh and by the way Besst of Luck ;)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy