Author Topic: Climber Alan Hinkes will deliver anniversary Wainwright lecture  (Read 2563 times)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
Climber Alan Hinkes will deliver anniversary Wainwright lectureJohn McHale, Reporter
                                                Wednesday 22 August 2012 10:21 AM GMT
Last updated at Wednesday 22 August 2012 10:23 AM GMT http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/08/22/climber-alan-hinkes-will-deliver-anniversary-wainwright-lecture

walking-books

• Veteran Member
The 2012 Wainwright Memorial Lecture is to be held on Friday 9th November at 7 p.m.

The guest speaker will be Alan Hinkes OBE.

Tickets are priced at: £8 Society members £15 Non-members

Tickets can be purchased direct from Rheged. Tel: 01768 868000

Alan Hinkes is the first Briton to climb the world's highest mountains.  These are the fourteen 8000m peaks, all of which are in the 'death zone', where human survival rate is measured in hours. They are the most dangerous mountains on the planet. Alan is part of an exclusive club of only 12 people alive who have achieved this feat, which is the same number of people who have stood on the moon.  Many have perished attempting this challenge.

Alan began his mountaineering career whilst at Northallerton Grammar School, North Yorkshire.  He progressed to the Alps with ascents of many difficult mountains, including the notorious North Face of the Eiger, eventually graduating to the Himalaya.

Alan was awarded the OBE in the 2006 New Year's Honours.  He is an Honorary Citizen of his home town, Northallerton. He is involved in charitable work for Water Aid, the Cystic Fibrosis Trust, Duke of Edinburgh’s Award and Mountain Rescue. He works closely with the British Mountaineering Council.

Alan lives in North Yorkshire and enjoys being in the hills, rock climbing and fellwalking. You will regularly see him in the Lake District and Yorkshire tramping the fells and moors or clinging to a rock face.
Mike

www.walking-books.com
Books, guides and maps on Britain's best scenic walks

Come and have a chat on Twitter - walkingbookscom

guess who

• Veteran Member
Years ago i went to a walking shop in Harrogate to attend a speech by Alan Hinkes. It was fantastic.

I think i may go along to this.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
He 'supposedly' joined the forum once.....didn't last long though ::)  and Casio never did send me a watch ;)

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=9737.msg116397#msg116397

joester

• Veteran Member
I've seen Alan Hinkes lecture.
He's seemed obsessed with his [censored] and the act of urinating, mentioning both several times throughout.
solvitur ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy