Author Topic: Goggles  (Read 1753 times)

Chris954

Goggles
« on: 17:41:03, 22/11/18 »
does anybody wear ski type goggles for walking in strong winds, last winter we climbed up to the great ridge from the bottom of Mam Tor and as we turned towards the summit we were blinded by strong sunlight and a howling gale, I ended up looking down at the ground as I couldnt see for tears streaming down my face. I've been looking for some online but dont particularly want to pay £50 or £60 for a pair for something I might only use a couple of times a year and would prefer clear or yellow lenses. Any recommendations?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Goggles
« Reply #2 on: 18:09:25, 22/11/18 »
Just buy some cheap safety goggles

https://www.hivis.net/131/personal-protection-equipment/jsp-safety-goggles/clear-lens/?productstyleid=131&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp5qQuMjo3gIV7b_tCh0aOAm0EAQYASABEgJZlfD_BwE

Depends if you want to see where you are going or not.
I would recommend yellow tinted double lens ski googles preferably with ventilation.  The yellow tint will give added visibility in low contrast conditions.  The double screen will resist misting and if they have added ventilation they should stay clear at moderate levels of exertion. Try https://www.decathlon.co.uk/Buy/Men's+Ski+Goggles?fi=p for inexpensive googles.
When not in use make sure you stow them in their bag as they can get scratched.  I think the ones in my avatar are Scott goggles - a bit more pricey but I use them for walking and skiing
Solvitur Ambulando

Chris954

« Reply #3 on: 18:29:15, 22/11/18 »
these were the ones I was thinking about https://www.decathlon.co.uk/g-tmax-400-bad-weather-ski-goggles-white-id_8374691.html [nofollow] seem to be a reasonable price and the yellow lenses will help to pick out detail  in bad conditions

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:51:38, 22/11/18 »
these were the ones I was thinking about https://www.decathlon.co.uk/g-tmax-400-bad-weather-ski-goggles-white-id_8374691.html seem to be a reasonable price and the yellow lenses will help to pick out detail  in bad conditions
  Not familiar with them but they look the job.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:04:38, 22/11/18 »
I am waiting delivery on some cheap goggles from China. Might be rubbish, but I have bought cheap and received quality from China in the past, so I thought I would take a punt. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UV-400-Professional-Skiing-Snowboard-Mirror-Goggles-Anti-fog-Protective-Glasses/202480727260?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144&redirect=mobile

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:13:52, 22/11/18 »
On the face of it they do not appear to have yellow lenses. Dark lenses are great for piste cruising in the sun but for trekking in poor vis or flat light give me yellow.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:46:41, 22/11/18 »
I was in Decathlon yesterday, just wandering around while my wife food shopped (I know my place) and they sell goggles, cheap as well. The cheapest was £13 I think. Maybe worth a look?

Chris954

« Reply #9 on: 09:01:38, 24/11/18 »
another question for people who wear them, when I walk in cold and windy conditions my eyes start streaming, which is why I considered goggles, but also this makes my nose run like a tap, does wearing goggles stop or reduce the amount your nose runs?

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:30:35, 24/11/18 »
My own experience with goggles is that unless they have double lenses they are not too useful especially so higher up for winter work or for skiing.  Also look for the wider fitting ones that fit comfortably over spectacles.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:37:11, 24/11/18 »
another question for people who wear them, when I walk in cold and windy conditions my eyes start streaming, which is why I considered goggles, but also this makes my nose run like a tap, does wearing goggles stop or reduce the amount your nose runs?
No. Nasal streaming is caused by cold air. The air is still cold.

You can reduce the problem by wearing a buff/scarf over your mouth and nose and tucking it in under the edge of your goggles but I have found this can aggravate the misting problem if there is not a decent wind into the goggle vents.

(Edited to add solution)
« Last Edit: 13:20:59, 24/11/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #12 on: 16:01:36, 26/11/18 »
I got some safety glasses from Screwfix recently. They have gaskets and so provide a closer fit than standard safety glasses. Cost £11.99.
Dave

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:51:31, 01/12/18 »
On the face of it they do not appear to have yellow lenses. Dark lenses are great for piste cruising in the sun but for trekking in poor vis or flat light give me yellow.

Goggles arrived today.  Not much tint on them and it is more yellow brown not grey, so hopefully they will be great for the rare occasions I need them.  I am still learning what works, my experience of snow is still pretty limited. 

The last two winters I have worn my driving glasses, basically clear pollycarb safety goggles bought from Screwfix for under a tenner.  Always been a concern that a stone might come over the wind screen, having had few wack the top of it over the years. They keep the wind out too.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy