Author Topic: Nordisk Svalbard SI 4 season one man tent  (Read 3866 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Nordisk Svalbard SI 4 season one man tent
« on: 08:54:18, 07/06/19 »

My latest object of desire. £212 for a bomb proof 1 man tent only weighing 1.7kg. What's not to like?

https://www.ldmountaincentre.com/camping-c13/tents-c93/1-person-tents-c173/nordisk-svalbard-1-si-p9447
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Nordisk Svalbard SI 4 season one man tent
« Reply #1 on: 09:59:40, 07/06/19 »
Looks good but not for me I'm afraid, as I get older I can only cope with side entrance tents, not as flexible as I used to be, I need to 'roll in, roll out' if I can.

My problem is that I too would like a change of tent, but my Marmot Pulsar 1 (no longer made) still spoils me in that for one person the inside living area is large, plus I have a 14" horizontal zip that allows me to store items on the no-door side of the tent (for my hiking sticks, Uriwell and if I carried cooking stuff, ideal for the storage of these items) and in the mornings I can sit up and move back and forth for about 12" before my head touches the fabric, plus the sides are almost vertical which makes for plenty of 'elbow room.' Easily allows me to get dressed inside my tent and when it's raining I can even organize and pack my rucksack inside the tent as well. The entrance area is also big enough to store my rucksack, in the dry overnight.

I've looked for is similar spec tent but it must be lighter, but I haven't found one yet! I've found out that as I find something to like (e.g weight and space) I equally find something to dislike (e.g. weight and a poor entrance) so I just get hesitant and then fail to make a decision.

Patrick1

« Reply #2 on: 14:01:51, 07/06/19 »
Gunwharfman, its a rather different style of tent, but have you considered a Hexpeak V4? Lighter than your Pulsar 1 (about 1.35kg assuming you pitch with your walking poles), plenty of space (more floor area than the Pulsar)  and a huge vestibule (half the tent) with the one person inner, or you could sacrifice some vestibule for even more interior space with the two person inner. Its a good robust tent. I've got the Octopeak from the same range for camping with the family, which gives us standing headroom and accommodation for five at just a little over 3kg...
« Last Edit: 14:39:50, 07/06/19 by Patrick1 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:30:18, 07/06/19 »
Looks good but not for me I'm afraid, as I get older I can only cope with side entrance tents, not as flexible as I used to be, I need to 'roll in, roll out' if I can.

My problem is that I too would like a change of tent, but my Marmot Pulsar 1 ….

I am used to tunnel tents, and quite like the entrance at the front. Although I must confess that I have not tried a side entrance tent.

I've looked at Marmot tents, but they look rather draughty for my liking - a big gap around the bottom of the fly, and all that mesh! One thing that attracts me to the Svalbard is the ventilation control - I like to be able to seal up the inner reasonably tight in winter, but to have a full mesh door if I so desire, to keep the midges out on rainy summer evenings. Shame that not so many tents have a double mesh/solid inner door nowadays.

humansnail

« Reply #4 on: 19:39:00, 10/06/19 »
I've never seen that tent before - looks excellent to me! O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:55:14, 10/06/19 »
That's interesting, the Hexpeak seems to be the same as the Naturehike Pyramid Tent. So which one is the knock-off of which?

Patrick1

« Reply #6 on: 08:38:39, 11/06/19 »
They're the same type of tent, certainly, but the Naturehike one that comes up when I google it has a square base not a hexagonal one. Its significantly cheaper, but Luxe are a reasonably good quality tent maker and I was happy to pay the extra for security on a windy night.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:44:27, 11/06/19 »

The two are very different gwm. Look at the inner layout in particular.

But neither can really be classified as 4 season!
« Last Edit: 08:52:31, 11/06/19 by richardh1905 »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:38:09, 11/06/19 »

But neither can really be classified as 4 season!

There certainly seems to be a '5th Season' developing in the world of camping equipment.

It seems that to be 'Winter-proof' with snow skirts, poles of sufficient strength, etc etc you now need to buy the 5-season variant.

4-Season tents seem to be referred to when suitable for Spring, Summer, Autumn, (and low level snow-free) Winter.

I see the HexPeak has a 3.5 Season rating - wonder what that means ?

Patrick1

« Reply #9 on: 12:52:36, 11/06/19 »
Well, if you like the Hexpeak look / space its worth exploring the range available - there are quite a lot of variants of size, type of inner etc. There is, for example, a "winter" version with snow skirts, a solid inner and a stove jack at the cost of a small weight penalty, if that's what you're after.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:35:20, 11/06/19 »
I looked at the Hexpeak tents a while back but then realized I already had two perfectly good lightweight tents. I don't see why you couldn't use them in winter especially the fe6 version.

I understand that they are quite finicky when it comes to pegging them out and if you add up the full weight of all the various bits their not really that light.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:48:05, 11/06/19 »
Hmm, found this review of the fe6

"Used this last month in wales I was only there for 2 days I cut it short by 2 days .
why because everything inside the tent was wet  it was drizzle on and off and damp  but the first night  even my motorcycle boots are wet the whole of the inside of the sheet was very wet, and then the inner no matter what I did I could not keep the inner material off my face or head that was annoying, so I will not be using this tent much Ill stick to my HALLo 300"

The reply is interesting too, but I'll not repeat it here. https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF135.html

Not for me, anyway. Pricier and heavier than the Nordisk Svalbard SI, looks like a fiddle to put up, condensation issues, and pole not included!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:09:01, 11/06/19 »
One of the things that attracts me to the Svalbard is that it appears to be an 'All Season' tent - the ventilation control appears to be good enough to allow its use in the summer as well as in the winter. Not as light as some 3 season tents (and the occasional expensive 4 season), but hardly a heavyweight at 1.7kg. I'm really not going to fret over saving a few hundred grams if I can have a tent that I can use all year around.

Patrick1

« Reply #13 on: 16:38:45, 11/06/19 »
Richard, I think the Svalbard looks a great tent. My recommendation of the Hexpeak was never intended to suggest an alternative to your choice, it was purely aimed at Gunwharfman who said he was looking for a lighter more spacious alternative to his Marmot Pulsar, which I think it is. The Svalbard looks a very good price and weight for a robust four season tent with a compact footprint.

Having said that, and with no connection to Luxe other than being a happy customer, I do think the Hexpeak range are very good tents. The weight doesn't include poles because they're commonly pitched with walking poles, which most people are carrying anyway.  The shape gives unrivalled interior space for the weight, and sheds wind very readily. There's a range of sizes and interior configurations available. The winter model is, I think, a distraction - the snow skirts etc are inevitably going to increase warmth at the cost of ventilation. As a result its a tent designed for very cold, dry winter conditions - I'd imagine the type more often encountered in Scandinavia or the States than here. Certainly I'd think that pitching a tent like that in drizzly UK conditions and bringing wet gear inside is asking for condensation issues. I wouldn't buy one of these winter models for use in a UK winter, in general, but that shouldn't detract from the merits of the rest of the range.
« Last Edit: 16:42:32, 11/06/19 by Patrick1 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:32:02, 11/06/19 »

I would certainly be interested if I were looking for a light 3 season tent, Patrick, but I do intend doing a lot of solo winter wild camping (and spring, summer and autumn) when I complete my move from Orkney to the Southern Lakes later this year (if all goes to plan).

The Svalbard looks like a great all rounder to me, but I am in no hurry to buy, and am open to suggestions.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy