Author Topic: BMC Mend our Mountains  (Read 2290 times)

Robnolan

BMC Mend our Mountains
« on: 19:40:56, 14/03/16 »
The BMC have launched a crowdfunder campaign today, to raise £100,000 to help repair some of our most important paths. I would urge everyone to have a look....

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/bmc-calls-on-the-public-to-help-mend-our-mountains-amid-fears-of-footpath-decline

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: BMC Mend our Mountains
« Reply #1 on: 19:01:11, 15/03/16 »
Perish the thought, but how many of us would place a few quid in a designated donation box in and around Snowdon and Scaffel Pike.
Being a regular walker up Snowdon over the last year or two, ive seen the huge boulders in special helicopter harnesses, up and down the llanberis Mountain.

I bet the owner of the Snowdon Mountain Railway, who currently sits on a fortune of £165m being owner of some of the busiest attractions in the Uk, will not make a sizeable donation towards the fund.

£100,000, that peanuts to certain people, the entire team of most Premiership football clubs, are on that kind of money every week.

No, i recon, Mr Cameron and his cronies should do the good thing, and earmark annual funds for the upkeep of national treasures such as Snowdon and Scaffel Pike.

Their free for us to use, and abuse if we want, but how many of us would empty our spare change from our pockets to help.

Next time Mr Rooney receives a caution, fine him  half a weeks wages, and tell him its going towards the upkeep of Snowdon and Scaffel, and see what he says.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:23:09, 15/03/16 »
Well I'd quite happily put some spare change in a collection box to help maintain trails.  Same as I put spare change into the MRT collection boxes. It may not be much but it surely must add up if plenty of other folks do the same.

Robnolan

« Reply #3 on: 22:36:01, 15/03/16 »
I'm sorry for being blunt, but unless we choose to look after our mountains, then no one else will. It is too easy to blame the politicians. The fact is they don't care.

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:07:09, 15/03/16 »
Too true Rob i like the boulder money boxes they have in the Ogwen valley i drop a quid or two in them when i pass i always think its my version of the offerings they give before a Himalayan expedition for a safe journey in the mountains and it helps the upkeep of the paths too

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:30:33, 16/03/16 »
I believe that the car parking fee at PYP goes towards the upkeep of the snowdon paths, so that's my £20 a year sorted  O0

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:02:08, 16/03/16 »
I always thought that Pen Y Pass carpark, was privately owned,hence the crazy parking fee of £10 or is it now £12, to park your vehicle there.
Compare parking charges in the equally busy Rhydd Ddu and Bryn Gwynant carparks, less than half the price.
They are owned and managed by Gwynedd Council, i alway's thought Pen Y Pass carpark was privately owned land, and the owners could charge what they liked.
As for the money going towards the upkeep of the Miners and PYG track, i very much doubt that.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:54:04, 16/03/16 »
...... i alway's thought Pen Y Pass carpark was privately owned land, and the owners could charge what they liked.
As for the money going towards the upkeep of the Miners and PYG track, i very much doubt that.

It would seem the parking fee for the Pen Y Pass car park is used for the upkeep and maintenance of the facilities there.  Old news the link below may be but it explains what the fees are spent on  :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/8507800.stm

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy