Author Topic: Which cameras do you take into he hills walking  (Read 4280 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Which cameras do you take into he hills walking
« Reply #30 on: 21:37:28, 08/10/19 »
The camera on my Samsung S10+ is better than the camera on my camera .. I have given up and just use the phone now, it is extraordinary what you can do with it, given a bit of homework. Surprisingly sophisticated
I know exactly what you mean Mel.  Take a look at the comparison pics from my Daughter's S10.   I was surprised at the quality, which is better than her old digital camera and vastly superior to my old S5 phone.

You still can't beat a larger sensor though.  As proven by the pictures taken on the other dedicated cameras.  If it is just land scapes to remember a day out then I agree.  No point in a dedicated camera any more. 

Anything more specific especially anything  that needs a zoom lens and a phone still can't get close.

hinch184

« Reply #31 on: 15:56:35, 15/10/19 »
Used to take my Nikon D300 with a 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 and 17-55mm f/2.8G with a heavy duty tripod and other accessories (remote trigger, flashgun, filters, spare batteries).....now I just take my mobile, saves a solid 7kg and I've no rear fear of dropping it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 21:19:51, 15/10/19 »
Used to take my Nikon D300 with a 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 and 17-55mm f/2.8G with a heavy duty tripod and other accessories (remote trigger, flashgun, filters, spare batteries).....now I just take my mobile, saves a solid 7kg and I've no rear fear of dropping it.

If you enjoyed your camera before, it might be worth taking a peek at some of the newer pocket rockets.  The little Lumix TZ200  is no bigger than my mobile phone.  It takes quality pictures though.far better than the latest smart phones can manage.

Plus, as well as being an easy point and click, it also  has fully maual controls and a view finder, all in something smaller than the palm of my hand.   As you may gather I love it. 

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 21:49:41, 15/10/19 »
I couldn’t cope with a camera smaller than the palm of my hand. Cameras are one area where size matters. I usually have battery grips attached to my DSLRs to give a bit more to hold onto and to give me extended battery life.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 00:07:21, 16/10/19 »
I couldn’t cope with a camera smaller than the palm of my hand. Cameras are one area where size matters. I usually have battery grips attached to my DSLRs to give a bit more to hold onto and to give me extended battery life.

It has taken some patients and hours of interwebbing.  But now I have the camera set to work pretty much how my old Olympus OM10 worked.  Manual focus on the lens ring, ISO on the top dial.   Of course I can press a function button to set the whole thing up for automatic point and shoot.  But just now I am enjoying doing things myself.

As for battery life it's around 370 pictures.  Plus I can simply plug it into my battery pack via USB whist on the move. So several times that figure if required in a day.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 07:22:10, 16/10/19 »
I have large hands and prefer the camera body to be large, so that it isn’t completely lost. I then have some chance of hitting the right button or dial.

hinch184

« Reply #36 on: 09:07:50, 16/10/19 »

If you enjoyed your camera before, it might be worth taking a peek at some of the newer pocket rockets.  The little Lumix TZ200  is no bigger than my mobile phone.  It takes quality pictures though.far better than the latest smart phones can manage.

Plus, as well as being an easy point and click, it also  has fully maual controls and a view finder, all in something smaller than the palm of my hand.   As you may gather I love it.

I'll have a look at a few alternatives, but I'm also in team "bigger is better" mainly due to having massive hands, the D300 is a large crop sensor body, still feels small in my hands  :-[

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 16:25:49, 17/10/19 »

I'll have a look at a few alternatives, but I'm also in team "bigger is better" mainly due to having massive hands, the D300 is a large crop sensor body, still feels small in my hands  :-[
My hands are like proper spades.  I guess being an engineer and a climber helps with touch.  As does having a touch sensitive screen on modern pocket cameras.

Welcome to the land of the giants.   O0

hinch184

« Reply #38 on: 09:14:59, 18/10/19 »
Yeah I think for me I'd get annoyed at that size, can be clumsy too so still not the best option. Although saying that, I do have a fancy for the Sony A7 series.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 09:48:38, 18/10/19 »
I have a Sony A7 II, which I love, but rarely take walking due to size.  I take a Sony HX90V in my hip belt when walking - find I take far more pictures.  I have it set to Superior Auto while in the pocket - and only fidle with non-auto settings if I have the time and can be bothered!

hinch184

« Reply #40 on: 13:35:59, 22/10/19 »
I used to love going out specifically to get the shot, hence all the gear, but now my love has moved on to the walk, the experience and making sure i'm challenging myself physically, few phone snaps does the trick....however, I could invest in one of these compact jobs just to ensure i'm able to get a quality shot if I want it :)

+1 the Sony A7 series, more and more tempted to invest each day!

Lee R

« Reply #41 on: 19:10:31, 22/10/19 »
I used to love going out specifically to get the shot, hence all the gear, but now my love has moved on to the walk, the experience and making sure i'm challenging myself physically, few phone snaps does the trick....however, I could invest in one of these compact jobs just to ensure i'm able to get a quality shot if I want it :)

+1 the Sony A7 series, more and more tempted to invest each day!

I pretty much spend all of my time with an A7 & Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 - Yes, it's bigger than a compact camera but certainly much lighter/smaller than a conventional DSLR.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 10:58:48, 23/10/19 »
Anyone on here got any experience of a zoom lens for Smart phone????

This type of thing.
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-add-on-lenses-for-iphone-and-android-phones
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy