Author Topic: Bothy Protocol  (Read 1532 times)

myxpyr

Bothy Protocol
« on: 19:13:14, 23/07/19 »
Reading up about bothies in the Cairngorms I was rather alarmed to come across this:
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/stay-in-a-bothy-for-free-3259090?page=2#thread-comments.
It seems to be "promoting" the use of bothies as free holiday accommodation as opposed to emergency or casual(as in 1 or 2 nights) stays on long treks. This I feel runs against the ethos of the bothy system. It led me to wonder how to deal with a situation whereby you arrive at a bothy intending to stay for the night, only to find Mum, Dad, two kids and a dog who obviously intend spending their annual holiday there.
Anyone got any thoughts? My initial thought would be to tell them to sod off to Butlins >:( But then Dad might be bigger than me ;D

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: Bothy Protocol
« Reply #1 on: 19:43:03, 23/07/19 »
 Just mention that last time you stayed here you were awakened at 3am by a rat inside your sleeping bag.

myxpyr

« Reply #2 on: 20:09:09, 23/07/19 »
Just mention that last time you stayed here you were awakened at 3am by a rat inside your sleeping bag.
;D

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:00:56, 23/07/19 »
The few bothies I have come accross are not a place the wife and kids would thank me for a fortnights stay.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:51:14, 23/07/19 »

I do wonder whether the article was intended to be a bit 'tongue in cheek'.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:37:28, 23/07/19 »
I do wonder whether the article was intended to be a bit 'tongue in cheek'.
  I did like the advice in one of the comments to keep an eye on your spell checker or you could end up spending a night in a brothel instead.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:56:40, 24/07/19 »
It always amazes me, how well maintained the small bothy in Cwm Eigiau appears, everytime i visit it.
There's never any criminal damage, no litter, and no silly or unwanted comments left in the visitors book.

I cannot comment on bothies in other areas of the Uk, but due to their very remote locations, it stands to reason their not designed for a long vacation.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 05:52:00, 25/07/19 »
Everything for camping except the tent? You could have a great disappointment if not taking a tent to an remote bothy or even to one that us not so remote.
Have only used many of the remote shelters in Scotland. If arriving at a full Bothy or at one where you wouldn't choose to spend the night with the encumbents ...without a tent what would you do?

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 06:11:49, 25/07/19 »
I thought it was obviously a joke. Like the infamous trip advisor report complaining about Ben Nevis.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

myxpyr

« Reply #9 on: 09:41:20, 25/07/19 »
It always amazes me, how well maintained the small bothy in Cwm Eigiau appears, everytime i visit it.
There's never any criminal damage, no litter, and no silly or unwanted comments left in the visitors book.

I cannot comment on bothies in other areas of the Uk, but due to their very remote locations, it stands to reason their not designed for a long vacation.
I thought that was a club-owned hut with restricted access.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:06:04, 25/07/19 »
There two different buildings.

myxpyr

« Reply #11 on: 15:02:10, 26/07/19 »
There two different buildings.
Where is the bothy?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:10:34, 26/07/19 »
It's just below the outlet from Dulyn Reservoir.

myxpyr

« Reply #13 on: 16:24:30, 26/07/19 »
It's just below the outlet from Dulyn Reservoir.
Not really Cwm Eigiau then :D

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:26:41, 26/07/19 »
Where is the bothy?

SH 703664 is the Bothy.

SH 714638 is the Rugby Mountaineering Club Hut, Cum Eigiau Cottage. This can be booked via the Rugby club the details are on the BMC website. It sleeps 12  although 10 would be more comfortable. It is very basic, gas lighting, chemical loo, cold water.   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy