Author Topic: 2 day walk with wild camp NYMs  (Read 1461 times)

Leonard

2 day walk with wild camp NYMs
« on: 14:31:11, 07/11/08 »
As subject denotes looking to do a two day walk and wild camp on the North York Moors before Xmas. Will be getting the train to Northallerton or Thirsk but could get bus/taxi to start of walk. I don't know the area at all so was looking for suggestions of a couple good routes before I buy a map. Something pretty strenous to blow the cobwebs away would be good.

Thanks

muymalestado

Re: 2 day walk with wild camp NYMs
« Reply #1 on: 20:23:21, 07/11/08 »
Hi Leonard.  Welcome. Hope you enjoy sweating up some slopes soon.
I think this next one will be the top ...

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:19:10, 07/11/08 »
I suppose it would depend on what you mean by "strenuous"...  How far do you think you might walk on each day?  (roughly!)
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Leonard

« Reply #3 on: 23:07:05, 08/11/08 »
I reckon about 14-16 miles each day but a few more would be okay if you know any good routes. Just wanting to get away for a few days between finishing work and beginning xmas.

Cheers

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:31:36, 08/11/08 »
First off, I would say that there are North Yorks Moors experts on this forum who are probably more qualified than me to dish out routes, although I live quite close to thew NYM, I donl;t seem to get there to often.
BUT, it strikes me that as you're on public transport, you could easily do a linear walk rather than a circular one which I think makes the whole project a bit easier to plan  (I'm completely with you on your reasons for doing this by the way, but anyway who needs an excuse....) 16(ish) miles is a reasonable distance too....
So, I think that the Northern scarp of the NYM - the bit overlooking Teeside is the best - its bumpier and has little crags for interest... and I think it would be a nice trek to follow the Cleveland Way Eastwards from Osmotherley - basically for as far as you can get, but see if you could get to the coast. If you cant get that far, you'll have increasing access to public transport to get you away, as you get nearer to Guisborough/the Teeside towns. Plenty of places for a discreet wild camp, and , as this is the "bumpiest" bit of the NYM, you'd get your exercise.....
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy