Author Topic: Backpack - Mistake?  (Read 3275 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Backpack - Mistake?
« Reply #45 on: 11:30:08, 02/02/20 »
I'm impressed.  I'll be carrying around 12kgs on my C2C in March, in a 45L sac, to cope with 12 days on the route, but without any camping gear, so how you get down to 8 to 10kgs with camping gear I have no idea, especially using a 75L sac, must be plenty of room to spare  :)

This is how I've done it: over the last few years I've been through my gear list (which you can find on my website, and there's also a page headed reducing pack weight) again and again, looking hard at each item one by one, and I kept searching online to see if I could find a lighter alternative, within my budget of course.
It's something retired people have the time to do, but I'd also get my laptop out and do it while my wife was watching a boring programme on the television (which was quite often, lol).
There isn't as much room in my pack as you might think, but while some things are bulky they aren't heavy!
I have now reached the point where I can not make any more gains at all, without spending hundreds of pounds which I don't have on lighter tent, ground mat and sleeping bag.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 11:42:05, 02/02/20 »
Food for thought, must say I tend to pack quite a few things 'just in case'. For example my main navigation aid is my GPS. My phone is a backup but I also carry a spare phone as a backup to that.  Never had to use it mind, but sods law says if I don't take it I'll need it  ;D
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 11:49:51, 02/02/20 »

I have now reached the point where I can not make any more gains at all, without spending hundreds of pounds which I don't have on lighter tent, ground mat and sleeping bag.

I have actually gone down the reduce weight programme, which has in some cases be at the expense of comfort and usability and I am now going back the other way.

For example my 'mat' has gone from an 'air mattress' (weighing 460 grams) to a down filled 'Exped' air mat (weighing 908 grams) and my tent (complete package) has gone from 1.64 kgs to 2.2kgs

Comfort and space are becoming more important that being a 'gram counter'.
As long as I am comfortable carrying the weight I'll keep going.

My 'full' pack (3 days food, clothes, 2 litres water, water filtering, cooking equipment, 1st Aid kit, etc etc and my 'electronic toys' and 'just in case stuff') weighs 14kgs

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 12:00:08, 02/02/20 »
Could the problem with the Berghaus pack banging back of head referred to in the OP have simply been that the top* straps were pulled tight for shipping/display?
* The ones many packs have from lid to top of shoulders that allow you to adjust the pack to be upright.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 12:47:05, 02/02/20 »
My back up is my Pebbell alarm, I've never had to use it yet. I considered buying a GPS once but never did.

watershed

« Reply #50 on: 14:08:59, 02/02/20 »
from the Photo on your link it looks a very good buy at that price.
The only worry may be the weight. I didn't see any reference to it.
I have an old Blacks rucksack that looks similar. I use it for practice walks now when I just want to get miles in the hill, carrying weight, to prepare me for a multi day camp/hike. Also used for carrying errands home from supermarket.
For the actual trip I use an Osprey EXOS 58L, which saves about 4lb weight. This is the slightly older model that had pockets in the hip belt. one of the complaints that used to be levelled at them was the short hip belts.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 16:45:12, 02/02/20 »
Comfort and space are becoming more important that being a 'gram counter'.
As long as I am comfortable carrying the weight I'll keep going.

There lies the conundrum, as you get older and older you want to carry less and less weight!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 16:55:22, 02/02/20 »
There lies the conundrum, as you get older and older you want to carry less and less weight!
O0
Too little, too late, too bad......

Little Foot

« Reply #53 on: 17:35:47, 02/02/20 »
from the Photo on your link it looks a very good buy at that price.
The only worry may be the weight. I didn't see any reference to it.
I have an old Blacks rucksack that looks similar. I use it for practice walks now when I just want to get miles in the hill, carrying weight, to prepare me for a multi day camp/hike. Also used for carrying errands home from supermarket.
For the actual trip I use an Osprey EXOS 58L, which saves about 4lb weight. This is the slightly older model that had pockets in the hip belt. one of the complaints that used to be levelled at them was the short hip belts.

I went into Black again, and they had the Technicals one that I linked to down to £28 when it was £40 a few days before (originally £70). I tried on the Berghaus one again, with help from an assistant who adjusted it, and it didn't hit my head.

I'm just waiting on the Osprey Kestrel 58 to arrive now. Can't believe I have got it for £60! Hopefully they won't cancel it lol

MudMagnet

« Reply #54 on: 11:11:17, 03/02/20 »
Kestrel 58 for £60, bargain.  Even if it's not right, put it on e-bay, you'll probably make money on it.

A +1 for the Exos 48 as well.  Love mine, but I also have the montane Grand Tour 70L for hammock camping which is a beast of a pack.  They also do a 50L version which may well be worth a look.
Good luck and enjoy the kit shopping :)  its half the fun for me.

Little Foot

« Reply #55 on: 07:40:49, 04/02/20 »
Haha you are right there. Am enjoying hunting for kit, although my bank balance isn't. Collect my bag today, so super excited for that!

Edit - collected my Osprey rucksack today. It looks great. I contacted Osprey right away about the hip webbing, and they are sorting out ones straight away. Can't fault their service on that.
« Last Edit: 17:19:54, 04/02/20 by Little Foot »

Lee R

« Reply #56 on: 21:53:46, 04/02/20 »
Haha you are right there. Am enjoying hunting for kit, although my bank balance isn't. Collect my bag today, so super excited for that!

Edit - collected my Osprey rucksack today. It looks great. I contacted Osprey right away about the hip webbing, and they are sorting out ones straight away. Can't fault their service on that.

I think you need to register the pack/details on their website for the lifetime warranty  O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 22:11:52, 04/02/20 »
No idea about Osprey, but not a requirement for Lowe Alpine  O0
Where there's a will ...

Little Foot

« Reply #58 on: 22:52:23, 04/02/20 »

I think you need to register the pack/details on their website for the lifetime warranty  O0

I contacted them about changing the webbing before I registered the product, so they were going to send out the spare parts before I registered it. I did register soon after they emailed though as figured it can't hurt.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy