Author Topic: TR - Symonds Yat  (Read 1227 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR - Symonds Yat
« on: 09:09:25, 28/07/20 »
We have rented a cottage in the Forest of Dean for a week.
This walk started at the Symonds Yat Rock car park which was absolutely packed with people. The first problem was how to pay for parking, the machine only took coins and to park all day was £7 but between us we only had £6.76 in change. You could also pay using your phone but, unsurprisingly, there was no signal. I walked up to the cafe, could they change a £10 note for the parking machine?
'No, we don't have enough change'
'Oh, I'm a bit stuck then'
'Well we can sell you a parking ticket here if you want to do that'
'Yes of course I do, did you think that I have some strange parking ticket machine fetish where I get off on putting coins in a slot, I don't care where the ticket comes from so long as I can park my car'

So parking ticket purchased we walked with the crowds up to the top of Symonds Yat rock for the amazing views over the river Wye.

It was starting to gently rain and there were no signs of the raptors that can sometimes be seen here.
The river is in huge loops here so the picture is looking off the east side of the rock but we then walked steeply down through the woods to the west to get to the river. It was raining quite heavily now but the foliage was so dense that we stayed mostly dry.

Coin log in the woods

The rain had stopped and we walked on the side of the river on the bed of the old railway track before crossing the river on the very wobbly suspension bridge. Mrs R was not happy.

We stopped for our lunch and then had coffee and cake in the cafe before continuing on along the river bank.
The valley was heavily industrialised in the past and there were a number of ruins to explore including this lime kiln

We climbed the hill up a steep gully.

Then headed up further to an iron age hill fort. The banks and ditches were still very clear to see, though they didn't photograph well.
We doubled back on our selves and walked along the top of the ridge to King Arthur's Cave.

Then returned to the river and had to re-cross the suspension bridge.

Then back along the old railway and up the hill to the car. A very pleasant 10 miles.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Symonds Yat
« Reply #1 on: 09:32:33, 28/07/20 »
Lovely area for walking though with the twists and turns of the river I can find the area quite disorientating.

Presumably it hadn't occurred to anyone to put a notice on the parking machines to say you could buy a ticket in the Café

As you are there for a week I guess you will discover the ferry. Hearkening Rock is a fascinating geological feature too.
« Last Edit: 09:38:21, 28/07/20 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:36:49, 28/07/20 »
Double post - sorry :(

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:41:33, 28/07/20 »
It was lovely Jac.
No, no one had put a sign on the machine there was just a long queue of socially distanced people waiting to discover if they have enough change or a phone signal. No one had a phone signal. I guess a lot of people are only stopping there for a short while to go to the top of the rock and back so don't need as much cash.
We were going to use the ferry but it is closed, according to the sign this is because of damage during recent flooding.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:09:34, 28/07/20 »
It was lovely Jac.
No, no one had put a sign on the machine there was just a long queue of socially distanced people waiting to discover if they have enough change or a phone signal. No one had a phone signal. I guess a lot of people are only stopping there for a short while to go to the top of the rock and back so don't need as much cash.
We were going to use the ferry but it is closed, according to the sign this is because of damage during recent flooding.

That is sad about the ferry - do hope it is repaired.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:45:47, 28/07/20 »
Nice report, Ridge, and I hope to see some more of your week's stay.
It's a fantastic area, where Mrs Fernman and I used to camp at Coleford every spare weekend we had in the warmer months. Living as we do close to the London end of the A40., all we had to do was point the car in the right direction.
We once crossed that steel suspension bridge in a violent thunderstorm, frightened that it might get struck by lightning.
« Last Edit: 10:50:57, 28/07/20 by fernman »

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:06:37, 28/07/20 »
Kayaked that section about 45 years ago.
Forgot how nice it is there.

You would think that the cafe you put a note on the ticket machine that they sell tickets.
Though it is a good way to earn some cash, pretend to be the ticket seller.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:14:47, 28/07/20 »
Good report and photos Ridge. How many caves etc does King Arthur have?  ;D
I’ve always wanted to go to Symonds Yat, but never had a holiday in the Forest of Dean(other than walking Offas Dyke). If I was going away now I would have thought that to be a good choice (ie not so busy), but I guess everywhere in the UK is busy now.
Hope you’re keeping up with the training!

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:56:38, 28/07/20 »
Nice pics and report . Symonds Yat is 60 mile from my home , so when you post more , it should give me some food for thought  in regards to a visit or two in the future .
I have only ever been one time and that was 30 years ago.  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:03:28, 28/07/20 »
Thanks for the comments everyone.
It is definitely worth a visit G&P

We once crossed that steel suspension bridge in a violent thunderstorm, frightened that it might get struck by lightning.
That doesn't sound like fun.

You would think that the cafe you put a note on the ticket machine that they sell tickets.
Though it is a good way to earn some cash, pretend to be the ticket seller.
;D The ticket from the cafe was just hand written on a blank one from the machine.

Hope you’re keeping up with the training!
Lots of walks but not lots of distance, Mrs R doesn't do over 10 miles.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:59:15, 28/07/20 »
Lovely stuff Ridge  O0 I would not have liked that wibbly wobbly bridge either  :)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:02:04, 28/07/20 »
Lovely - I don't know the Forest of Dean - I have a suspicion that I might have visited with friends years ago, but my memory fails me.

..and that King Arthur - he gets about a bit, doesn't he? Almost as much as Bonnie Prince Charlie  ;)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:19:26, 28/07/20 »
..and that King Arthur - he gets about a bit, doesn't he? Almost as much as Bonnie Prince Charlie  ;)
As for Mary Queen of Scots, is there a bed she didn't sleep in?

Lovely stuff Ridge  O0 I would not have liked that wibbly wobbly bridge either  :)
It was quite wobbly.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:17:00, 28/07/20 »
Lovely pics Ridge O0

Between them both King Arthur and Robin Hood seem to have monopolised all the countries caves  ;)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:23:40, 28/07/20 »
As for Mary Queen of Scots, is there a bed she didn't sleep in?

It was quite wobbly.
Mine.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy