Author Topic: Fairfield Horseshoe  (Read 7349 times)

titaniumdude

Fairfield Horseshoe
« on: 22:49:18, 23/07/07 »
Visited this place a couple of weeks ago.  An absolutely fabulous walk starting and finishing in Ambleside, though if you want to avoid extortionate parking costs you can arrive early and park for nowt in the road next to Rydal Hall and start from there.  About 10 miles and 3000ft of total ascent, but well worth the effort.  We took our time and spent about 7 hours on the route with breaks, but the record for the annual fell race is 75 minutes.  Don't think I'll be on the winners podium for that one :).

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

marmot

Re: Fairfield Horseshoe
« Reply #1 on: 20:06:32, 24/07/07 »
You mean you parked at the church at Rydal below Nab Scar without the obligatory contribution (there's a box on the wall).  You'll be struck down!
Nice pics.

titaniumdude

« Reply #2 on: 00:13:07, 25/07/07 »
You mean you parked at the church at Rydal below Nab Scar without the obligatory contribution (there's a box on the wall).  You'll be struck down!
Nice pics.

Lol.  Nah, I was one of the muppets that payed 7 quid to park next to the police station on the outskirts of Ambleside.  Spotted the more convenient parking on the way up, but didn't see the voluntary contribution box.  I'll keep it in mind though as I've got this bookmarked on my to do list for the coming winter.  I'd imagine this to be quite a spectacular walk in the snow.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:15:22, 25/07/07 »
Nice pics.

Lol.  Nah, I was one of the muppets that payed 7 quid to park next to the police station on the outskirts of Ambleside.  Spotted the more convenient parking on the way up, but didn't see the voluntary contribution box.  I'll keep it in mind though as I've got this bookmarked on my to do list for the coming winter.  I'd imagine this to be quite a spectacular walk in the snow.

Get there early enough and park at Miller Bridge for nowt!

Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

marmot

« Reply #4 on: 20:51:19, 25/07/07 »
I'd imagine it to be good in snow too - no serious difficulties.  Navigation could be tricky in mist on parts of it though.

Jabba

« Reply #5 on: 17:52:17, 02/08/07 »
Been up there a few times in the snow. The last time we dropped off the horse shoe and went up the back of Red Screes, and then dropped down to Kirkstone pass. It's a long day but is good for the mileage.

Snowman

« Reply #6 on: 15:20:33, 25/08/07 »
I did this over Easter quite a few years ago.   Great walk except at Easter it's a bit busy.   The pics are great as I can see what it would be like without the crowds, and they bring back some memories.

S.

akiralx

« Reply #7 on: 16:36:21, 06/09/07 »

Yep did it a few months ago on a quiet weekday, started 8am finished 5pm with some breaks, best day I've had on the fells.  Parked by Rydal Church (with the divinely obligatory £1).

A few shots (trying not to duplicate the good ones above):

Rydal Water from Nab Scar:

View west over Coniston Fells:

Helvellyn from Fairfield:

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy