Author Topic: A hiking week in Gran Canaria  (Read 5062 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
Re: A hiking week in Gran Canaria
« Reply #15 on: 17:02:50, 16/02/19 »
A very interesting trip report, GWM - I really enjoyed that. Another place for the list!  :)

One F

« Reply #16 on: 12:57:20, 09/03/19 »
Enjoyed reading the TR and seeing the pics. I was there a couple of weeks after your visit, sadly no walking as my left knee (medial collateral ligament problem) was a little unstable. Anyway, here's a photo of Cruz de Tejeda on a very hot Sunday afternoon - reminded me of Settle on a Bank Holiday weekend :-)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:43:23, 09/03/19 »
I sat for a while where the man in the hat is sitting. On the day I was there I was lucky, saw no more than about 6 people, about two cars passed and didn't see a motor bike at all. Nice place to sit and watch the world go by, have a beer or a meal, mooch along a row of little huts selling this and that and even having a snooze!

On my hikes motor bikers make me go Mmmm??? Especially on hot days when they stop in there full leather outfits. Mmmmm??? The panic to get them off before they steam is highly amusing!I used to commute back and forth to work by motorbike over a four year period, all year and in all weathers! I couldn't bear the thought of owning one for leisure and pleasure. What is the point?

dank86

« Reply #18 on: 22:24:34, 09/05/19 »
wow, looks like it was a great trip!

think im going to have to add GC on to my list of places to visit

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:09:07, 10/05/19 »
How did I miss this thread when it was started in February?
I have two opposite experiences of hiking in Gran Canaria.
One was of getting a bus to Palmitos Park, the zoo for the tourists to visit, from where I set off on a long circular route. It was nothing but bone dry ground, sand and dust, there were a few arid vistas but a major part of it was walking down a dry valley, I think they were called barrancas, where as I progressed huge dark lizards dropped out of bushes with startling crashes onto the dry leaves on the ground. Like Reg, I was glad of a few beers at the end of it, partly to wet my throat and partly to steady my nerves!
My next walk was intended to be in the green of the mountains, for which I boarded a bus in sunshine for the long ride. Now, they only get about three days rain a year on the island (well, that's what I was told) and that's what it chose to do that day. All I saw was thick black clouds, wetness and dense ragged mist through which there were brief glimpses of hillsides and little white villages. I didn't have any waterproofs of course, apart from which route finding would have been out of the question in those conditions. The bus dropped me off at a folorn and deserted village square, where I mooched about in the rain for a bit before catching the next bus back down to the sunlit coast.
« Last Edit: 09:15:45, 10/05/19 by fernman »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:42:20, 10/05/19 »
I obviously missed the zoo area. I had a short period of rain blobs on me but for two days it was windy and bitterly cold, the rest of my time was in hot sunshine. I too walked through some very dry areas, other areas covered in pine needles which can be very slippery if having to walk on them up and down on steep tracks. I walked through some very green areas as well.

I felt really lucky that I found the south to north route that I took. I discovered a couple of articles about it on the internet and found the actual mapped routes on my Wikiloc phone app.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy