Author Topic: Now heavy is your pack for one night?  (Read 6643 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Now heavy is your pack for one night?
« Reply #45 on: 21:24:15, 30/11/18 »
  You honestly cannot afford me and anyway I am fully booked.

I knew that before I wrote it.  ;)

I still have one of those camping gaz stoves you described.  Last used in Switzerland, on a cycling Holliday with Mrs G in 1986.  Built in pans and handel. Great piece of kit.  O0
« Last Edit: 10:12:14, 01/12/18 by BuzyG »

Farnorth

« Reply #46 on: 10:23:13, 01/12/18 »
7Kg excluding camera and tripod. This is without winter kit (crampons, ice axe etc)

Troggy

« Reply #47 on: 12:34:04, 01/12/18 »
I've just bought a new Naturehike Star River 2 off Ebay, after looking at this model and similar 2 door transverse ridge type of tents for a while. It weighs 2.1 kg and looks a good, roomy tent. The only small concern is there's lots of mesh from about a foot up the sides; but seeing as I'll not be using it in winter, it should be fine. With the tent and a Karrimor Jaguar rucksack (again off Ebay) I'm hoping to leave the "that'll come in handy" bits of gear and get the load to around 8-10 kgs.It's not too tight a limit as I don't think I'll be doing any long distance walking, just a couple of miles or so, to a campsite.
 For those who like to walk and carry their kit for a day a more, then the more safe, weight saving that can be made the better.

Doddy

« Reply #48 on: 11:06:28, 06/12/18 »
My hiking base weight is 5.6kg.The same for one night or 65 (which I have done); i.e one night multiplied by 65. Hiking is different to camping and at 35kg you are camping. Ray Mears has something like that but usually has a mule or kayak to carry it.[/color]  

Troggy

« Reply #49 on: 12:27:38, 06/12/18 »
My hiking base weight is 5.6kg.The same for one night or 65 (which I have done); i.e one night multiplied by 65. Hiking is different to camping and at 35kg you are camping. Ray Mears has something like that but usually has a mule or kayak to carry it.[/color]  
What are the items you take that make up the base weight?

Doddy

« Reply #50 on: 13:20:50, 06/12/18 »
 Kit List
Waterproof Jacket & Legs/wind jacket-OR Helium2, ULA rain wrap.
 Sometimes a Patagonia Houdini wind jacket
 Insulated Jacket = Montbell Thermawrap jacket.
Underpants = Paramo
Thermals= Silk long johns and T shirts to sleep in.
 Scarf = Buff
 Socks = Bridgedale Trekker, three pair, one worn.
Footwear = Scott Kinabalu Supertrac trail runners
 Rucksack = Zpacks ArcBlast, Cuben fibre liner, cover and stuff sacks.
 Mapping = Memory Map GB 1.25K on Lenovo P2 phone, OS maps and printed A4 sheets with Ziploc type freezer bag for waterproofing, Map case.
 Portable charger for Lenovo P2
 Camera –on phone
Shelter= Tarptent Notch or TarpTent Moment in late Autumn/Winter.
Western Mountaineering Summerlite sleeping bag and Silk liner, Mountain Laurel Designs Superlite bivvy bag.
Stove = Caldera clone alky setup/ Infernal Cone if woodburning.
Water treatment Sawyer Squeeze/ Aquaventure tabs

Sleeping pad = Klymit ¾ inflatable. Sea to Summit pillow,

Sometimes I also use a Zpacks 3in1 Poncho/g.sheet, backpack cover instead of the OR Helium2 rain jckt: dependent on the length of trip, weather forecast.
« Last Edit: 13:36:06, 06/12/18 by Doddy »

Troggy

« Reply #51 on: 19:04:21, 06/12/18 »
You've got some expensive and top quality gear there and just the job for wild camping/rucksacking. I hadn't heard of the running shoes brand and that's given me an idea. Chester has a couple of shops that stock the shoes and I'll go and have a look at them. The traction looks brilliant and I'd much prefer them to heavy boots/shoes, just hope they do wide fittings.

Doddy

« Reply #52 on: 19:14:47, 06/12/18 »

Thanks Troggy- it has taken me a while to hone my kit list.
 I have now done many miles in the Scott shoes. I had some Vasque shoes before those. I sourced the Vasque on a trip to the US and had several pairs. I  had to order them from the US; though I did manage to get some from Spain! I thought surely I can get some suitable for me in this country and got some good running shop advice about the Scotts. I have two new pair in the cupboard as like other brands Scott will update their range and I might then have to start all over again.

Troggy

« Reply #53 on: 21:18:03, 06/12/18 »
Aye, I can see you've spent many miles and many hours thinking about and collecting what kit will the job you want it to. Some great stuff there. Do you bother with waterproof socks or just change em as and when?

I guess my rucksack weight would be about 25-30lb, maybe a bit more but I'd get the bus to somewhere near a campsite, then do a bit of walking over the week end. I've got an old Karrimor Jaguar 65 and am trying to take just the essentials and leave some of the luxury items at home.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 13:21:14, 07/12/18 »
I've got an old Jaguar 65 too - excellent bit of gear that I still use from time to time.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Maggot

« Reply #55 on: 16:41:29, 07/12/18 »
I've got a Jaguar 65 too!  I will dig it out and we can compare the states they are in  O0

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 17:39:23, 07/12/18 »
Me too  ;D
The only thing wrong with it is the zip on the top pocket is broken,
I've had it 35 years O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 19:50:41, 07/12/18 »
I've had it 35 years O0

I think that I bought mine in 1985, so mine is a couple of years younger than yours.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 20:38:53, 07/12/18 »
Still using my Jaguar 6 75L, khaki and sage green, bought circa 1985 which was a year or two before Karrimor introduced ones with adjustable back lengths.

What is more, between trips it is stored in a cupboard in the original blue-and-white Camping & Outdoor Centre (formerly The Scout Shop) carrier bag that they put it in. I could put a couple of straps on that and use it for my day walks!  :D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 22:34:14, 07/12/18 »

Ah, I think that mine must be from '86 or '87 then, as the back length can be adjusted.

Prior to that I did own a fixed length version, but lost it after just a couple of years.  :(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy