Author Topic: A problem with one layer in particular.  (Read 1311 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
A problem with one layer in particular.
« on: 11:20:26, 19/07/20 »
I've always had difficulty in choosing the right layer to go over my base layer and under my rain or wind jacket, particularly early in the morning. When I crawl out of my tent and the weather is what I would call, neither hot nor cold, I then try to find the warmth level that I like as soon as possible.

I've often found it too chilly to stand around wearing just a base layer, and for example, a shirt on top, so I've often looked for a fleece or something similar to wear as well, just to warm me up by a couple of degrees.

The nearest I've got to a 'jack of all trades' garment is my Alpkit synthetic 'warm' full-zip jacket, it's thin(ish) so I don't use it a lot, just to warm me up by a couple of degrees when needed, or if I want it to warm myself up by a few more degrees I'll then wear it under my wind jacket.

The other time of the day, after hiking for hours when I can feel a similar chilliness is in the late afternoon. If I stop for a rest for example I may then feel a bit cold so I just slip my Alpkit jacket on, it usually does the trick to get my body heat back to the temperature that I find to be comfortable. I've tried fleece's (I have two of them) but after a few minutes of pottering around, I find they start to feel a bit clammy and will make me hotter than I want to be.

I may sound picky but getting up in the morning and maintaining a stable 'feel-good' temperature is an experience that I like.

I know that my Alpkit jacket does the trick, but I've never been able to work out why it works in the way that it does. If I could understand why this jacket works in the way that it does I could then hopefully purchase something that will also work in the same way?

Apache

• Account Closed
Re: A problem with one layer in particular.
« Reply #1 on: 14:20:02, 19/07/20 »
Which particular Alpkit jacket do you mean?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:14:16, 19/07/20 »
Its called a Heiko, much more expensive now than when I first bought it. It's also now been washed so many times it feels thinner as well, but it still does the job for me. It works at its best when its cool but not cold, or works better when its cold under my wind jacket.

I later bought a similar jacket, a few pounds more but with a different name (I can't remember what it was called), but its no longer sold by them. At the time they looked and felt the same but my second purchase soon went in the bin because the lining they used made me very sweaty but was no better at keeping me warm. The lining on my Heiko doesn't do this to me so I've always been happy with its performance. If it's properly cold I use my Rab down jacket to keep me warm.

I will not buy another fleece but I will continue to look for a synthetic product that performs in the way that I want it to but doesn't have the look of my Heiko padded jacket.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:25:03, 19/07/20 »
I often just use a wool jumper as the mid layer, not noticed any problems with that.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:27:27, 19/07/20 »
I read the title and thought you had a problem with a chicken  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:41:35, 19/07/20 »
You've clearly been away from the city too long.  ;D O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:52:35, 20/07/20 »

;D ;D ;D

Best to have it for the pot!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:56:21, 20/07/20 »
For hanging around camp I just throw on a cheapo synthetic gilet from Mountain Warehouse - this doubles as my pillow for the night - and an excellent pillow it makes too.

I certainly don't have a problem with fleeces, I have a range - light, medium and heavy (fleece/fibre pile combos) - and I bring the fleece appropriate to the conditions that I expect. Mid-layer is the least important layer as there are so many cheap options that will do the job.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:33:36, 20/07/20 »
I have some cheap, thin, half-zip fleeces from Mountain Warehouse. The material allows some air to pass through, so I find these good for breathable insulation. They are also fine for walking in without being drenched in sweat. I am not someone who particularly feels the cold.

zuludog

« Reply #9 on: 11:56:57, 20/07/20 »
My usual upper body clothing for late spring, summer, and autumn, or 'between the hour changes' is -

A synthetic base layer T shirt by Karrimor or LIDL
A microfleece pull on tp by Lowe Alpine or Mountain Equipment
A medium weight  - Polartec 200? - zip up fleece jacket
An old Rohan pull on polycotton top
A medium weight fleece gilet/body warmer in summer, or a synthetic filled one for the cooler ends of the season

Thus I can make various combinations
A common one is the base layer & microfleece & body warmer when I wake up and first emerge into the world
Then when i get moving I swap the body warmer for the polycotton top. The zip chest pocket does for money & tickets when I'm travelling, and map & compass when I'm walking

Theo Frum

« Reply #10 on: 12:52:48, 20/07/20 »
Fleece jumpers have got thicker over the last 25 years, all the stuff in the shops nowadays is too thick and hot. I've got just one jumper left from the early 90s, and I dread the day it wears out because it's my only one that's not too hot. Fortunately it's been mostly used for cycle touring, so it's been spared the additional wear & tear of a rucsac.

I only discovered the difference in the thickness of fleece jumpers by accident when I suddenly found there wasn't enough room in my luggage to pack some new jumpers I'd bought.

Ronin83

« Reply #11 on: 11:09:48, 05/08/20 »
Generally use a fleece, different thickness for time of year, but going to try out wool. Got an alpaca jumper so might give that a go when it gets a bit cooler.
Think I'll order a wool shirt nearer autumn/winter too. Even merino feels a bit itchy against my skin, but as a mid layer should be great. Problem is it creates lots of static if combined with polyester.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:07:04, 05/08/20 »
Synthetic gilet works for me, think mine is in Primaloft Gold, nice collar to keep avoid that wind down your neck feeling, more packable due to no sleeves and windproof outer fabric helps when you're walking around in a morning outside your tent.

Don't think there is any particular magic trick for mid-layers, some of us run very hot and only need a fleece when it's approaching freezing, others need more layers in your pack and chill very quickly.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:33:40, 05/08/20 »
I itch if I wear a merino top. I've solved the problem by buying a Brynge 'string vest.' I think it's just enough to create an air space between my skin and the merino wool. It's not the best to wear when it's hot like now, it adds to my body heat but it really helped me on Tuesday, I just wore my thin Columbia hiking shirt over it and it felt really comfortable all day.

rigby

« Reply #14 on: 16:20:52, 06/08/20 »
I'll use my rain shell in the morning if it's cold enough and usually within 15 mins I'll have warmed up. Stored  on the outside of my pack it only takes a minute to stow away. If I felt it was going to be a 50/50 issue (and that's usually down to wind) I'd bring along my windblocker (Montane Lite-speed).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy