Author Topic: Handheld GPS devices  (Read 5409 times)

juant

Handheld GPS devices
« on: 22:00:31, 18/04/18 »
Unfortunately I am not very well up on technology but despite this I am looking to invest in a GPS device which will enable me to track the routes of walks I am undertaking and also plan routes for future routes. Initial research suggests there are a large number out there so am wondering whether anyone could recommend one which will serve this purpose for a relative newcomer.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

JT

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Handheld GPS devices
« Reply #1 on: 22:04:07, 18/04/18 »
If you have a smartphone just get viewranger it will do all you want.

Chris954

« Reply #2 on: 22:19:33, 18/04/18 »
If you have a smartphone just get viewranger it will do all you want.

until your in an area with no phone signal.

Garmin GPSMAP64s not cheap but you get what you pay for.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:23:43, 18/04/18 »
While I prefer my GPS  to viewranger the latter will work perfectly well without a phone signal  :) .

It will track your route but for planning you'll need to use either a specific program or a web site as planning routes on either a GPS or viewranger isn't easy unless they are very simple ones.
« Last Edit: 22:26:51, 18/04/18 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:40:49, 18/04/18 »
I got a old model Garmin GPS via ebay. Am thinking of upgrading soon to a more modern one as I think I now know how to use it.

I also use viewranger and got a really cheap large screen smartphone. I also use that. No need for phone signals, same as the Garmin just needs satellite fix which most smartphones are now capable of.
What with my compass, I take the belt, braces and binder twine approach to navigation
Sussamb , amongst others, is someone who I read avidly when it comes to GPS. I have learned so much from his advice n this forum. There are others as well. If you are tempted then use the custom search box at the head of the page for years of accumulated  knowledge (and banter)
Too little, too late, too bad......

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:40:54, 18/04/18 »

A fairly inexpensive entry to a walking GPS is a
SatMap Active 10
Chosen by 40+ UK rescue teams so must be 'reasonable'.

http://cdn.satmap.com.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/A10%20leaflet%20english.pdf

Many available on ebay and reach about £70, with some buy it now at £100 The 'cards' they come with make a big difference in price.

Mine (£70 second hand, about £300 new) came with full GB 1:50,000 Ordnance Survey mapping, ( which is the scale I use on the 'paper maps')
I have subsequently purchased a separate 'card' with 'South UK (Liverpool across to Hull and all points South) at a scale of 1:25,000 and 1:10,000 and the difference is amazing.

Simple to use with big buttons operable with gloves on.
Battery lasts 15 hours and in an emergency can be run on 3x AA batteries.

After 50+ years of paper maps and compass I found the whole GPS thing a minefield with so many brands and models, most of which need additional mapping (extra ££££££s) The SatMap Active is really usable straight from the box.

You can plan routes and save them, save routes you have done to memory, do 'reverse' so if lost press 'reverse' and it takes you back the way to came.
You can download routes from the internet and SatMap website.

Screen size is (to me) important and the Garmin Etrex family all seemed too small. I would have liked a bigger screen than the SatMap 10 but everything is a compromise.
The Garmin Etrex has a 2" screen, the Satmap 10 has a 3.5" screen

Here is an example on ebay which has the 1:50,000 OS mapping
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112940786402?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

WHATEVER YOU DECIDE TO BUY - CHECK OUT WHAT MAP SOFTWARE IT COMES WITH, HOW 'USABLE' IS IT AND THE COST OF BUYING 'USABLE' MAPS.

Some of the GPS systems come with 'open street map'  which is a fairly poor standard of mapping with all sorts of problems for walker, with footpaths not shown or disappearing part way along, or showing footpaths where non exist. The system only becomes 'usable' with the purchase of additional mapping.
Do some research and don't rush in.
« Last Edit: 23:08:02, 18/04/18 by alan de enfield »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:46:38, 18/04/18 »

I decided not to use the phone for a couple of reasons :

1) If I fall and land on it, break it, or drop it off a mountain then I have lost both my navigation and ability to contact help.
2) GPS tends to be a big drain on a phone battery, if the battery goes flat navigating then I have lost both my navigation and means to contact help.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:05:03, 18/04/18 »
Quote from Alan de Enfield
I decided not to use the phone for a couple of reasons :

1) can be solved using a decent case and a lanyard.
2) I never noticed the battery usage to be heavy at all.

However  it is important that you ensure ALL unrequired apps are stopped and I normally put it in a power save mode.
I had a bad experience on an easy walk recently when my battery did run out and I did not have my Garmin. I was absolutely safe but that gave me a wake up call to check electronic gear carefully before setting off. I also normally carry a battery cell pack with a solar charger which has been useful on long multiday walks.
« Last Edit: 23:09:22, 18/04/18 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

juant

« Reply #8 on: 23:46:19, 18/04/18 »
Many thanks to you all for your very interesting and informative responses to my posting.

I do have a smartphone so am tempted to try viewranger first to see if that meets my requirements. If however I find that I need an alternative device I will carry out some more research and explore the other ones you have suggested.

Ozymandiac

« Reply #9 on: 08:15:52, 19/04/18 »
We also use a smartphone for GPS. It's an android application called Locus Map. It allows you to download maps for offline use, import routes, and show your position [all at the same time of course].

The battery use is all right if you can resist looking at it: apparently it's the screen that's using most of the energy, not the GPS processes.
« Last Edit: 08:43:39, 19/04/18 by Ozymandiac »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:22:42, 19/04/18 »

The battery use is all right if you can resist looking at it: apparently it's the screen that's using most of the energy, not the GPS processes.

That's handy - its ok to use as long as you don't look at it !

::)

Ozymandiac

« Reply #11 on: 08:47:25, 19/04/18 »

That's handy - its ok to use as long as you don't look at it !

::)

You've got it  ;)

Nah, what I meant was this. There are two types of navigators. Those that look at the GPS at every crossroads and several times in between to check; and those that look at the GPS when both the paper map AND the trail markings aren't perfectly clear.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:03:48, 19/04/18 »
... and those that look at the GPS when both the paper map AND the trail markings aren't perfectly clear.

That's one reason why I use my Garmin GPS as my primary nav aid with ViewRanger on my phone as back up, I no longer carry paper maps  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:39:04, 19/04/18 »
Apart from the above I have found 2 other disadvantages of using a smartphone. My phone is secured by a PIN which is a PITA to unlock each time I want to navigate. I know I can disable it but I prefer my phone secured if it falls into the wrong hands. Secondly the map screen is really hard to see in bright light.
OTOH, my gps unit, comes with a clip to keep it on my pack for rapid access, is always on, can be read easily bright light and battery life is not an issue. Moreover it is easier to  use as it relies on buttons rather than podgy cold fingers to operate it.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:42:57, 19/04/18 »
Exactly the same for me, less the PIN issue  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy