Author Topic: Other Cairngorm Possibilities  (Read 1379 times)

myxpyr

Other Cairngorm Possibilities
« on: 21:19:03, 21/08/19 »
Just been looking at the map with a view to other options as well as the Lairig Ghru, if time and weather permit.
Has anyone any knowledge of the route up Glen Derry to the Hutchison Memorial Hut and the possibly to or over Ben Macdui?

snoopdawg

Re: Other Cairngorm Possibilities
« Reply #1 on: 23:02:36, 21/08/19 »
Just been looking at the map with a view to other options as well as the Lairig Ghru, if time and weather permit.
Has anyone any knowledge of the route up Glen Derry to the Hutchison Memorial Hut and the possibly to or over Ben Macdui?

Hello myxpyr   here is a link to a previous cairngorm trip of mine from 3 yrs back https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=67416   

Basically the route is quite easy IMO given the right weather. The route from Derry Lodge up to the Hutchie hut should take around 2 1/2hrs. From there it is well marked path up to Loch Etchacahan. From there it is an easy contouring path up to the first shoulder from where you will see you can easily access Derry Cairngorm,reverse and go onto Ben Macdui. From there you could reach the top  car park below Cairngorm if that is your intention in about 3 hrs

scottk

« Reply #2 on: 23:11:32, 21/08/19 »
The path from Derry up to the hut is very good and easy walking. I walked the Lairig an Laoigh a few weeks ago and passed the hut before stopping near Glenmore lodge.
Lovely place to walk. You need to turn right before crossing the bridge at Derry Lodge as the bridge to get back over(Derry Dam, I think) is still in need of repairs. ( Doesn’t make much difference in time and you could cross the bridge if absolutely necessary)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:40:36, 22/08/19 »
Glen Feshie is gorgeous, and has an excellent bothy - a possible bad weather alternative to the Lairig Ghru.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy