Author Topic: Julia Bradbury's Wainwright walks  (Read 9854 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Julia Bradbury's Wainwright walks
« Reply #45 on: 12:03:21, 17/07/09 »
I believe there are questions relating to her doing the whole route or just selected stretches for the cameras?

Filming is time consuming and expensive, why would they let her walk it all if they were not going to use the footage?

As for John Noakes I wasn't doubting his commitment it was just the way the programmes were presented as if it was all spontaneous.
'Oh Shep what is that strange noise. No, wait, come back Shep. It's a man playing the bagpipes, hello can you tell us about the bagpipes?'
That is fine for kids but not when JB almost does the same thing on an adult programme.

Addacomb

• Account Closed
« Reply #46 on: 12:07:35, 17/07/09 »
Ah so she did finish it, just maybe didn't complete it? The magic of television!
I don't know - I had heard she did the whole route - it's just on forums where I read that someone thought she didn't.

Not that it matters - it's just a TV programme!

cr355

« Reply #47 on: 09:21:34, 18/07/09 »
In what way? she makes it look easy sometimes which annoys me! x

not surprising with a full crew & support team behind you, she needed a guide to do sharp edge .. . . . 

what annoys me is that total irritating pretentious immitation of AW's voice.  >:(
An idiot's account of anything sensible is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Addacomb

• Account Closed
« Reply #48 on: 09:38:37, 18/07/09 »
. . 

what annoys me is that total irritating pretentious immitation of AW's voice.  >:(
They didn't even get his accent right. If nothing else that should have been a primary factor.

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #49 on: 09:41:12, 18/07/09 »
not surprising with a full crew & support team behind you, she needed a guide to do sharp edge .. . . . 

I liked that guy though - Dave was it? I thought he was an interesting character. Did he go up Catbells with her too, or somewhere else?
« Last Edit: 12:36:35, 18/07/09 by genji »
"pain is your bodies way of telling you that it is hurting"

cr355

« Reply #50 on: 10:20:44, 18/07/09 »
I liked that guy though - Dave was it? I thought he was an interesting character. Do he go up Catbells with her too, or somewhere else?

he is a cool dude, the local 2 legged mountain goat
An idiot's account of anything sensible is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Addacomb

• Account Closed
« Reply #51 on: 10:36:51, 18/07/09 »
I liked that guy though - Dave was it? I thought he was an interesting character. Do he go up Catbells with her too, or somewhere else?
David Powell-Thompson - and he's not young either, 60 I believe. Here's a page about him  http://www.stridingedge.com/news/jos_naylor_challenge/index.html

cr355

« Reply #52 on: 10:48:14, 18/07/09 »
another thing, why do the bbc always give these documentaries to tv presenters - they would have much more impact if say an unknown lakes enthusiast aka David P-T or the such like

Addacomb

• Account Closed
« Reply #53 on: 10:52:41, 18/07/09 »
another thing, why do the bbc always give these documentaries to tv presenters - they would have much more impact if say an unknown lakes enthusiast aka David P-T or the such like
Preaching to the converted here but I'll tell you why - personalities sell it to the viewers (Joe Public that is - not us lot)

Fran

« Reply #54 on: 10:56:07, 18/07/09 »
I think david goes up every fell with them, to make sure theyre not doing anything wrong, but he was shown on Blencathra and Helvellyn too :)
Little Miss Hillbilly

walking-books

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 11:36:36, 18/07/09 »
David Powell-Thompson - and he's not young either, 60 I believe. Here's a page about him  http://www.stridingedge.com/news/jos_naylor_challenge/index.html

Seems quite a guy to say the least!

To celebrate his 60th birthday in the first week of August he ran the 48 mile route from Pooley Bridge on Ullswater to Greendale Bridge in Wasdale in just over 16 hours. Along the way he crossed 30 summits and climbed 18,000 feet and came in without a blister. Quite an achievement.

:o
Mike

www.walking-books.com
Books, guides and maps on Britain's best scenic walks

Come and have a chat on Twitter - walkingbookscom

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy