Author Topic: Summer Walking  (Read 3212 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Summer Walking
« on: 13:23:55, 12/08/20 »
It has been said that there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.  I can sympathise with that point of view for rain and wind and snow but what about the current weather?  I am walking in a short sleeved lightweight shirt, broad brimmed hat, the lightest trousers I own and shoes rather than boots and it is still unpleasant.  Short of slathering myself in sun-block and strutting around in the nuddy, I am not sure what else I can do?  Even starting early seems to make little difference, walking is still hot, sticky and generally not nice!
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Summer Walking
« Reply #1 on: 13:28:24, 12/08/20 »
That's a shame. It's still pleasant for me (even though I don't regularly go on a "proper walk" I still walk an hour or two a day around Appleby) but it's less pleasant than it would be if it was a bit cooler. Could try carrying around some water to spray mist yourself with?

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:46:18, 12/08/20 »
It's interesting as heat exhaustion is usually a bigger issue for groups in summer than you have with hypothermia in winter.  People just overdo it and end up getting a huge amount of sun when they aren't used to it.

Current weather is a major drag in my opinion, I put out a tonne of heat most of the time and it's great for winter conditions, but I seem to be far too warm for summer exertion most of the time. 

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:51:41, 12/08/20 »
I think there is little that you can do in a heatwave other than a short walk very early or late.
Short of slathering myself in sun-block and strutting around in the nuddy, I am not sure what else I can do?
I trust you’ll spare us that ninthace!
I may complain when we’ve done a long distance walk and the weather hasn’t exactly been kind to us. But I’m always grateful if it’s not been too hot. Much more likely to complete it in the cold, wind and rain than the heat. I remember years ago when we did the C2C In September in less than favourable weather (that’s putting it mildly) and a B&B owner near the end (To make us feel better) informed us that back in March that year they had quite a few cancellations due to unseasonably hot weather and people had been quitting due to heat/sunstroke. And of course following the heat there’s the thunderstorms, give me the cold and wet any day! Don’t forget to remind me of this post when we are next on a LDW  ;D

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:54:24, 12/08/20 »
We're lucky in having a great deal of woodland close by and we've been doing normal distances, albeit mostly in the shade. For example, a few days ago, we did 14+ miles on a woodland walk from home in 30C+ temperatures.

However, a 50K walk that we'd hoped to do this Friday has been put on hold until the forecast has temperatures no higher than 24C - and no thunderstorms either!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:33:18, 12/08/20 »
The heat and high humidity is tough on me - I was almost bought to a standstill climbing Wetherlam Edge on Monday afternoon.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:45:52, 12/08/20 »
 Its very humid at the moment so things are going to be unpleasant whatever time you start.When backpacking in this kind of weather I have always soaked my shirt and hat before I start as it keeps the body comfortable for the first couple of hours.Drinking more than usual and having plenty of rests also seems to help.

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #7 on: 14:50:21, 12/08/20 »
Definately a bit of a drag and its not so warm today here in my part of Cornwall (22.2 currently).  Poor dog who easily manages 20+ miles normally is walloped with 5 at the moment, i am quite heavy to carry mind.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:14:32, 12/08/20 »
Too much for me at the moment. I hate the heat. Down from 130 miles in May & June to 76 in July and hardly been out this month.  Walked my usually jogging route over the hills at the front of the house yesterday.  Roll on the winter, I enjoy the cold far more.  O0

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:21:33, 12/08/20 »
Here in the south-east, we've had temperatures in the 30s for the last several days now and we're looking forward to getting back to something more reasonable.

My hot weather gear is as follows: Tilley hat (soaked in cold water is best!), Craghoppers Nosilife polo shirt (very open weave and the coolest tops I've got), lightweight shorts (Mountain Warehouse), liner socks or running socks, non-waterproof Merrell Cham shoes (meshy and cool). I also carry lots of drink (SiS for sweat replacement!) and for longer walks I ensure extra water/drink will be available somewhere along the way. I also plan walks to include as much shade as possible.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:37:20, 12/08/20 »
I have thought of shorts but in a lot of the areas round here, the ticks check your ID card and blood group before they will let you in. We also have nettles that John Wyndham would doff his cap to. That and the local riding community would not let me wear shorts anyway, as the sight would frighten the horses.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:06:38, 12/08/20 »
In SE here too, and because of the extreme heat I've sitting around indoors doing naff all with the curtains drawn to keep the sun out, just waiting for less hot days when I can get out for some exercise or do things in the garden. When I went to bed last night the temperature on my alarm clock read 29C.

Yesterday a storm approached around dusk but then it veered off to one side. There were some drops of rain that barely wet the pavement (the first there's been for ages), and with no breeze the humidity was worse than ever this morning; even the ten minute walk to Waitrose was very unpleasant.

As I write this, thunder has been rumbling around for a while and now there are some distant flashes of lightning. Fingers crossed!

Warbler

« Reply #12 on: 16:11:19, 12/08/20 »
I haven't walked more than a mile anywhere since last Monday, it's far too oppressive for me. Was supposed to walk a route on the Dorset coast today but have postponed till next week...…….. those cliffs would drop me.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:51:04, 12/08/20 »
I have thought of shorts but in a lot of the areas round here, the ticks check your ID card and blood group before they will let you in. We also have nettles that John Wyndham would doff his cap to. That and the local riding community would not let me wear shorts anyway, as the sight would frighten the horses.

Shorts are vulnerable to all of the things you mention and I've rarely resorted to them before this summer. Of course, we've done walking holidays in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland for the last three summers and Kent winter-wear has been far more appropriate!

No matter how carefully I've planned my walks in shorts this year, there have always been a few paths with nettles and brambles. Not nice, but then again, my warm-weather long trousers are almost transparent to them anyway. To be honest, I don't mind nettle stings too much because they wear off after about 20 minutes, but brambles are a different matter entirely!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:33:06, 12/08/20 »
Today in NE Scotland you would have needed a winter rucksack to carry all the different gear you would need on a walk. Early morning we had big thunderstorms rattling the windows and lighting the sky with simultaneous flashes. These were accompanied by hail and torrential rain. The the coulda departed and we had a clear blue sky, no wind and very non- Scottish humidity. At 1830 it was 29 C in our north facing kitchen. Nowadays heat and humidity quickly bring me to a halt. Bring on the colder weather.

At least we managed to avoid the worst of the storms. Our drive was under water for a short period, but none of the floods seen closer to the coast, which seem to have contributed to a fatal train derailment.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy