Author Topic: Greetings, and seeking suggestions  (Read 1033 times)

MapsAreCool

Greetings, and seeking suggestions
« on: 04:59:52, 28/01/18 »

Greetings! My wife and I are from the US and have done some traveling in England and Scotland, but wanted to do something different.  We walked for a week on the Cotswold Way in May of last year and agreed it was the best vacation we have ever taken, and we have lots to compare it to.  The highlights for us were the spectacular pastoral landscapes, the enormous trees, and the ease of walking into and out of villages - countryside would blend into town, and just afterward it would blend back.

What other trails or itineraries would you recommend that highlight the sort of tamed natural beauty that the Cotswolds offer?  I've been looking into Glyndwr's way and the area around the Shropshire AONB.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Greetings, and seeking suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 08:53:39, 28/01/18 »
I walked the Glyndwrs War last year, its not as cosy as the Cotswold Way, much fewer hikers en route as well. The landscape is rolling hills, small fields and moorland as well. The villages are further apart and the population is well spread out as well. It took me 9 days, starting at Knighton, which I liked a lot, the pubs I mean. Towards the Welsh coast are some very nice little towns, which in 'feel' seem to have a kind of 20th century air about them. In short a very open country walk with a few villages in between.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:09:45, 28/01/18 »
If you want a short LDP through part of the South Shropshire AONB Wild Edric's Way may suit your purpose. It is used by a company called Contour Holidays, who organise 4 or 5 night stops along it, or did a few years ago. Starts in Church Stretton and finishes in Ludlow. I have not done the actual route but lived in the area and have walked Shropshire all my life. The headless ghost of wild Edric is suppose to ride the moors (it is said only as a portend for world wide disasters), though a few regulars at the Stiperstones Inn have used him as an excuse for putting their cars through a hedge, though WW3 hasn't broken out in the last 30 years.

If you were to choose it, there are probably a couple of little tweaks that could improve it.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:06:40, 28/01/18 »
What other trails or itineraries would you recommend that highlight the sort of tamed natural beauty that the Cotswolds offer?  I've been looking into Glyndwr's way and the area around the Shropshire AONB.

Would you consider somewhere outside those areas?  If so, what about the South Downs Way?  It offers beautiful pastoral landscapes of rolling hills, river valleys, spectacular coastal cliffs, picturesque villages and panoramic views.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:29:22, 28/01/18 »
If you are considering the Glyndyrs Way you might like the idea of Offas Dyke Path? It starts at Chepstow in South Wales and it walks north to Knighton, (where the Glydrs Way starts) to Welshpool (where the Glyndrs Way finishes) and then on to Prestatyn. The best place to compare and contrast a variety of trails,I think, is to to log onto www.nationaltrail.co.uk. The Cotswold Way, Glyndrs Way and all the other national trails are there to mull over.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:49:19, 28/01/18 »
I forgot to mention another site which you may find useful, www.gps-routes.co.uk. A whole range of routes identified all over the country.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:12:46, 28/01/18 »
Welcome.
The Wessex Ridgeway is a lovely rural walk of 127 miles from Marlborough in Wiltshire to Lyme Regis on the Dorset coast. Much of the way is on higher ground with great views, mostly open downland adn fields with some woodland, lots of prehistoric sites and lovely villages with excellent pubs/accommodation.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

MapsAreCool

« Reply #7 on: 17:18:40, 29/01/18 »

Thanks for the suggestions, folks!  I will do some more research on several of the trails that you mentioned.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy