Author Topic: Boot arriving creased at toe?  (Read 5233 times)

Misty

Boot arriving creased at toe?
« on: 19:02:28, 15/08/20 »
Hello,

I have never posted here before but am looking for some advice/opinions.

I recently purchased a pair of new leather walking boots from a reputable company. I purchased them online, direct from the manufacturers website. When they arrived, I noticed immediately that one boot was quite heavily creased across the toe, whilst the other boot looked normal (new and uncreased!). I thought perhaps the creasing could be from a previous customer having tried them on and so I tried them on myself and walked around on our carpeted floor. The boot which was not creased remained uncreased but the boot which was creased bent very easily as I walked. I love the boots, they are a good fit and just what I have been looking for but I am concerned about the heavy creasing and worried the leather may be weak or that it might crack in the future. I contacted the company twice, voicing my concerns and sent them photos of the creasing but they have not replied and it is over a week ago now. It is frustrating as I am longing to wear them but am wondering if I should try to return them for an exchange? My partner thinks I am being silly and should just wear them as they will inevitability end up creased anyway but I am concerned and puzzled as to how one boot is already creased before it has even been worn?

If anyone who is more experienced could offer me their thoughts, even if it is to say that there is no need to worry, I would be very grateful!

I wanted to attach the photos here so people could see for themselves but can not figure out how or if it is even possible?

Thank you in advance!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Boot arriving creased at toe?
« Reply #1 on: 19:55:10, 15/08/20 »
Phone them, do not get off the phone until someone has agreed to replace then or refund you and then send them back.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:20:03, 15/08/20 »
I think you should name and shame this "reputable company", because not responding to you for a week is unacceptable - how much did you spend on the boots? - and also because it is possible that the company might not be highly reputable in the eyes of the experienced members on here.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:24:05, 15/08/20 »
as previous replies. Do not accept faulty goods especially walking boots and as the company has not acknowledged your complaint then do name and shame.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Misty

« Reply #4 on: 22:08:39, 15/08/20 »
Thank you for all the replies, you are right that I should phone them and will do on Monday! I don't really want to name and shame them as I think they are understaffed at the moment with Covid-19 and probably under pressure, also it might just be me over reacting to the creases?! My partner seems to think it doesn't matter!  He is not the one who paid for them or who walks for miles every day though! That's why I was hoping to be able to post the photos on here, to see what other people thought. They were £99 reduced from £129 in some sort of perpetual sale and I had a 15% discount code so  paid £84 or thereabouts. I bought them to replace my Meindls (which were originally acquired second hand and are now literally in pieces!). Apart from the creases across the toe they seem like good boots.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:31:39, 15/08/20 »
Just to add.
Some companies will try to get you to deal with the manufacturer, have no truck with this. You bought the boots from the shop, they are not as described or pictured. If THEY then want to take this up with the people who sold the boots to them that is their choice.
The price and the discount makes no difference unless they were sold as seconds.
Once you've got your replacement boots you'll be able to go outdoors and enjoy the countryside.

fatmanwalking

« Reply #6 on: 22:34:48, 15/08/20 »
If it were me? No chance of letting them off the hook. I wouldn't buy boots and then let the company walk all over me with them. I suspect they are trying to delay you initiating a refund in 14 days which is your right by law for a mail-order (internet) purchase.

Some people prefer an easy life, and will accept this kind of rubbish, because of this retailers will try to make it more difficult to return things.

Usually you can leave bad feedback, write a scathing review, complain about the poor service, but when they maintain their own website that avenue is cut off completely and you're even more so at the mercy of their staff. This is why amazon ruined regular shopping because their primary selling point was a no questions asked returns policy. I worked in a shop selling televisions and we made it very difficult to return your stuff, we tried everything we could possibly think of to make it difficult and convince you to keep it. Every refund impacted our daily sales figures and that wasn't something we liked. In contrast I bought a TV for my parents which went faulty, amazon support immediately issued a collection, once they had collected it they refunded. No sending back for testing. No umming and ahhing. No trying to fob me off with the insurance provider.

I know very little about the law, but I would imagine that your rights significantly reduce after the initial 14 days, so I would research online what is available to you.

Now, if I buy something clearly repackaged as it was used and sent back, I will kick off. I have also accepted a 30% discount on a piece of equipment, I was initially ignored when I complained and received totally nonsensical email replies but in that instance I was buying through amazon so ultimately they stepped in and sorted it out but the seller definitely tried to avoid helping me.

There was one time I managed to get pc world to BEG ME to come in store to resolve an issue. Social media helped me there.

I would be miffed about it like you are. You shouldn't have to put up with shoddy quality.

(edit; seems I was a bit slow in writing my post lol)

Misty

« Reply #7 on: 22:55:39, 15/08/20 »
I have been trying to follow instructions from another post on here and using "postimg" to upload some photos (so people can see if it really is an issue or if I am just being pedantic!) but perhaps it will not allow me as I am a new member? Thank you for the heads up about getting it resolved before the 14 days is up!

Misty

« Reply #8 on: 22:56:55, 15/08/20 »
Seems it worked!

Misty

« Reply #9 on: 22:58:10, 15/08/20 »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:10:31, 15/08/20 »
Far worse than I imagined. They should definitely go back.  :o

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 06:19:08, 16/08/20 »
Here's a link to a previous post explaining what your rights are under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=36810.msg523727#msg523727

Regardless of the manufacturer, boots do not leave any factory in that condition!

In my opinion those boots are quite clearly either customer returns that they're trying to dump on you or a shop/factory display model that is heavily worn. The leather is clearly cracked and already starting to split and that will pretty quickly only get worse over time.

My advice would for you to reject them immediately and insist on a full refund. Check your delivery note/paperwork or their website for details on how to return them.

You do not want a replacement pair under any circumstances as you now know what will happen to the leather over time. Regardless of the price they were and the price you paid unfortunately sub-standard poor quality leather has been used in their manufacture.

Get your money back and take your business elsewhere.

It would be very helpful if you could provide the make and model of the boots involved so that similar alternative boots could be recommended for you to consider.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 06:47:35, 16/08/20 »
Far worse than I imagined. They should definitely go back.  :o

Agree.

It really does like creases caused by boot being tried on repeatedly with laced pulled really tight, given where creases are.

But whatever the cause impossible  to argue that the boot is in the mint condition you’d expect and demand in a new boot from a premium manufacturer.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 07:54:25, 16/08/20 »
Looks as if you are being fobbed off with a customer return; disgraceful. Insist upon a refund, and please name the company.

PS - welcome to the forum  :)
« Last Edit: 09:23:48, 16/08/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:48:55, 16/08/20 »
Agreed, send them back, I dont believe they are 'new and unused'

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy