Author Topic: Arthur’s Seat  (Read 2107 times)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
Arthur’s Seat
« on: 22:58:49, 23/08/19 »
i find myself with a spare few hours in Edinburgh. Which routes do you recommend up Arthur’s Seat? If anyone can post a pic of an os map trace that’d be helpful - a sketch map route I have found online doesn’t totally marry up with my os map.
Thanks!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Arthur’s Seat
« Reply #2 on: 06:50:39, 24/08/19 »
I've climbed Arthur's Seat many times as I have often been in Edinburgh for work; a great place to spend an evening.

Starting near the Scottish Parliament, my favourite route takes the path that traverses below Salisbury Crags, and then through some scrubby woodland, before finally tackling the climb up to the summit. Nether Hill or Crow Hill a few hundred metres to the S or SE are good places to escape the horde that you will meet on the summit.

https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MjU4NTk4Ng==

I would often descend ESE from the saddle between Nether Hill and Crow Hill on a less well used path that traverses through foxgloves and gorse, then drops down to Queens Drive, the road that encircles Arthur's Seat, cross the road and go down a series of steps to The Sheep Heid Inn in Duddingston for a pint and a meal!

Queen's Drive makes a fine circuit for a run too (if you don't mind a bit of a climb). Some fine basalt columns above the lower road between Duddingston and Edinburgh too.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:49:47, 24/08/19 »
 It was a surprisingly lengthy walk there from my b&b north of the city centre, I think I went via Calton. I went to be shown an exceedingly rare fern that grew there. My tip: don't go immediately after a few cups of tea at breakfast, for there are no facilities, lots of people about and no cover. I was forced to go over a wall and water a gorse bush while my companions all politely looked the other way.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:32:32, 24/08/19 »
I followed the road, I ran it with hundreds of other early morning joggers. Worse than my city main shopping street on a Saturday morning!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:05:14, 25/08/19 »
Here you are, Sarah.

https://ibb.co/t8J8m93

The descent down the many steps to the Sheeps Heid can be omitted if you wish, just turn right onto Queen's Drive.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:11:29, 25/08/19 »
The good people of Edinburgh are so lucky to have such an excellent mini-mountain right on their doorsteps.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:35:21, 03/09/19 »
Thanks all.

You are so right Richard - Arthur's Seat is a gem in the heart of the city.

When we got there, the path under Salisbury Crags was closed due to a rockfall - so we followed the pilgrims/crowds up the tourist route. We cam down a different way - a steep stepped track onto Queen's Drive and strolled back for an ice cream.

Fab views, steepish final pull to the summit and loads of different routes to take off it to escape the crowds.

Thanks!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:34:37, 03/09/19 »
Lived in Scotland for 18 years, near Stirling. Only been to Edinburgh three times and never been up Arthur's seat :-[ . maybe I should.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:44:57, 04/09/19 »
Hello,  used to go there for cragging when I was a lad. Pleasant summit with fine views....even fished for Perch in the lochan and when much younger in the other Loch  made friends with rhe geese.
A great amenity in the midst of a big city.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:06:44, 04/09/19 »
Glad that you enjoyed Arthur's Seat, Sarah.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:51:35, 04/09/19 »
My son went to university in Edinburgh, his halls backed onto Arthurs Seat, he then stayed on living in Edinburgh for the next 12 years. In my opinion, the best looking large city in the UK and the best extinct volcano to boot! I'll miss going up there. Number one son has now decided to move South and his last day in Edinburgh was yesterday, today he is somewhere on the M6, M40 or A34 driving towards us.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy