Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 727 times)

mda63

Hello!
« on: 17:27:15, 15/03/17 »
I'm a newcomer to walking as a passion, it might be said (I hesitate to say 'hobby' because I don't want to bizarrely exclude it from everything else in my life, but I digress). I used to go for substantial walks when a teenager, usually creeping to around six miles, but without a sincere plan in mind -- I would often just explore my local urban area, making a circuitous route back to my house.

I'm currently at university, and dealing with a very great deal of stress, anxiety, a bout of depression, and a chronic physical illness; it could be said I'm going through the wars a little bit. On Sunday, after no sleep, my girlfriend and I set out on the Bingley College Centenary Walk, which, for me, was a revelation. Even without sleep, the day was utterly enchanting. The walk is spectacular, and thoroughly recommended, as it snakes its way through spaces which often seem to collide and clash, and paths which take you from one tapestry to the next with a suddenness which occasionally shocks. One truly feels an intimate attachment to the area on this walk, and yet a total displacement of a sense of place for, even with a map, it is often hard to know exactly 'where' you are, in spite of the fact the distant mountains conveyed a sense of home.

After that amazing day, I now fully intend to take up walking as regularly as I can. I plan to join the Ramblers and have 'bookmarked' a great many walks around Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield, and Huddersfield. I hope to undertake my next walk on Friday.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: 18:02:32, 15/03/17 »
Welcome from Portsmouth.

Malcolm B

« Reply #2 on: 18:50:28, 15/03/17 »
Welcome from Suffolk :-)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:23:13, 15/03/17 »
 .......I'm currently at university, and dealing with a very great deal of stress, anxiety, a bout of depression, and a chronic physical illness; it could be said I'm going through the wars a little bit.......  After that amazing day, I now fully intend to take up walking as regularly as I can. ......  

Hi mda and welcome from the Peak District O0

I'm sure you will know just how valuable and important walking could be to both your mental and physical well being. I feel that the more often you do it, the more you will feel your spirits lift...which in turn should help you deal with the stresses and anxieties of being at Uni that much better.  In theory, anyway!

Best wishes,

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

mda63

« Reply #4 on: 11:08:30, 16/03/17 »
Thank you for the welcomes, all!  :)

Hi mda and welcome from the Peak District O0

I'm sure you will know just how valuable and important walking could be to both your mental and physical well being. I feel that the more often you do it, the more you will feel your spirits lift...which in turn should help you deal with the stresses and anxieties of being at Uni that much better.  In theory, anyway!

Best wishes,

Tracey :)

Ah, the Peak District! Lovely. I'm intending to walk up Kinder Scout some time in the near future; a friend of mine who passed on in 2014 was passionate about the place and wanted to take me up there.

I think you're right re: health benefits, Tracey; immediately after my walk the other day I felt much better, in spite of the fact I had a sleepless night that night due to my physical ailments. I must say, though, in the days since, that things have improved somewhat for me, and I am certain that the relaxing effects of the walk have played a part.

Thanks again!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:37:56, 16/03/17 »
Welcome from Devon.  A long walk is often a good means of getting your head sorted as well as being good for the body.
Solvitur Ambulando

mda63

« Reply #6 on: 00:17:01, 18/03/17 »
Welcome from Devon.  A long walk is often a good means of getting your head sorted as well as being good for the body.
Thank you! I'm certainly finding this to be true!

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:44:33, 19/03/17 »
Welcome to the forum.

I've never known to feel worse after a walk (unless yous sustain an injury  ::) ) in fact quite the opposite. I'd recommend the walking groups also, as it will help get you going with ideas on local walks and give you confidence to then go on a do your own thing if you so choose.

Best of luck  O0
roll on the weekend

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy