Author Topic: The First Recorded Ascent of Telly Tubby Mountain and Accompanying Trip  (Read 4031 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Today we walked out of the S end of the village and just kept turning right until we got back.
But first, having been training for weeks, I thought I would have a go at scaling Telly Tubby Mountain.  The view from the lower slopes is daunting but with my wife's shouts of encouragement ringing in ears I set off.

After several seconds mad scrambling I make it and am rewarded with a magnificent view of the grass covered prairie and the sacred silver birch worshipped by the indigenous people.  It is said there are vast reserves of natural gas under the mountain.

After an equally perilous descent we set off leaving TTM far behind.  Most of the way was on roads and the air was gin clear so we could see as far as Dartmoor to the S and Exmoor to the N but alas no pictures, my mobile is not that good at distant views so we will have to settle for Thelbridge Church at the half way point.

The hedgerows are full of flowers, we have done Primroses and Stitchwort so here is another one.

This is the Pirates' Bridge in Drayford.  We know that because they left their flag behind.  Many of the treads are rotten, some have already plunged into the Dart and many of those that are left are hanging by a thread.  Only Indiana Jones could cross it now.

Heading back into the village past the egg shop.

Past some pretty trees in a cottage garden

Back into the main square to a bit of shopping for the neighbours.  By the way, that is the gin shop on the far side of the square.
« Last Edit: 14:24:46, 07/04/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Strange looking trig point on TTM there.  Were you not tempted to plant a flag and claim the summit?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Strange looking trig point on TTM there.  Were you not tempted to plant a flag and claim the summit?
Modesty forbade it.  That and the possibility of a gas leak if I drove the flag in too hard.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
Haha  :D   Will you be attempting a return to TTM to beat your personal best time?

I like the pirates bridge too.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Haha  :D   Will you be attempting a return to TTM to beat your personal best time?

I like the pirates bridge too.
The TTM has an interesting history.  According to oral tradition some say it is the property of the god Ka-Law, others say it belongs to the great god  Ho-Mona while yet others say because it has twin peaks it is shared between the two gods Ho-Mona and Nay-Bor.  According to the ancient scrolls in my possession, it belongs to Ka-Law and that Ho-Mona and Nay-Bor have to pay Ka-Law homage.  I have skied down TTM but the event was not recorded so does not count.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
Another very amusing trip report  O0

;D @ TTM
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Great TR  O0  very funny.

Jac

• Veteran Member
A challenger to The Ascent of Rum Doodle

A local gin shop!!!!! For local people? (to quote Karl & LofG)

LOL :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Made me smile, ninthace  :)

The purple flower is Periwinkle, by the way.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
The TTM has an interesting history.  According to oral tradition some say it is the property of the god Ka-Law, others say it belongs to the great god  Ho-Mona while yet others say because it has twin peaks it is shared between the two gods Ho-Mona and Nay-Bor.  According to the ancient scrolls in my possession, it belongs to Ka-Law and that Ho-Mona and Nay-Bor have to pay Ka-Law homage.  I have skied down TTM but the event was not recorded so does not count.

;D ;D
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Very good!  O0
I bet you have fun with the mower on TTM (especially if it's the sit-on type)  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Very good!  O0
I bet you have fun with the mower on TTM (especially if it's the sit-on type)  :)
I use a hover. It's no bovver!
(Provided I have a sit down and a cold beer afterwards to ease my aching back  O0 )  
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Just caught this thread Ninthace.   Those Devon Moles are legendary.  O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Didn't take long to find the village from your photo.  But Having virtually walked the local lanes, I haven't found the Egg shop yet.  :)

« Last Edit: 09:18:13, 16/04/20 by BuzyG »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Didn't take long to find the village from your photo.  But Having virtually walked the local lanes, I haven't found the Egg shop yet.  :)

You could have just Googled the Mitre pub from my previous post  ;)
As to the egg shop - that is a not very closely guarded secret.  You will not find Chateau Ninthace on StreetView though. :)

For you diligence, here is another legend of TTM.
Long ago, in the mists of time (last year) the god Ka-Law left Ho-Mona a scroll saying "Thou hast found favour in my sight and lo, even though thou wast not here to worship me, nevertheless I have replenished the source of thy fire within my mountain but thou owest me great homage for my beneficence."  And Ho-Mona did look at the scroll and thought "That is a lot of fire, yeah it is twice the size of the cavern within the mountain"  And Ho-Mona spake unto Ka-law saying "How many caverns did thee fill" and Ka-Law said "Why both of them!"
Hearing this Ho-Mona was full of wrath and said, "Thou dolt. Thou has also filled the cavern of Nay-bor, who has not found favour with thee, he worships at the altar of Few-Loyl!  I will not render thee homage for that which is not mine!"  And Ka-Law said "Art thou sure?" to which Ho-Mona replied "Verily, for the sacred pipes enter not the dwelling of Nay-bor and he has never worshipped thee!"
And so it was that Ka-Law halved the homage of Ho-Mona.  From that day forward, it is said, that Ho-Mona has been on a quest for Tea and Peace and if he ever finds Tea Peace, he will plunder the reserves of Nay-Bor while Ka-Law is not looking.  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy