Author Topic: Slogger's 5 day C2C attempt.  (Read 12809 times)

dav

Re: Slogger's 5 day C2C attempt.
« Reply #90 on: 18:03:29, 19/09/18 »
I posted a link to my tracker in a facebook C2C group before I did my walk. On finishing I saw that there was much support and interest from members. I made a total of 8 postd about my walk from starting, along the way and after finishing, plus two other postd about the low level route and a link to the northern Traverse ultra. I have posted links etc on other facebook groups like PW walkers etc without issue.I was shocked to recieve an arrogent and rude message from the admin, a lady who multi admins a few long distance path facebook groups.Basically she accused me of over posting about my walk, even though many others make far more posts than I did. A group on the route at the time had posted 8 times before they were even halfway. My first reaction was to appologise, but thinking and reading her message several times over the following few days had me unable to not message her with my honest thoughts about what she said.She told me not to keep reverting to my walk ( something I hadn't done since finishing and to stick with encouraging others going at the 'usual' rate.Clearly she had an issue with the speed of my walk, even though members posts showed that the interest was there.She didn't like my honest but to the point reply so blocked me.My friend, another member messaged her to ccomplain and ask why I had been blocked, she replied that my response was inapropiatte. I had pointed out that in all her objections, the facts were wrong, accusing me of finally comparing with other routes, something I hadn't done. it was clear that she didn't like the fact that I  was doing the route in so short a time and had been monitoring  the posts, although obviosly not reading through them, well enough.She blocked my friend too!Clearly doesn't want other members knowing, so shutting us off very quickly.She made a final message to my friend saying that she didn't believe that the group founder wanted it to be an endurance forum!Well that has never happenned to other walking groups that allow all forms and ways of doing the routes and allowing members to post about their experiences.I posted about this to an ultra race group, the response was one of disbelief to distgust.Although I heartily think she is over reacting and actually quite wrong in keeping such things from the group, if she had just messaged me giving her reasons for not wanting people posting re fast paced crossings, I would have reluctantly accepted that, but the manner of her message was unacceptable and I told her.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #91 on: 18:20:07, 19/09/18 »
As one gets older you find that there is always someone out there trying to stop other people from achieving and/or enjoying themselves.

I could not walk the C2C in 5 days but I admire people who want to try.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: 18:44:00, 19/09/18 »
Well that’s just ridiculous! Maybe she could also ban people who want to walk it in 20 days because they’re too slow!  ;D  Many people join those forums and groups not just because they want advice, but also it’s good to know of others that might be walking at the same time as them. Wouldn’t it be boring if we were all walking at the same speed? When we did it (15 days) it was great to meet different people each night, some moving faster than us, some slower. And don’t we change as we get older? We got faster doing our LDWs as we became more experienced but now I’m probably slowing up a bit as I’m getting older ( though I wasn’t young when I started!) Maybe she should rename the group “Slow-going C2C”

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: 18:45:44, 19/09/18 »
It just sounds to me like a bit of jealousy on her part.

One good thing I like about this forum is the mix, there are no slow or fast walkers.....just walkers. I read your post and like many on here followed your progress and because I've done the walk 3 times before I could picture where you were and the good or bad bits ahead for you.

When I was reading the progress it did made me wonder if I could do the same thing, and maybe I'll give it a try one day (or 5) so you inspire people, not the opposite and that can't be a bad thing.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: 18:56:59, 19/09/18 »
Her loss our gain, as posted at least here we encourage all walkers, even those who bang on at times about nothing to do with the thread  ;)

You've long been supported here Dave and I can't see that changing  O0
Where there's a will ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #95 on: 22:05:26, 19/09/18 »
What a shame, the facebook page is poorer without you on it slogger. We were all glued to your dot moving from west to east, full of awe and admiration of your amazing achievement  O0 I could not to what you did in 15 days never mind 5.  Echoing bricam, you have inspired a lot of people to try a LDW  O0
Hate will never win

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #96 on: 23:47:54, 19/09/18 »
 Perhaps you need to send her a copy of Harry Griffin's Long Days in the Hills.It might help to educate her and make her realise that walkers have always taken on these type of challenges.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #97 on: 08:02:00, 20/09/18 »
Isn’t one of the joys of walking that anyone can do it? We can take it to the extreme like Slogger or just have a stroll in the park, or anywhere in between! And I love reading about others exploits.

dav

« Reply #98 on: 11:02:57, 21/09/18 »
It's surprising, the narrow mindedness of some people isn't it. I've never said or believed that the way I do my walks is better than the way anyone else does theirs, and along the way I only mention what I'm what I'm doing if asked. In fact I hesitate to tell due to some strange reactions in the past.Along the forest track in Ennerdale I rapidly caught up with a very slow, petite larger lady. She had come over from the States with her husband to do the route over 21 days. Her husband being a faster walker had forged on ahead as he does every day, leaving her to go at her own pace. He was waiting for her at black Sail hut where they were staying the night. I admired the fact that even though her pace was slow and it would take 3 weeks for them to reach RHB, she was out there doing it and clearly enjoying herself.Then there was the small cafe owner in Gunnerside, he didn't call me mad as others often do, but insisted that the way i was doing was all wrong. "You should amble along through the countryside, if you want to go on a route march, you should do that around town".I didn't argue there would be no point, I just left to his own tiny mind.

One F

« Reply #99 on: 13:14:28, 21/09/18 »

so you inspire people, not the opposite and that can't be a bad thing.

Agree with that as Sloggers exploits have inspired me to push the boundaries a little, as have the exploits of others on the Forum. Love to read about people's adventures whatever speed they go about them, but as I push on past 70 am very mindful that there are a lot of challenges out there which I may be capable of - won't know of course unless I give them a go and being inspired by others boosts the confidence to at least get to the starting line.

dav

« Reply #100 on: 11:23:05, 23/09/18 »
Update. Guess what after contacting the groups American founder and sending him copies of all messages between myself and his UK admin, he has overulred her decision and invited me to re-join, saying that he will reconsider my pal Mikes unblocking if i remind him in a few weeks. I replied that as Mike supported me, I don't feel i could rejoin while he is unable to do so.Of course i don't know that I would re-join anyway, but now feel that, that admin may at least think twice before making ridiculous hasty decisions in the future.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #101 on: 11:31:30, 23/09/18 »
Update. Guess what after contacting the groups American founder and sending him copies of all messages between myself and his UK admin, he has overulred her decision and invited me to re-join, saying that he will reconsider my pal Mikes unblocking if i remind him in a few weeks. I replied that as Mike supported me, I don't feel i could rejoin while he is unable to do so.Of course i don't know that I would re-join anyway, but now feel that, that admin may at least think twice before making ridiculous hasty decisions in the future.
Is it really worth the effort? At the end of the day its only a Facebook page and you were doing ultra distance runs and walks long before the net,let alone Facebook, even existed.These forums and net pages have a purpose in allowing people with similar interests to communicate with each other but also allow those with issues to use them for an off loading purpose.
« Last Edit: 11:47:08, 23/09/18 by tonyk »

dav

« Reply #102 on: 17:02:58, 23/09/18 »
If it was any effort Tony, I wouldn't bother, but it isn't. As you say it's only a facebook group, but I felt that the admkin was out of order and out of touch with the wishes of the rest of members. There is another similar group re the C2C who encourage posts from every type and method of making the crossing.

Doddy

« Reply #103 on: 15:04:50, 02/10/18 »

Well Done Slogger.
 I`d be interested to know how/where the walking in the dark with a headlamp went. My excursions with that have been by mistake and in woodland and every tree tump looked like a bear (US). I have done the C-C.
How did you navigate at night.Was in moonlit.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #104 on: 14:04:37, 03/10/18 »
I posted a link to my tracker in a facebook C2C group before I did my walk. On finishing I saw that there was much support and interest from members. I made a total of 8 postd about my walk from starting, along the way and after finishing, plus two other postd about the low level route and a link to the northern Traverse ultra. I have posted links etc on other facebook groups like PW walkers etc without issue.I was shocked to recieve an arrogent and rude message from the admin, a lady who multi admins a few long distance path facebook groups.Basically she accused me of over posting about my walk, even though many others make far more posts than I did. A group on the route at the time had posted 8 times before they were even halfway. My first reaction was to appologise, but thinking and reading her message several times over the following few days had me unable to not message her with my honest thoughts about what she said.She told me not to keep reverting to my walk ( something I hadn't done since finishing and to stick with encouraging others going at the 'usual' rate.Clearly she had an issue with the speed of my walk, even though members posts showed that the interest was there.She didn't like my honest but to the point reply so blocked me.My friend, another member messaged her to ccomplain and ask why I had been blocked, she replied that my response was inapropiatte. I had pointed out that in all her objections, the facts were wrong, accusing me of finally comparing with other routes, something I hadn't done. it was clear that she didn't like the fact that I  was doing the route in so short a time and had been monitoring  the posts, although obviosly not reading through them, well enough.She blocked my friend too!Clearly doesn't want other members knowing, so shutting us off very quickly.She made a final message to my friend saying that she didn't believe that the group founder wanted it to be an endurance forum!Well that has never happenned to other walking groups that allow all forms and ways of doing the routes and allowing members to post about their experiences.I posted about this to an ultra race group, the response was one of disbelief to distgust.Although I heartily think she is over reacting and actually quite wrong in keeping such things from the group, if she had just messaged me giving her reasons for not wanting people posting re fast paced crossings, I would have reluctantly accepted that, but the manner of her message was unacceptable and I told her.

There are too many parochial [censored] like this who seem to be 'lord of their domain' and police it for no good reason.  I for one enjoy your posts, find many of them inspirational and whilst the idea of running very long distances may not be for me, it's hard to understand why reading about others' experience is a bad thing.

All of these overbearing, fragile minded control freaks who decree what is 'inappropriate' based entirely on their mood that day can [censored] off as far as I'm concerned. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy