Author Topic: TR Wild camp below Little Hart Crag Sat 23 to Sun 24 Feb 19  (Read 1915 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Saturday we were out for another wild camp, this time we wanted to pitch near Little Hart Crag and we hoped we might get a bit of a sunset view. We left home at 7.45 and eventually reached Ambleside at 11.25. We were going over Red Screes and we started climbing straight away going up the Kirkstone Road and Sweden Bank Lane for a while then right on the footpath to rejoin the Kirkstone Road. I mentioned to Beefy that the road was called The Struggle, well it is at the top. As we were both struggling we could well understand the name  ;D

The view from the footpath to Kirkstone Road

There were some highland cattle in a field along with some cute babies. It gave us an excuse to stop for a rest so we could take some pics

A very cute highland calf

A highland cow

We got to the footpath onto Red Screes and we stopped to take a layer off. We were too hot. There wasn't any wind this low down, although we had climbed quite a bit. The sun was out and it was quite warm for February

The long distance views were very hazy

Beefy The Birthday Boy and Squeaky on the way up Red Screes

Squeaky had no layers on!

We stopped for some lunch after and hour and then carried on climbing up, up, up! It is 4 miles to Red Screes, all uphill from Ambleside.

I think that is Snarker Pike ahead

Squeaky now had a coat on, the wind was getting stronger as we climbed

The summit still seems a long way away

The views were even more hazy now, claggy almost

Beefy and Squeaky on Red Screes summit

The wind was stronger again here and we put a layer on in the shelter. It was forecast to be much worse so we thought we were lucky!

We descended to the Scandale Pass with a threat of rain in the air. We wandered about a bit until we found a pitch out of the wind but we went to the tarn to get some water first before we pitched. We got the tent up just in time as light rain started to fall when we were having our tea.

The MSR below Little Hart Crag

The clag came down with the rain so we got no sunset view, or any view at all but it was getting dark anyway. We had some wine and enjoyed our second camp of the year. The wind had died down to nothing by 9pm.

Next day the MSR below Little Hart Crag

The last mountain forecast we'd looked at before we left had said the temperature at 600m would drop to 6 or 7 overnight. Wrong! It dropped to freezing and there was frost on the tent and the ground in the morning. Squeaky was warm enough in her bag but Beefy and myself felt a bit cold; we had thought it would be as mild as last weekend and our +5 bags would be enough. What do you do, bring your winter bag just in case or believe the forecast? We had our breakfast and packed our gear. We saw someone had been camping here before us and left a rusty peg and some cigarette ends. We picked them up and put them in our rubbish bag.

Inversion over Ambleside

The inversion had covered Scandale overnight.

Beefy and Squeaky on Little Hart Crag

It was very windy and cold up here. We had a glorious day with blue skies and nice views though.

The view toward Place Fell from Little Hart Crag

The view beyond Middle Dodd to Rampsgill Head and High Raise

Dove Crag

On the way to High Hartsop Dodd

On the descent of High Hartsop Dodd

We did this descent in June 18. At the time I wrote it wasn't bad enough to put on the "Never Again in Descent" list but it earned a place on the "Won't do that again in a hurry" list. I've changed my mind, it was torture this time. It goes on the "Never Again in Descent" list. At the top and on twice  :D

A look back at the route off High Hartsop Dodd

We stopped for a break and brew near Brothers Water. We had to keep an eye on the time because if we missed the 12.50 bus it would be three hours until the next one. The views became hazy like they'd done the day before and we had had the best of the day weather wise.

Arnison Crag from the path to Patterdale

Place Fell from near Beckstones

We walked at a brisk pace by Crookabeck and Rooking and we got to Patterdale with 5 minutes to spare for our bus. It was one of our favourite bus drivers, he is good for a laugh, a Scot with a very dark sense of humour.

Day 1 was Ambleside - Kirkstone Road - Sweden Bridge Lane - Kirkstone Road - Red Screes - Scandale Tarn - pitch below Little Hart Crag. 9.25km with 814m ascent.

Day 2 was Pitch - Little Hart Crag - Brothers Water - Beckstones - Patterdale. 8.5km with 200m ascent. Not a bad wild camp, considering it is only February and Beefy had a birthday wild camp  O0
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great pics Ape as usual O0
Was a lovely weekend most of it  ;D
A bit colder than predicted though
Fancy a WC this weekend  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

karl h

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics and Tr April O0  What is it with the hills around the Brotherswater area ? every one is a stupidly steep climb >:(
Glacial erosion landforms want putting on the banned list ;D
And happy birthday to the Beefster..he's looking well for 97 :D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Happy Birthday young man.

Great photos  O0  I thought the second one was Squeaky in a new thermal coat.

What is it with the hills around the Brotherswater area ? every one is a stupidly steep climb >:(
Have you thought about walking in Lincolnshire rather than Cumbria.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

Nice pics, April. I love the country around Brotherswater.

We (wife, son, dog and I) climbed Dove Crag vis beautiful Dovedale last April, and descended to Scandale Pass via the prominent cairn, but didn't bother 'bagging' Little Hart Crag.

« Last Edit: 08:02:46, 27/02/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
Fancy a WC this weekend  :D

:-\ It looks a bit iffy weather wise

And happy birthday to the Beefster..he's looking well for 97 :D

I thought he was 98?  :-\  :D

Have you thought about walking in Lincolnshire rather than Cumbria.

;D

@ Richard, nice pic  :) Dovedale is lovely  :)
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Does beefy get a pension yet?  ;D
Great pic of the young bullock (?)
Does look steep that slope,, was it beefys idea?  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
Does look steep that slope,, was it beefys idea?  ;D

It was all my idea  ;D

Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

Descended the steep slopes on the north side of upper Dovedale last Feb, just upstream of the footbridge, to avoid hard steep snow in the gully below Dove Crag. Very steep grass, then moss covered rocks - absolute concentration needed!

The hills are certainly steep in that part of the world - but better that than Lincolnshire!  :D
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Another great pitch and photos - but what are the chances of a previous pitch by someone else in that exact spot, of all places?. It's not exactly  well known in that sense.
Yes, that descent line is a right knee-wobbler done only once. Like the ascent of Hartsop Dodd down the valley, once is quite enough!.

adalard

• Veteran Member
Great photos and write up, April - and belated happy birthday to Beefy!  :) O0

April

• Veteran Member
The hills are certainly steep in that part of the world - but better that than Lincolnshire!  :D

;D

Thanks sunnydale  :)

Another great pitch and photos - but what are the chances of a previous pitch by someone else in that exact spot, of all places?.

I always wonder how many others have pitched somewhere before we did but "Leave No Trace". Nobody would know we had been there except for our pics and vid  :)

Thanks adalard  O0
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy