Author Topic: Kinder Scout with Children  (Read 6020 times)

Jrterror

Kinder Scout with Children
« on: 20:51:30, 01/01/19 »
Hello all
This is my first time on this forum, hopefully not my last though
This year we have decided, as a family to climb one 'Mountain' per month. We intend start on Kinder Scout. I do remember walking it solo many years ago. My approach was from the A57 the Snake Pass. I don't remember the climb being difficult, I do remember climbing up through a steep boulder covered section. I also remember navigation on the top being difficult, even when quite clear. (I was looking for the falls...I was successful)
Anyway, we have two lads we shall be dragging up with us. They are aged 9 and 11. I was wondering which would be the best route for getting up there, keeping in mind the kids. I remember reading that coming at it from the Snake Pass is a really boring route, so I thought we ought to start off with a route that offers some good views etc.
Many thanks for taking the time to read this
D

tom83

Re: Kinder Scout with Children
« Reply #1 on: 21:06:43, 01/01/19 »
Hi and welcome,

Edale is the most common starting point for Kinder, you will have Jacobs Ladder to navigate also, which I remember being quite steep for young children.

You could always start on the Hatfield side and follow the river Kinder, which will eventually lead you to the path you walked before from the A57.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:32:10, 01/01/19 »
From Edale;  Climb Ringing Roger then follow the edge to Grindslow Knoll, then backtrack to descend Grindslow clough back to Edale.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:47:36, 01/01/19 »
Hi there, I would suggest one of two routes with young children, as distance could be an issue.
The first would be out of Hayfield ascending ‘William Clough’ then Head SE on the edge of the plateau to Kinder Downfall. The landscape here is amazing and hopefully you’ll get fantastic views west, out to Manchester not to mention the waterfall. Then heading South to Redbrook. You can always extend the walk but I’d say your kids will do well to manage this route so head down from Redbrook back to Hayfield.

The other route would be from Edale, heading up Grinds Brook. Some great little safe scrambling here near the top. Then skirt the plateau east to Ringing Rodger, before returning to Edale via ‘The Nab’ a bit shorter but still a good adventure for kids  O0

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Jrterror

« Reply #4 on: 23:28:09, 01/01/19 »
Hi. Wow. Great response already. Many thanks.
Not being familiar with the names and locations, does any one have links to a map of their suggested route.
I would like to study the route beforehand.
Thanks again
D

Ralph

« Reply #5 on: 05:01:10, 02/01/19 »
Hi. Wow. Great response already. Many thanks.
Not being familiar with the names and locations, does any one have links to a map of their suggested route.
I would like to study the route beforehand.
Thanks again
D
You could try Harvey Maps Superwalker range, not cheap but good detail and waterproof. Enjoy it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:26:37, 02/01/19 »

Welcome to the forum from the windswept Orkney Isles, Jrterror.

I would go for the Edale route suggested above, and stick to the edges, as the centre of the plateau can be a peaty morass and be difficult to navigate if the clouds come down. I'm sure that your kids will love it.
« Last Edit: 10:13:26, 02/01/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:29:44, 02/01/19 »
Bing Maps is good, as you can view your route on OS 1:50000 and 1:25000 maps.

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=69e5ff30-57f0-49e9-87a8-eec0b42723b0&cp=53.383657~-1.854837&lvl=14&style=s&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

But do make sure you take a map onto the hill with you, as well as compass and other essentials (sorry if I sound as if I am preaching, but I have no idea of your experience  :) ).
« Last Edit: 09:33:13, 02/01/19 by richardh1905 »

Ralph

« Reply #8 on: 09:33:46, 02/01/19 »
Welcome to the forum from the windswept Orkney Isles, Ralph.

I would go for the Edale route suggested above, and stick to the edges, as the centre of the plateau can be a peaty morass and be difficult to navigate if the clouds come down. I'm sure that your kids will love it.
It's Jrterror asking the route recommendations, I've walked Kinder for over 40 years. Thanks for the late welcome though.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:13:59, 02/01/19 »
It's Jrterror asking the route recommendations, I've walked Kinder for over 40 years. Thanks for the late welcome though.

Oops, thanks for pointing that out, Ralph! Corrected.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:11:40, 02/01/19 »
Yeah just to add to other comments, I suggested walking on the edge of the plateau. At this time of year walking over the top can be treacherous, and difficult to navigate due to extremely deep peat groughs that quickly disorientate the unwary without a compass heading to follow. It does require good navigating skill, especially in a low cloud base and it’s just generally challenging and unpleasant.

The edge paths are a far better option  O0

Instagram  jontea62

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:23:50, 02/01/19 »
Another vote for the route via William Clough that jontea mentions above. I have done that exact route with children the same age as yours.

Jrterror

« Reply #12 on: 19:21:05, 03/01/19 »
Hi All
Just thought I'd let you all know how we got on. We decided to tackle Kinder from Hayfield. We climbed up William Clough, turned right along the edge, down to Kinder Falls, then south to Edale Cross. From there we headed West and back to Hayfield
We had a great time. The kids loved it. The Mrs thought I was going over the top with the gear that we took, making sure we had adequate clothing and emergency gear, just incase. Haha. A man and his toys.
Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your recommendations. I'm  going to post another request soon. This time for scenic routes on Mam Tor. So look out for it
Thanks again.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:33:25, 03/01/19 »
Hi All
Just thought I'd let you all know how we got on. We decided to tackle Kinder from Hayfield. We climbed up William Clough, turned right along the edge, down to Kinder Falls, then south to Edale Cross. From there we headed West and back to Hayfield
We had a great time. The kids loved it. The Mrs thought I was going over the top with the gear that we took, making sure we had adequate clothing and emergency gear, just incase. Haha. A man and his toys.
Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your recommendations. I'm  going to post another request soon. This time for scenic routes on Mam Tor. So look out for it
Thanks again.

Thanks for letting us know how you got on Jrterror.
It’s good to know you all had a great day out on Kinder and your kids enjoyed a winter adventure on an excellent route.

As for the extra gear you carried, it sounds like you’re a sensible parent, especially this time of year, better to have it than not  O0

Instagram  jontea62

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:57:04, 04/01/19 »

Thanks for letting us know how you got on Jrterror.
It’s good to know you all had a great day out on Kinder and your kids enjoyed a winter adventure on an excellent route.

As for the extra gear you carried, it sounds like you’re a sensible parent, especially this time of year, better to have it than not  O0

I'll echo all that. Really good to have feedback and know you had a good day.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy