Author Topic: A real trig-bagger's challenge!  (Read 2268 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
A real trig-bagger's challenge!
« on: 14:47:45, 07/03/20 »
I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a trig-bagger, although I do like getting to them and taking a photo or two, and I doubt that I'm alone in taking pleasure in that.

While studying my local area (Whitstable) on the OS map, I noticed a trig point in the middle of a housing estate at TR 10125 64970. It was at an impressive elevation of just over 57m. So this morning, my wife and I set off to bag it!  8)

I'd found some information about the trig pillar in question on the excellent trigpointing.uk website and so I knew it was in the corner of a garden and rather overgrown. We wondered if this might be the place...

...but it was the wrong house. Turning the corner into Martindown Road, we saw number 5, which I remembered was the correct property. But sadly there was no chance of exploring the back garden.  :(

This particular trig pillar is quite special, being the only one in the whole of Kent that's in someone's garden. It would have been nice to have seen it, but I'm not comfortable with knocking on the door and asking if we can take a look in their garden, although I know lots of people do just that.

I was wondering... have others here been to any special lengths to bag trig pillars, especially given that many are on private property and difficult to get to?
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
Re: A real trig-bagger's challenge!
« Reply #1 on: 15:43:40, 07/03/20 »
Somewhere, in my vast collection of photographs, I have a picture of the tide gauge at Newlyn.  Your trig point is 57m higher.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:35:09, 07/03/20 »
I'd be dead worried with someone peering through my fence like that, you're lucky a big bloke didn't come out and give you a fat lip! Could you get someone with a drone to take a peek? Maybe invite Beefy down for a weekend's holiday by the sea! And have you looked on Google Earth?

Last year when I was descending from the Arenigs towards civilisation, a walker caught up with me, he was the first person I had seen for three and a half days, and I learned that he had almost completed visiting every trig point in the whole of Wales, with three added that day and the last three to bag the following day. What an achievement.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:59:47, 07/03/20 »

Last year when I was descending from the Arenigs towards civilisation, a walker caught up with me, he was the first person I had seen for three and a half days, and I learned that he had almost completed visiting every trig point in the whole of Wales, with three added that day and the last three to bag the following day. What an achievement.

Now there's an insentive to keep going.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:17:33, 07/03/20 »
No, not what it is all about to me. Climbed Kentmere Pike recently, and didn't bother going to the trig point.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:59:48, 08/03/20 »
Trig points can be very useful excuses for being where you are deemed not supposed to be. Not that many people are so sure of their purpose, origination or access rights, not to be side tracked by a bit of blarney. Very useful one near Hodnet, Shropshire in an area of 8000 acres without a right of way.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:38:09, 08/03/20 »
When I looked at TR 10125 64970 on https://gridreferencefinder.com/ it seems to be in the garden of the house next door although when I relooked it appeared to be in the kitchen!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:07:22, 08/03/20 »
The OS app puts it in the SE corner of the garden
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:33:27, 08/03/20 »
I'm very impressed by all the research. Thanks!  O0

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:25:55, 08/03/20 »
No, not what it is all about to me. Climbed Kentmere Pike recently, and didn't bother going to the trig point.
Wrong side of the wall!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:27:38, 08/03/20 »
The OS app puts it in the SE corner of the garden

I assume it never had a ROW to it?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:40:58, 08/03/20 »
And I think WhitsableDave has got the wrong house.  By reckoning it is in the garden of the house to the right of No5.  Look at the roof shape and the chimney position of No5 and compare it with the aerial shot.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:01:20, 08/03/20 »
And I think WhitsableDave has got the wrong house.  By reckoning it is in the garden of the house to the right of No5.  Look at the roof shape and the chimney position of No5 and compare it with the aerial shot.

Ah, but WhitstableDave got his information from http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4534 where comments suggest it's in the SW corner of the garden of No.5. For example...

"Pillar resides in the rear garden of #5 Martindown Rd. No-one in when I called. Knocked on #3 who happily let me into her rear garden and climb onto the trampoline to view the pillar in her neighbour's garden..."

:)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:07:06, 08/03/20 »
I try to appear casual over where the exact highest point is but, if it is a hill I've not climbed before, I will definitely happen to just casually walk past the trig point and touch it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:33:27, 08/03/20 »
Ah, but WhitstableDave got his information from http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4534 where comments suggest it's in the SW corner of the garden of No.5. For example...

"Pillar resides in the rear garden of #5 Martindown Rd. No-one in when I called. Knocked on #3 who happily let me into her rear garden and climb onto the trampoline to view the pillar in her neighbour's garden..."

:)
I knew I couldn't trust the OS to show the right place!  Trig bagging is a sad enough occupation without disturbing other people.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy