Author Topic: Daypack advice required  (Read 3048 times)

Man wae a dug

Re: Daypack advice required
« Reply #30 on: 20:19:02, 18/09/19 »
Well, I'm more confused now than when I started! lol 

Nah, only joking, the advice has given me a lot to mull over today and after weighing up the options think I'll go for a daysack strictly for walking for now and then I'll get one for all my camping needs (whether it be one night camp or the planned seven nights WHW). Otherwise I reckon I could possibly get caught betwixt and between.
I've taken advice on board and narrowed it down to a couple of the Osprey ones (Talon 33 and Stratos 34) and Lowe air zone trail 35. They should be more than capable of comfortably carrying maps, glasses, phone, my waterproofs, food and drink for both as well as a wee towel for my doggie.

I'm in town tomorrow and will try to nip into Blacks early doors and check if they have a 'nae dugs!' policy when confronted with a gullible bloke they can fleece for a few quid. Hopefully they don't and they'll have the ones I'm interested in. :)

Again, thanks for all your input, it was appreciated..........now about this mid layer malarkey.... ;)
Be ye man or bairn or wumman
Be ye gaun or be ye comin
For Scotlands pride no Scotlands shame
Gether yer litter and tak it hame!

Man wae a dug

« Reply #31 on: 19:05:46, 19/09/19 »
Popped into Blacks and tried out the Osprey Talon 33 L.  Very, very comfortable and I was sorely tempted to buy it.  I also tried on the Lowe Air Zone Pro 35:45 as well and it was also very comfortable (probably a 9.5/10 as opposed to Ospreys 10/10 comfy rating).

After having a good rummage around both and chatting with the (very helpful) assistant I reckoned I probably could cram enough kit into the Lowe (when expanded) for an overnight camp and cinched down it was more or less the same size as the Osprey anyway.
Ok, I might need to strap something to the outside, but for a short trip I'm fine with that. The trampoline mesh thingy helped sway me too (I know I'll sweat regardless but I'll take any assistance I can get to lessen this) and the webbing on the front will come in very handy too.
Very happy with the bag and all your advice.

The added bonus is that the pack is black with orange so it matches my boots and hiking (dog walking) trousers and the built in rain cover matches my jacket. lol Result! :)

But by god that Osprey pack was unbelievably comfy.
Be ye man or bairn or wumman
Be ye gaun or be ye comin
For Scotlands pride no Scotlands shame
Gether yer litter and tak it hame!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 21:58:57, 19/09/19 »
You won't regret it, I love my LA 35:45L  O0
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 21:04:03, 25/09/19 »
Another here who has a LA 35_45.  God choice.

Especially if it's colour coordinated with your other kit.  ;) LoL. 

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 22:13:51, 25/09/19 »
Mine's black  ;)
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 22:35:10, 26/09/19 »
turquoise for me, matches.......Errr...... nothing else I have.  ;D

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 23:28:00, 26/09/19 »
There is not much difference in the weight of rucksacks of whatever size (within reason). It's what you put in them!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 16:33:07, 27/09/19 »
There is not much difference in the weight of rucksacks of whatever size (within reason). It's what you put in them!
Horses for courses.  I borrowed my wife's day sack for both training and the event, when I took part in the Dartmoor Highground marathon.  It's is a 10ltr sack which was all I needed for a cool summers day.  With water provided every 5-8 miles. It is both lighter and sits higher on my back than my day sack meaning I could travel more quickly and comfortably accross the ground.

I have also taken my old 65ltr sack out on day walks a few times in the winter.  As I carry everything and the kitchen sink when out on Dartmoor on my own in winter.   Means I can actually stop and enjoy the view from Fur tor for a few hours in freezing conditions, without freezing.  O0
« Last Edit: 16:37:22, 27/09/19 by BuzyG »

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 17:15:25, 27/09/19 »
This should be worth a read for anyone still looking for something a bit smaller around 20 Litres.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/rucksacks/small/day_packs_around_20_litres-11865

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 22:42:17, 27/09/19 »
That was a good read.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy