Author Topic: Surprise Gore-Tex Refund  (Read 1437 times)

WILDWALKINGUK

Surprise Gore-Tex Refund
« on: 09:17:02, 30/05/19 »
I purchased a pair of Inov8 Roclite 345 GTX boots (from an internet site) and within 3 months, I had walked 1200 miles in them on my Lands End to John O'Groats via the 3 peaks walk. On my blog I criticised the Gore-Tex (waterproof) linings for leaking after 300 miles again. I was surprised to receive a message from Gore-Tex asking me to contact them. They collected the totally worn out boots and took them back to their repair and testing centre in Germany. After a week or so they sent me a full good will refund for the full price of the boots. 
I stand by my criticism of the linings as I have had 3 pairs of boots fail around the same mileage,  but I am extremely impressed by Gore-Tex customer service.
I recommend you read Gore-Tex guarantee if buying a pair of boots with a Gore-Tex lining. It is worth the paper its written on, as they say.   
If interested, there are more details on my website: wildwalkinguk.com       

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Surprise Gore-Tex Refund
« Reply #1 on: 11:16:23, 30/05/19 »
Oh my - that is good service, after 1200 miles!
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:11:48, 30/05/19 »
Impressive customer service, I must say!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:49:31, 30/05/19 »
But will they solve the problem which they must know exusts else they would not have given refund.
Too little, too late, too bad......

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:50:07, 31/05/19 »
I don't think it is a problem they can solve, as it is a fundamental issue with relying on a membrane for waterproofing boots. Goretex sandwiched with or lining leather can work very well. Goretex in fabric boots gets repeated creasing and/or grit inside that wears rapidly through the membrane.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:21:48, 31/05/19 »
I don't think it is a problem they can solve, as it is a fundamental issue with relying on a membrane for waterproofing boots. Goretex sandwiched with or lining leather can work very well. Goretex in fabric boots gets repeated creasing and/or grit inside that wears rapidly through the membrane.
But 300 miles only? I do not buy it.

They have either skimped on the strength of the material or attached/stitched/welded/glued it incorrectly in a lot of cases. Or it could be that the material is just not up to the job.

They know the conditions the boots are put through so your reasons should not hold true following testing. The fact that they do maybes show that this material should not be used in boots, given they know the conditions you state exist. It may be great for less strenuous and testing purposes.
Hopefully they are working on solutions rather than buying off those who have the nouse to complain, however that complaint reaches them.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Kukkudrill

« Reply #6 on: 14:57:11, 31/05/19 »

As far as I know, Gore-Tex simply supplies the material and it is up to footwear manufacturers to sew it into their products. So you have to ask whether there is an inherent defect in the material or whether some footwear manufacturers have quality control problems in their manufacturing process.

Some boots are more prone to fail than others. I've had boots by Salomon and Lowa leak but (touch wood) I also have boots by Ecco that have remained waterproof.

And at least Gore-Tex are willing to stand by their product, even though they didn't make the boots in question. There are companies that make waterproof boots but refuse to guarantee them against leaks.
Make the most of the available light

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:23:03, 31/05/19 »
Or it could be that the material is just not up to the job.

I have yet to have a pair of fabric Goretex boots or walking shoes or running shoes that stayed waterproof for more than a year. Some didn't even manage more than a few outings before failing walking through wet grass. And these are from reputable companies.
Leather or plastic boots with Goretex incorporated in the design, that's another matter. Still working well after over a decade. And from the same manufacturers as some of the fabric pairs that failed.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy