Author Topic: First time to Dartmoor by train.  (Read 4354 times)

JVB

First time to Dartmoor by train.
« on: 14:42:52, 27/06/18 »
Hi All, planning on 3 days 2 nights for my first trip to Dartmoor and my first solo camp. Travelling down by train from Paddington and want to cram as much in as I can and get 2 amazing nights with as little light pollution as possible. Input on where’s best to start best station to head too and must see places will be great if you can help..... best pub to finish at as well would be nice  O0
normality never interested me....

Dan1902

Re: First time to Dartmoor by train.
« Reply #1 on: 09:24:38, 09/07/18 »
You done your little trip yet?If I was going by train I'd probably try Ivybridge. Only one change.
You'ld be south Dartmoor and can get straight on to the Two Moors way if you wanted. Plenty of areas to pitch up for the night.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:49:37, 24/07/18 »
Agree Ivy bridge is a good drop off point.   Also consider Oakhampton.  You are staigtst on to the moor from either.  There is also a Youth hostel at Oakhampton station.  That would be my favourite I think.

PeterDevon

« Reply #3 on: 12:33:10, 25/07/18 »
The train to Okehampton only runs on Sunday!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:37:37, 25/07/18 »
The train to Okehampton only runs on Sunday!

There appear to be several each day, this time of year  Unless I am reading the timetable wrong.

zero

« Reply #5 on: 12:10:51, 25/07/19 »
If you haven't done this already I'd say that if coming from London, get off at Exeter St Davids, then get the bus from outside the station to Okehampton. Then you can walk onto the Moor and could do a route to Princetown and back...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy